XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12

Old 11-29-2016, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Hi Bro

That's the only place I haven't thought of looking!

The following users liked this post:
paulyling (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 09:57 PM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Bro

That's the only place I haven't thought of looking!
If you do find your code have a look here and you might be able to find what the color is called or vice versa. JimC64 has updated the link:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...art-faq-27312/

The following 2 users liked this post by paulyling:
Lucielle (10-07-2022), orangeblossom (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Bro

Cheers but She's all bedded down for the Winter now, with Car Covers on etc, so I don't really want to have to take all those covers off at the moment.

paulyling (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

So, OB, I guess winter time has now stopped you going further?

I know that feeling! In my case, I have all the time and can heat my garage, but I lack funds and can only work "order by order" and the orders are only a few parts at a time...

The following 2 users liked this post by Daim:
orangeblossom (11-30-2016), paulyling (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
So, OB, I guess winter time has now stopped you going further?

I know that feeling! In my case, I have all the time and can heat my garage, but I lack funds and can only work "order by order" and the orders are only a few parts at a time...
Hi Daim

Nope, I'm just about to get 'The Silver Bullet' out of the Garage to try and fit the New Stereo, which has just arrived.

Bluetooth/Hands Free/Usb etc. I could go on.............

So still in the game even in Winter.

Its really Amazing what you have done and are doing so Hats off to you!

The following 3 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Daim (11-30-2016), Lucielle (10-07-2022), paulyling (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Hi OB,

I understand that she's all tucked up for the winter but when you do want to find teh codes they are stamped on the commission plate. On UK cars, the location moved a couple of times over the life of the XJS. On early cars, there is a plate mounted on the inner wing close to the bulkhead just behind the wing-to-bulkhead bracing bar. From the late 1980s, there is a plate mounted on the passenger side B-post. For facelift cars, there is a sticker above the LH headlamp, visible when the bonnet is open. Tell me the codes and I'll tell you the colours.

Cheers

Paul

The following 3 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Lucielle (10-07-2022), orangeblossom (11-30-2016), paulyling (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Paul

Cheers! I knew you would know the Answer, next time I take the Covers off, I will know where to look.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:04 PM

Hi Bro

Cheers but She's all bedded down for the Winter now, with Car Covers on etc, so I don't really want to have to take all those covers off at the moment.
My Sister-In-Law says it is -2 in Stratford. Crikey you can have that!

We had 32 degrees C here yesterday in Queensland

Lucielle (10-07-2022), orangeblossom (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 04:53 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Here's another useful website I found for looking at Paint colors:

PaintRef.com - Automotive Truck Fleet Paint Color Code Cross Reference

Once you enter the year and make, it displays the color chips for that year, and can click on the G, B or Y to the left for automatic google/bing/yahoo image searches for cars in that color.

Here's the 1990 Jaguar codes. With my somewhat color blind eyes I'd venture a guess that OB's 1990 XJS is Regency Red. Or Crimson?

1990 Color Codes - Jaguar Paint Cross-Reference

The following 2 users liked this post by XJ6Paul:
orangeblossom (11-30-2016), paulyling (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by paulyling
My Sister-In-Law says it is -2 in Stratford. Crikey you can have that!

We had 32 degrees C here yesterday in Queensland
Hi Bro

You can go off people you know! (Lol) we don't even get that in High Summer!

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Lucielle (10-07-2022), paulyling (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WinstonWolf
Here's another useful website I found for looking at Paint colors:

PaintRef.com - Automotive Truck Fleet Paint Color Code Cross Reference

Once you enter the year and make, it displays the color chips for that year, and can click on the G, B or Y to the left for automatic google/bing/yahoo image searches for cars in that color.

Here's the 1990 Jaguar codes. With my somewhat color blind eyes I'd venture a guess that OB's 1990 XJS is Regency Red. Or Crimson?

1990 Color Codes - Jaguar Paint Cross-Reference
Hi Winston

Its not really me that needs to know but another Forum Member who was inquiring.

I've always known that my Car is 'Regency Red' and so I didn't need to know the Paint Code but all the same that's useful to know, so Thanks.

Jonathan-W (12-01-2016), Lucielle (10-07-2022), paulyling (11-30-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

How I fitted a New Stereo in My 1990 XJS V12 (Pre Facelift)
I decided to do a Completely New Post to explain how I fitted a Stereo in my 1990 XJS V12 Pre-Facelift, just in case anyone else wants to do the Same.

So this is a sort of Step by Step Guide, as I could have done with knowing this Stuff myself before I started.

The Story begins on Amazon where I picked up a Budget Stereo in one of their Black Friday Sales, as I wanted something to replace the Pull out Radio in my 1990 XJS.

Don't get me wrong as I have to say I love its Retro look as it goes with the Car, while at the same time it can be a PIA, to have to keep pulling the Radio out to lock it away in the Boot/Trunk every time you stop anywhere.

Not only that but it also lacks a lot of the Modern Features, that nowadays we tend to take for granted.

No Mp3 unless you use a Cassette Adapter, No Bluetooth, No USB and No Hands Free. Which was one of the main reasons why I decided to get a more Modern Stereo, as they are Cracking down on people using Mobile Phones in their Cars.

And while I would never do that, I tend to use my Phone for Playing Music, through the Pull out Radio, with a Cassette Adaptor and since the Phone is (make that was!) kept in a Phone Holder on the dash.

Am I or aren't I using my Mobile Phone, even if my hands are nowhere near it? In that respect it could be down to if you get stopped or how someone feels on the day, so now there can be no doubt whatsoever I'm not.

So now straight back to Amazon, where I am having a headspin, in deciding which Budget Stereo to buy, although to be fair a lot of them have the same functions, where in a lot of cases, the only difference is a different Badge.

Firstly a 'Big Shout Out' to Paul (PTJS) who was screaming at me to get one with Bluetooth, even though I didn't think that this was too important, as all I really wanted to do was play Music. (But with Bluetooth you can do that better from your Phone)

So for the Princely sum of £19 I bought this Budget Stereo, because it had some Five Star Reviews and I had seen the same model in a High Street Store near me for £40 so Bargain or What!

As soon as the Stereo had arrived Two days ahead of Schedule, I Started thinking (or What!) as it was not much heavier than the box it arrived in, so as far as Performance was concerned, I prepared myself for disappointment.

So for better or worse decided, that I had nothing to lose by putting it in, except of course for my £19 but lets gloss over that just for a moment.

As this was a Budget Stereo, it hadn't got the Din Plug, which you see on more expensive models but instead a bunch of Wires on the end of a Push in Plug, all of which were half pre-stripped, which was a nice little touch.

But first of all how on earth do you get the Old Cage Out?

'Parting is such sweet sorrow' but now its time to upgrade you for something a bit more modern.

I was really gutted to take the Original Stereo out, as it felt not only reassuringly Heavy but also looked a Quality piece of Kit.

Though apart from any of that 'So easy to Steal' even if you just stopped for a Paper.

So Job number one was to pull the Two Knobs off from the Aircon Faceplate, which was easier said than done, as they were on there tight and needed a very straight pull combined with a bit of Jiggling.

Those knobs were on that Face Plate so tight, I started looking around for a Screw to undo but with a Straight Pull and some Jiggling, they came off without breaking.

The Next job was undoing the Brass Nuts/Collars that hold the Face Plate on, I managed to do that easily with just a Screw driver, although I could have used some pointed pliers.

When you remove the Face Plate, you have to be Really Careful not to break the Wires that are behind it, as they provide the illumination.

Gently does it but don't break those Wires on the back of the Face Plate.

After much deliberation on what to next and how to do it, I drilled out the 4 Pop Rivets which hold the Cage in place, using a Straight Air Drill, though any small drill would do.

Drilling out the Pop Rivets using a Straight Air Drill and 'Her Bath Towel' to protect the Ski Slope.

Drilling out the Pop Rivets was easier than I though and then I pushed the Stubs right through the holes.

Were those 4 Pop Rivets the only thing that was holding the Cage in place?

The answer to that was Yes! So I just pulled it out.

Only 4 Pop Rivets hold the Cage in place, so I just very carefully pulled it out.

Jaguar certainly didn't stint on the Wiring, there was nearly enough to reach the Floor and they even put a label on them saying what they were for and best of all they were connected to the old plug that you slide the Old Radio into with Bullet Connectors.

Jaguar didn't stint on the Wire it reached right down to the Floor!

The only thing left for me to do was to unscrew the Old Pull out Plug and then disconnect all the Bullet Connectors.

All done with Bullet Connectors, in the event I might one day decide to Retro Fit the Original Pull Out Radio.

Meanwhile back at 'Orange Blossom Towers' I was matching up the Wires on the Harness that came with the Stereo and putting some Bullet Connectors on the ends.

Fitting some Bullet Connectors onto the Stereo Harness, which came with an easy to understand Wiring Diagramme.

Easy Wiring Diagramme
'What could possibly go wrong'
Nothing! it was all very Straightforward.

I Photographed the Diagramme to use as a Guide and only had to cut one wire off the Original loom and that was the one with the little 'Black Box' that prevents interference, that also had an In Line Fuse Holder, which was needed as well.

The Black Box was just glued to the Side of the Cage, so I just pulled it off and then cut it off from the Original Plug. Leaving enough in case I ever wanted to re-join it.

That little Black Box is supposed to prevent outside interference, so I thought I may as well use it, as a new one could cost me than I paid for the Radio.

Spaghetti Junction but Wiring it up was easier than I thought.
I also used the Original Cage, as the New Stereo fitted it like a Glove.

After Sliding the Stereo in and then Re-fitting the Face Plate, there was only one thing left to do!

Time to Switch it on and see if it Works.

OMG! its Working, we have lift off!
Note the Remote Control at the Side that Works too!

All done Inside the Garage, so the Photos are not very good.

All ready to Rock She's Working!

But what does She Sound Like?

I'm Not Gonna Lie and if it was rubbish I'd tell you.

It just Sounds Amazing! and Ten out of Ten All day Long!

It doesn't sound anything like the 'Tin Box Sound' I was expecting, it Sounds almost as good as a Top of the Range with 4 X 60 Watt Channels.

That give a Smooth Rich Creamy Sound to Die for!

The Radio Tunes in Perfect and the Bluetooth Connects in an Instant, which also has Hands Free for the Phone as well as a Phone Charger and a USB.

Base and Treble as Standard, Plus Pre-Sets like Rock and Pop and an Equaliser!
and you can also get those functions from the Remote Control, including Volume and Balance and everything else this Stereo Can do.

I am Totally Blown away!

Amazing! is not the word for it and all for £19

The following 8 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
dborthwick (12-12-2016), Geewhite (02-07-2021), Hedman (04-19-2020), Jonathan-W (12-11-2016), jordangust (03-12-2023), Lucielle (10-25-2021), paulyling (12-10-2016), Xjeffs (10-18-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-10-2016, 01:05 AM

Great job mate! Give yer self a pat on the back!

Definitely an essential. It was one of the first things I did on the Blue Goose. I just can't drive without my tunes playing.

So tell me....what tunes did you infact christen it with?

Great job again!

Lucielle (10-25-2021), orangeblossom (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Bro

Cheers!

I've only got a few Tracks on my Phone, which I can play direct to the Stereo via Bluetooth.
So under the Circumstances, 'Livin on a Prayer' seemed most appropriate.

Jonathan-W (12-11-2016), Lucielle (10-25-2021), paulyling (12-10-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 04:34 AM
Veteran Member

Having fitted my New Stereo

I have another one to do on my other Car, so this time I thought I would be more prepared by getting the Tools for the Job and managed to pick up a really nice pair of Wire Strippers.

These are very similar to some that I bought years ago and lost!
but they should be ideal for Stripping the Wires on the New Speakers that I am intending to treat myself to for Christmas.

Please let me know if you have found anything better.

My New Wire Strippers

New Wire Strippers give excellent results, which I will need for fitting New Car Speakers

paulyling (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Nice work, nice tool. Rewarded by nice tunes.

Decades ago, I installed better tunes in my critters. Primitive compared to today's
offerings, like the one you just did.

I developed my striping and soldering techniques in that manner.

I've a decent pair of wire strippers. But, in plastic, the teeth and blade are metal.
And, a couple of pairs of crimpers. Said to strip as well. True, to a point, only.
Yours are far more elegant.

Nice work, enjoy !!!

Carl

The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
orangeblossom (12-16-2016), paulyling (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Having fitted my New Stereo

I have another one to do on my other Car, so this time I thought I would be more prepared by getting the Tools for the Job and managed to pick up a really nice pair of Wire Strippers.

These are very similar to some that I bought years ago and lost!
but they should be ideal for Stripping the Wires on the New Speakers that I am intending to treat myself to for Christmas.

New Wire Strippers give excellent results, which I will need for fitting New Car Speakers
Can I make a suggestion for speakers........ I use 8ohm speakers designed for guitar amps. These make great car speakers. Visaton BG17 is a great low cost unit.

Before anyone says these are 8hom and cars should use 4ohm this is a fallacy. These speakers are 93db sensitivity meaning more than enough volume with little power. Most car speakers are in the 86db range and every 6db doubles the volume level and every 3db needs double the power. So the 7db needs 4 times the power to get the same volume level.

86dbA is the sound of a flushing toilet
90dbA is the sound of an angle grinder at 1m outside

BG17-8OHM Visaton Loudspeaker , Fullrange , 8 Ohm , 6.5" | eBay

orangeblossom (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Warrjon

That sounds very interesting, I will certainly look into that but last year I had an idea I could use your advice on.

Behind the Front Seats of my Convertible is a 'Cubby Box' with a lift up lid and what I was thinking of doing was to fit a 'Sound Bar' (like they use

for Televisions) under the Lid of the 'Cubby Box'

So when the Lid is down it's out of sight and when you want to use it you lift up the lid and hold it in place with a piano hinge or something.

It might just sound Amazing but since I haven't got one, I don't know.

But do they do a 12volt Sound Bar and if so what kind of Power would it put out?

Also do you think this is a good idea or not?

paulyling (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 05:17 PM

Hi O.B

I went out and bought a new set of these when I made my EFI harness:

They are auto adjusting as well. Worked a treat. Found them easy to use in tight places.

Also bought some gauged strippers which are actually probably better but sometimes hard to use when you have only a wee bit of wire poking out:

orangeblossom (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Bro

That looks useful but I reckon that your gadget must have cost a fair bit more than mine £4 so since I won't be using it much, I'll see how I get on with these.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 12-16-2016 at 09:44 PM.
paulyling (12-16-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12