XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Broken exhaust stud

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 04:38 PM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Broken exhaust stud

hi all
my 78 Daimler V12 has a broken exhaust stud on the Left Hand bank no.3 cylinder
my desire to remove the engine to remove the manifold to remove the broken stud is low
Has anyone had any success in drilling out and removing a broken stud in situ?
The car is not an XJS and I believe the engine bay is a little more roomy
Thanks all
al

Old 06-03-2018, 09:07 AM
Received 169 Likes on 133 Posts

You should not have to remove the engine if you pull the head instead.

On the other hand, if you are not comfortable pulling the head, then the engine might need to come out.

Another option is to cut a 2" hole in the fender well and change the stud with the head and engine in place.

The portion of the stud in the head is coarse thread. Is any of the stud protruding? I am assuming that the exhaust manifold has been removed?

Can you position a mirror and take a photo of the broken stud?

With the exhaust manifold removed, if there is 3/8 to 1/2 inch of the stud remaining, you may be able to remove it with a stud remover.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:04 PM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Mike,
Thank you for your reply.
The exhaust manifold is still on the car. New to the V12s, much of the engine bay is proving a to be the Gordian Knot, I liked your thinking of cutting a hole in the inner guard but would prefer not to have to do that. Without removing the engine, some of the lower nuts on the exhaust manifold defeated my efforts to remove them.. Perhaps it is possible to remove the manifold in situ but it is beyond me. Obviously as one's experience with these engines increases, so does the ease of performing various jobs, particular as tricks and shortcuts are learnt.
I guess the reasonable answer to my dilemma is to bite the bullet and remove the engine. My reluctance is not just the complexity of task but as the car is a real cheapy with possibly many unknown problems, I am keen to get the car running if possible and then chart a course for it's return to it's previous splendour . So at this stage I am attempting to follow the path of least resistance.
It may be folly to attempt to remove the broken stud. If it is not leaking then perhaps the job can be deferred for some time.
I have found numerous faults with the engine this far including seized centrifugal advance, failed vacuum advance capsule, poor hosing, corroded pipe work and heater valve, absolutely rotten fuel tanks and burnt out exhaust gas recirculation. It is the filthiest engine I have ever encountered so much of the disassembly to this point has simply been to clean up the disgusting mess.
I have compressio tested the engine, all values seemed reasonably equal with lower values than I would have expected and no major increase when oil was added. Beneath the cam covers the internals appeared very clean and in good condition.
I fear attempting to lift the head as the motor has obviously some corrosion from failure to use correct coolant and I would have to anticipate difficulty in separating the head.
Nevertheless, it is upwards and onwards or perhaps a case of 'three steps forward, two steps back'.
Al

Old 06-04-2018, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,087 Likes on 5,351 Posts

Alan
If the exhaust is not leaking, leave well alone. If you decide to rebuild the car, then pull the engine and do everything, exhaust, intakes, gaskets, looms, pipes, ignition cleaning etc etc all in one go. Piecemeal is a recipe for heartbreak, say I, anyway!