XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Can I convert my 2+2 to a "proper two seater?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can I convert my 2+2 to a "proper two seater?

I'm sure most people will agree that the back seat in a 2+2 XJS Convertible is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike. (I've been told it was put there to keep insurance premiums down - 4-seaters are cheaper to insure than 2-seaters. Makes as much sense as any other explanation...)

Mine is a -95, but I have seen some (older) cars that have a lockable storage box behind the front seats. This would be a Great Thing to have, considering my care has no glove box, only the silly little pocket on the front edge of the seat cushions.

Does anyone know if there are conversion kits - from seats to box - available, or have any ideas on how to make the conversion without finding a donor car?

Old 06-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

I have a '95 myself and would like to do the same. There are no conversion kits available. You can try to acquire a storage box from a breaker or build your own.
I've been kicking the idea around myself, but I keep stopping at that word "originality"...

Old 06-11-2013, 08:13 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default rear seat delete

Anders,

I am working in fabricating a removable seat delete. I already built the back section using my existibg back seat squab, here are some pictures. Once I get bottom section finished I will posts some more pics. As always started on one thing and the I am already here might as well do this also disease hit me.

Attached Thumbnails Can I convert my 2+2 to a "proper two seater?-full-1988-jaguar-xj-sc_3804_20.jpg   Can I convert my 2+2 to a "proper two seater?-mv4323.jpg   Can I convert my 2+2 to a "proper two seater?-img_0537.jpg  
Old 06-11-2013, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Hep320
Anders,

I am working in fabricating a removable seat delete. I already built the back section using my existibg back seat squab, here are some pictures. Once I get bottom section finished I will posts some more pics. As always started on one thing and the I am already here might as well do this also disease hit me.
Thanks Hep! Keep me posted on how you progress and how it turns out. Just out of curiosity - are you planning to manufacture and sell conversion kits, or is this "just" for you?

Old 06-11-2013, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Roger95
I have a '95 myself and would like to do the same. There are no conversion kits available. You can try to acquire a storage box from a breaker or build your own.
I've been kicking the idea around myself, but I keep stopping at that word "originality"...
I'm also struggling with wanting to keep things "original." But then there is "useability" as well. I've only had my car for four months, and am trying to find out if some, or all, of the unusual stuff on it came from the factory or is aftermarket. Like, for example, it has a rear wing with integrated brake light, and a few pieces here and there are gold colored instead of chrome (the gold is coming off, so I'm trying to figure out if I should re-gilt it or take it back to chrome...)

These are the fun things!

Old 06-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts
The following users liked this post:
AndersA (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 01:09 PM
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

A "proper" two-seater, coupe or roadster, would include taking about 6-8" out of the wheelbase behind the doors. Google "SWB Thunderbird" for an example.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by MustangSix
A "proper" two-seater, coupe or roadster, would include taking about 6-8" out of the wheelbase behind the doors. Google "SWB Thunderbird" for an example.
That is of course true... I chose my words badly. Sorry.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

shorten the wheel base 6", NOW that would keep you busy!

for looks, a shorten of the trunk length, would be great, less overhang.

the car pictured has a sticker inside glove box that says" this is a 2 seat vehicle", it was done in England,RHD.

Attached Thumbnails Can I convert my 2+2 to a "proper two seater?-jag-rodstr-002.jpg  

Last edited by ronbros; 06-11-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Received 297 Likes on 189 Posts

I have the box from my 89 convertible standing against a wall in my garage. I've been seriously thinking about replacing JagZilla's rear seat with it, but, it will require modifying both the interior, and the box to some degree.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by JagZilla
I have the box from my 89 convertible standing against a wall in my garage. I've been seriously thinking about replacing JagZilla's rear seat with it, but, it will require modifying both the interior, and the box to some degree.
JagZilla - Can you give more detail? What needs to be done to the box? I assume that, in addition to the back seat, the rear inside panels also need to be changed. Are there more pieces needed - like some kind of back behind the box?

Old 06-12-2013, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Put some proper subwoofers in it. Not to annoy the neighbors, but to provide a proper sonic experience. Or compromise; sub in one cubby, storage in the other.

OR

Rear mounted twin turbos

Old 06-12-2013, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by AndersA
JagZilla - Can you give more detail? What needs to be done to the box? I assume that, in addition to the back seat, the rear inside panels also need to be changed. Are there more pieces needed - like some kind of back behind the box?
It's been a while since I've looked at it, so my memory is not clear on everything, but, yes, the interior side panels definitely cause a problem. There is also a difference in the sheet metal behind the front seats when you go from coupe to convertible. There is a difference in floor where it rises up to go under the seat, compared to the same area in a convertible. I believe that I also remember the metal behind the seat back being differently sloped, or in a different location, requiring shortening of the top panel of the box for proper placement. As I said, it's been quite a while since I've looked at it, so I could be wrong about some of those things.

If I get the time to do so, I may shoot & post some photos of the differences in the next few days.
Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
Put some proper subwoofers in it. Not to annoy the neighbors, but to provide a proper sonic experience. Or compromise; sub in one cubby, storage in the other.

OR

Rear mounted twin turbos
The box on the 89 only has one compartment, with a large single door to access it. The first time I ever saw twin compartments on a box was when I saw the photos on this thread. The box on my 89 also had factory speakers mounted in the front wall, with standard XJS speaker grills. The speakers were aimed in such a way that they would have been projecting sound toward the back side of the front seats. The Previous owner removed those speakers, and put small electric fans (like you would find in a desktop PC) in their place, behind the speaker grills. The fans draw fresh air into the box, to cool the on-board PC and stereo amp he had inside the box. I will likely do the same thing, but, because of the shape of the floor under the current rear seat area, I will also weld a suspended wire shelf into the area, to further help circulate cool air around the on-board PC and other electronics.

Last edited by JagZilla; 06-12-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Flint Ironstag (02-23-2015)
Old 06-12-2013, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by JagZilla
The box on the 89 only has one compartment, with a large single door to access it. The first time I ever saw twin compartments on a box was when I saw the photos on this thread. The box on my 89 also had factory speakers mounted in the front wall, with standard XJS speaker grills. The speakers were aimed in such a way that they would have been projecting sound toward the back side of the front seats. The Previous owner removed those speakers, and put small electric fans (like you would find in a desktop PC) in their place, behind the speaker grills. The fans draw fresh air into the box, to cool the on-board PC and stereo amp he had inside the box. I will likely do the same thing, but, because of the shape of the floor under the current rear seat area, I will also weld a suspended wire shelf into the area, to further help circulate cool air around the on-board PC and other electronics.
I believe the box shown in the photos is from the XJ-SC, I'm not sure but I think it was different because of the extra bracing put into the floor to make up for the partial loss of the roof.

I think Jagzilla is right, when Jag produced the 2+2, they welded and extra plate along the rear floor below the rear seat, this might make fitting a box a bit more difficult.

I really wish they had offered the locker as a factory option when I ordered my car, my salesperson told me they had put the rear seat in to lower insurance costs, seems silly to me!

In the last 19 years my rear seat has been sat in twice. once by a small 7 year old girl who complained about the lack of room!! the other time was when a ravishing 6 foot 2 inch model sat crosswise with her knees up by her chin. Incongruous yet alluring at the same time ;-)

Last edited by AllanG; 06-12-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Anders,

Not planning in modifying the actual sides, only in making a platform with storage that would substitute the seat and is easily removable in case I decide to put the seat back. The parts drawing is from xjs-c , I drive a coupe so the sides are different than the convertibles if I am not mistaken.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:11 PM

I think you're right, Hep - the rear seat trim is different, as is what's underneat the rear seat - on hte converibles there is a stiffening bar that makes the space look different.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

this may help, pix of my 2 seat XJS roadster,1978, done in England around 1982-83 before xjsc.

note the heavy gage metal bulkhead, that is tying the sides of body together, runs from side of door frame edges to opposite side, along with 1" square tubing,lot of reinforcements,
also under the side pieces of cockpit(cant see it here),.

also has 3" round tubes running inside rocker panels.

for an open car its actually a fairly stiff platform.

the covering carpet is sagging a little,been 16-17yrs.

Attached Thumbnails Can I convert my 2+2 to a "proper two seater?-jag-xjs-rear-seat-delete-001.jpg   Can I convert my 2+2 to a "proper two seater?-jag-xjs-rear-seat-delete-002.jpg   Can I convert my 2+2 to a "proper two seater?-jag-xjs-rear-seat-delete-003.jpg  
afterburner1 (02-20-2015)
Old 06-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Ron,

I'm not sure but I think that for the 2+2 they welded in a seat pan so you lose some of the depth that you have on the regular convertible. It would be interesting to know how much is lost though.

Allan

Old 06-12-2013, 08:42 PM

As promised, here are some photos of 89 2-seat convertible box, the area under & behind the box, some photos of the area under & behind the rear seat of Jagzilla, and some photos of the box placed inside JagZilla.

All the pix can be clicked to enlarge.

The first 3 are the area under the box in the 89 'vert:

Can I convert my 2+2 to a "proper two seater?-20130612_184240.jpg
Can I convert my 2+2 to a "proper two seater?-20130612_184422.jpg
Can I convert my 2+2 to a "proper two seater?-20130612_184454.jpg

Now the box itself:

Can I convert my 2+2 to a "proper two seater?-20130612_185246.jpg
Can I convert my 2+2 to a "proper two seater?-20130612_185140.jpg
Can I convert my 2+2 to a "proper two seater?-20130612_185040.jpg

Now inside JagZilla:

Can I convert my 2+2 to a "proper two seater?-20130612_185618.jpg
Can I convert my 2+2 to a "proper two seater?-20130612_185754.jpg
Can I convert my 2+2 to a "proper two seater?-20130612_190129.jpg
Can I convert my 2+2 to a "proper two seater?-20130612_185918.jpg
Can I convert my 2+2 to a "proper two seater?-20130612_190425.jpg

Flint Ironstag (02-23-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 11:44 PM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

PIX #17 looks like an easy modification with little or no change to the car. Seat could be easily replaced and seat belt remain intact. a small 12vt fridge could be worked in somewhere. This setup is for future sale.
keeping the car fresh for sale of a 50-60 year old car could bring from 100k 500K conservatively in todays dollars. ( Ferrari's from the 50's and 60's) are cracking 1,000,000 plus, but these are original to the last nut and bolt) If that's what you want. no modification and factory fresh, or make your modifications be proud of your work and enjoy your jag now. Just watch the auctions on VELOCITY TV for a mind blowing experience! You'll shed a tear for that old Ford or Chevvie you dumped!

Quick Reply: Can I convert my 2+2 to a "proper two seater?