XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

brake lights just stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake lights just stopped working

just the other day went in for an inspection and noticed my brake lights were not working. since its just the brake lights (third light as well on trunk) i thought it was a fuse so i replaced the 15a fuse in the number 19 spot in the passenger side fuse box as well as the relay in the trunk, the one with the yellow base that is specified as the stop lamp in the electrical diagrams in the manual. did not work...any one got any other ideas? the rear lights work with the just turning the light switch, just no brake lights when depressing the brakes. before i go changing the brake light switch how do you test it. But I think i hear a clicking noise i never have heard before under the center console by the gear shift. and yes i can shift out of park just fine.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

What model XJS

You need to add this info to your signature, as the changes in various systems over the XJS life are numerous and to get correct information the model is needed.

I'd be looking at the brake switch.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:25 AM

it is a 1995 pjs 2+2 convertible. but thanks i'll check the brake switch.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Just look at the diagram and work your way back in the circuit. Does the fuse block have power? Does the brake switch have power? Is there power AFTER the brake switch? On and on until you find where there is no longer power and whatever is before that is your issue.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I recently wrestled with that issue on a similar but different car. My 83 XJ wuzza 6.
I suspect but, don't knw for sure just how similar.

My issue was found in two places!!!

1. A plumb sore out ignition switch was not providing power to a fuse block.
2. The brake light switch itself.

After considerable work arounds that worked in a way... NOS stuff from David Boger ,everydayxj, and that issue and others went away!!!

Carl

Old 07-10-2017, 11:10 AM

well i finally found a brake light switch and replaced it. but that wasn't it but i narrowed it down. the brake lights worked for about 2 presses on the pedal then the fuse blew. I put in another fuse and it blew immediately after pressing the brake pedal. And then i put another fuse in to be sure and it blew immediately after pressing the brake pedal. So now i assume there is a short or something. Anyone got any ideas?

Old 07-10-2017, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yup, A "dead short.

1. White wire from the switch to the fuse panel.

2. At the pedal and down and left towards the lamps. Check behind the brake pedal. And the door post as that is where the "hot" brake light signal goes aft to the lamps !!

Carl

The following users liked this post:
blackprophet (07-10-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

If you don't want to keep having to replace fuses every time you test then take a blown fuse and solder an incandescent bulb across it, 40watt will work. If there is a high current draw the bulb will light up and when you fix it the circuit will work and bulb will not light.

Remove all the brake globes and check again, I have seen a bulb go faulty and blow the fuse.

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (11-21-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 04:00 PM
Default finally got it

It was the trunk mounted brake light that was causing the fuse to blow. Just disconnected it for now but my others are working now.