XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Brake pads and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 08:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Brake pads and rotors

Rotors are warn, pads are warn, time to start looking for pads and rotors. Anyone try C Brakes out of California on E Bay. Seem to look ok as far as reviews on e bay. Silver Zinc, cross drilled, slotted ceramic pads....Front and rear, 4 rotors and pads for $220 shipping included. Seems like a good deal. Any problems on doing the brakes on am XJS. Blessings, Susan and Ken

Old 01-17-2014, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I'm not familiar with that brand/vendor, sorry. It's ahrd to know what you're buying these days, especially when the price seems almost too good.

Cross drilled rotors, especially bargain priced ones, get mixed reviews.

I've had good luck with Brembo, Wagner, Lucas, Bendix, and NAPA brand rotors.

Akebono ceramic pads are fantastic but I don't think they're available for your car. ou might try Raybestos RPG....another of my favorites.

As for the work t hand I'm not sure how much detail you might require but if you've replaced pads and rotors on any other car you can surely replace 'em on your XJS, especially since yours has the outboard rear brakes.

When you remove the front calipers don't loose (or ignore) the shim(s) that go between the steering arm and the vertical link, items 21, 13, and 12 respectively, in the illustration below.

Hub and Stub Axle Carrier - Parts For XJS from (V)179737 to (V)226645 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Repack the front wheel bearings while you're at it. It's probably been ages since last done.

Post back if needed.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Hi Ken,

Good to see you on the forum. Congrats on the new cat, I enjoyed reading your account in the Litter Box

I have no experience with the brand you have listed but I did replace my rotors and pads last year. I went with Centric Premium rotors, they were about $55 each delivered and seem to be very good quality at the price. I bought EBC greenstuff pads, they were a little pricey but I'm happy with their performance and feel, longevity is yet to be seen.

As Doug mentioned, replacing the rotors and pads is a very straightforward job and I also recommend repacking the front bearings. On the rear it would be a good idea to inspect the handbrake drums as well as they are often worn out or rusted in place from non-use.

It's a big heavy car that is hard on the brake components so good quality is very important if you drive with brio

Old 01-18-2014, 09:26 AM
Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts

Susan and Ken,

I did some work on calipers/rotors/pads/bearings not too long ago. As mentioned earlier, it's not too taxing a job. However, this step by step "how to" was a big help.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ers-faq-69518/

And this one is also worth reading. It relates to rotors and pads.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...options-60488/

There is a lot of good information here on this forum, and a lot of good people willing to help.

Bill

Old 01-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thank You All, for the great ideas and help. I have got the rotors, picked them up this afternoon at a great price. Standard, Solid, Jag. old stock from David at everyday XJ in Rockwell NC. So now the decision is...what type and brand of pads. The articles you all have sent, assume high performance, this car is a daily driver, No high speeds, No racing... just trips to the store, and car shows. I want safety and long life. The car has 125000 miles on her, and this appears to be the first time the pads have beed replaced, so original equipment should be ok.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Ken,

You should be able to get a set of Mintex or Ferodo's for about $75 or so for the whole car.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:01 PM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by foreverhisx2
Rotors are warn, pads are warn, time to start looking for pads and rotors. Anyone try C Brakes out of California on E Bay. Seem to look ok as far as reviews on e bay. Silver Zinc, cross drilled, slotted ceramic pads....Front and rear, 4 rotors and pads for $220 shipping included. Seems like a good deal. Any problems on doing the brakes on am XJS. Blessings, Susan and Ken

I bought a set from them, only haven't gotten them put on yet. they seem decent to me and did make sure of the yr of the car, and the type of rear you have. I may be sometime before I get them on but when I do I will try to do a follow up on how they are.