XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Breakdown Insurance-Worthwhile or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Hi Greg

Just been checking the Handbook

If you have the Front Wheels on the Spec Lift, then disconnect the Prop shaft as you say

Otherwise Tow Backwards with the Rear Wheels on the Spec Lift and Key out of the Ignition

In which case it would be preferable to ask the Recovery Operator to send out a Low Loading Trailer

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 08:40 AM
Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom

Although I do agree with what you say about fixing the Car, as the very last thing I want to do is be Towed to a Garage, where you are at the mercy of whatever they may want to charge
Most will tow to a place of your choice, not just the nearest garage, so you just get it taken home.

These guys know how to tow cars without damage, so I wouldn't start fretting about disconnecting propshafts, etc.

orangeblossom (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
In which case it would be preferable to ask the Recovery Operator to send out a Low Loading Trailer
Also, make sure that you are yourself familiar with the proper tie downs for your particular car. About ten years ago I had to call for a flatbed for my 69 Corvette (also the fuel pump, I don't know what it is with me and fuel pumps). After waiting a very long time, a young man finally showed up with the tow truck. Asking what took so long, he admitted that when they heard it was a Corvette, the older guys didn't want to take it and so they waited to give it to the rookie. He'd never loaded a Corvette before. He was looking all over for the slots to attach T-hooks and was trying to reach his boss on the phone to ask for instruction. Luckily, I had trailered the Corvette home from Austin when I bought it a couple years earlier so I knew how to tie it down. But I had seen on a few classic cars where a hole in the frame was torn out or bent and had always wondered what happened. After watching that young tow truck driver looking for someplace to attach his hooks, I realized what I'd been seeing was most probably damage from incorrectly securing cars on a flatbed.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Pdupler

These Guys in the (UK) RAC/AA have got an amazing reputation but even so I will be taking your advice

Thanks for your help

Alex

Old 05-31-2019, 12:21 PM
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Slight side note to this thread I can't help sharing...: When I was little (in the 60's) my Dad was an AA member and proudly fitted his AA badge to the front of his Austin A35, we went from Bolton, Manchester to Cornwall for holidays (Vacation...) and yes broke down, in those days there were few callboxes around and obviously no cell phones, you had to look for an AA man driving past - usually on a motorbike and sidecar! He had me and my brother holding up the yellow AA owners manual to try and flag them down on the opposite side of the road! Happy times. How the world has changed

So, I joined the AA when I got married - mainly if the wife broke down, used it occasionally and they were fantastic. Moved to Vancouver 14 years ago and joined the BCAA, cover is just as good and worth every penny (cent!). Oh and you don't need to send your kids out to flag them down!

Old 05-31-2019, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Comments on "break down insurance.

1. Your policy has a couple of forms of it as options. if you have collision and/or comprehensive and your car is disabled by a covered peril, tow service is included. At times, a couple of trips. the storage lot and then to the repair shop.

Another is the road service. Care about the benefit. the limit may not and is probably not enough to get you very far!!!.

Same with Auto Club or other similar. A premium option is needed. Base will not get much. Tow service is expansive around here. Cheap minimum 100 Bucks.…

Almost all service is no by flat bed. The Wreckers, with hooks are a thing of the past.
Or used in special situations.

2. Check out a-1 Tow service in Cameron North Carolina. Johnathan Winans Proprietor. Interestig guy a master at recovery. You Tube has him.
Buitt his own equipment except for one later one.

Carl

Old 05-31-2019, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Kjopen

Thank you for that, as it does make me feel a lot better but all the same I'm hoping that I'll never have to use it, though this time as an aside from me

When I recently went to a Yard Sale I picked up a Vintage AA Badge and also one for the RAC and the RAC Badge is on the Grill of 'Cherry Blossom' right now

kjopen (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 04:24 PM
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Images attached for our North American friends who must be wondering what the hell we are talking about... Royal Automobile Club Badge

Automobile Association Badge

Austin A35 like my dad's. I wouldn't hesitate in joining the AA considering the age of our jags and the nightmare of getting them safely home

Edit: just noticed this A35 has an AA windscreen badge! Must be an omen - get joining!

Last edited by kjopen; 05-31-2019 at 04:28 PM. Reason: adding note
Old 05-31-2019, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Carl

I've gone for the 'Full Monty' with all the 'Optional Extras' and all the 'Bells and Whistles' none of which I am never intending to use but having the Engine Cut out like it did on such a busy dual carriageway, really freaked me out

So now I am taking no chances, as even though I'm still learning how to fix things on the Jag, its very reassuring to know these guys have got your back

kjopen (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Kjopen

Snap!

kjopen (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

Just to add my two cents. I've been really happy with plus membership from AAA. I've got the extended towing range of 100 miles as opposed to the basic 7 mile range. You can string together a couple of tows, four per vehicle per member. That's eight tows between my Wife and myself.It has come in very handy. It is much safer to have the car removed from the highway instead of trying to fix it on the side of the road. Traffic is not the only danger you might encounter. If you don't want it taken to a dealer or mechanic you can have it taken to a nearby gas station or motel where the manger might let you work on it in the back parking lot. It does provide a lot of peace of mind, and eliminates the hassle of calling around trying to find a local tow truck. It really is a bargain and you get DMV registration and transfer services also.

orangeblossom (06-01-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 12:49 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Rivguy

You are absolutely right, in unexpected situations like the one I recently encountered, you need to get to Safety as soon as you possibly can

So having signed up for a breakdown service that will Tow me anywhere that I want to go, that's one thing less to worry about in the future

Though not being a 'Snowflake' I'd rather that they Towed me home so that I can fix her myself

Greg in France (06-01-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

I’ve had the opportunity to use Roadside Assistance plans several times. Both a flatbed and a wrecker have towed Jessie. When the wrecker came I started to protest, but they all carry dollys for the rears and just strap them on and go.

I cannot fathom the idea of a tow driver under my car while it’s suspended on a wrecker, disassembling my drivetrain by the side of the road. Has anyone actually witnessed this back in the day? I’d uber to go rent a car hauler and a pickup before that would go down.

These plans are obviously a bargain if you use them once. Here, real price for a tow of 15 miles are well in excess of an annual plans cost. And if you never use it, and you’re feeling particularly chintzy just “run out of gas” and they’ll bring you 2-5 gallons. Ask for Premium! Partial rebate!

Old 06-01-2019, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Carl

If I ever broke down (again!) and I said to the Guy don't bother trying to fix it as I can do that myself, if you would just get me and my Car home

Then I would not mind betting that they would be happy to do so, when you consider all the time and hassle it would save and in any event calling them out would be a last resort, as for me that would be a back up plan I'd never want to use

Old 06-01-2019, 10:12 AM
Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by JigJag

I cannot fathom the idea of a tow driver under my car while it’s suspended on a wrecker, disassembling my drivetrain by the side of the road. Has anyone actually witnessed this back in the day? I’d uber to go rent a car hauler and a pickup before that would go down.
If the car had to be towed with a set of wheels on the ground, they'd lift the rears and tow the car backwards with the front wheels on the ground. The wheels lock in the straight position, so it's not a problem.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Originally Posted by bladerunner919
If the car had to be towed with a set of wheels on the ground, they'd lift the rears and tow the car backwards with the front wheels on the ground. The wheels lock in the straight position, so it's not a problem.
Assuming you mean the steering lock, mine does not!

orangeblossom (06-02-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 03:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

AA here in Japan, known as JAF (Japan Automobile Federation) is 4,000 yen a year, 2,000 yen for family members. So for my wife and me, that's 44 quid, 55 USD. They'll only tow for free up to 15 km however, so when getting insurance, one of my biggest concerns was towing. Sony Insurance will tow me 50 km to a garage of my choice, or unlimited to the nearest garage if I break down in the wop-wops. I've used Sony's twice, and JAF once--the JAF one included about two hours of free mechanical work as the two guys tested relays and whatnot trying to work out why she wouldn't start. So that was very good value for money. JAF will also provide fuel, but while the service is "free," the fuel itself is not--but at least they only charge market rates.

I forget my Sony Insurance rates, but they're about 30,000 yen a year (for a lot more than towing, of course--but no body damage unless caused by another car etc. hitting me is covered: body damage insurance on older luxury cars basically does not exist in Japan, until you get old enough to be an official Classic (pre-1974) and even then I think it's only for show cars).

Short answer: I would not own a classic car without towing insurance. I simply wouldn't.

JAF guys waiting for the tow after admitting defeat and suspecting a bad fuel pump.

Flatbed truck. Had to push her into a part of the underground carpark that was high enough for the truck.

Unloading at Watanabe Motors, Nagoya.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:14 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Greg

What do you think would happen if you Towed a Car rearwards, without a Steering Lock holding the Front Wheels Straight?

Old 06-02-2019, 04:27 AM
Received 227 Likes on 147 Posts

Usually they tie the steering wheel for extra security so they don't only rely on the lock.

Some day Some day - I have not seen that type of flat bed truck before, we have tilt trucks which are common - but first I have seen like that

Cheers
Steve

Old 06-02-2019, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Bez

I don't like the sound of that idea at all

If I'm paying Top Dollar I want a Professional Service, rather than a 'Cowboy Job' with Sealing Wax and String

Quick Reply: Breakdown Insurance-Worthwhile or Not?