XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Convertible top problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 07:48 PM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Convertible top problems

Newly purchased 91 XJS 5.3L, top won't go up. Went down just fine.

There are no easy to follow threads about this problem yet. It was frustrating trying to find info from several seemingly unrelated posts.
People come here to find help and solve their problems.
Most of this is not in the OM, (what if I lost the OM?) nor in The Kirby Palm book. Some folks have not purchased the service manuals or DVD.

What I'd like to see, even if just for newbies, is, a quick description of the hydraulic system, where it is, (on the passenger side of the compartment where the rear seats would be) which relays and fuses do what, (they should click when the switch is pressed, followed by the sound of the pump motor running), if you see a reddish fluid flowing thru the translucent lines, but mostly bubbles, then the hydraulic fluid is very low, which MIGHT be why the top goes down very easily, but doesn't have enough strength (fluid in the system) to lift it back up, etc.

Correct operating procedure: Must be in Park or neutral, parking brake on, (hopefully your parking brake warning light works) ignition switch in accessory or drive, press the switch, the top should go up 1st, then the side windows, and the reverse when going back down.

Correct troubleshooting procedure, where it usually leaks from, how to put it into manual mode in case it gets stuck, (turn the lever from electric to manual position) how to properly raise and lower the top manually, how to add fluid, how to bleed it, what kind fluid and possibly even links to where one can buy it and the other pump parts, hoses, and seals, etc.

Mine had an intermittent rocker switch, which I got working again with DeOxit D5 contact cleaner spray. Or one could just replace the switch. Once fixed, I pressed the switch, heard the relay click, the motor ran, and the top moved just a tiny bit. After about 15 seconds, the two side windows went up. If I helped it, the top went up smoothly. The other 2 window switches were also intermittent, mine may have gotten wet a few times before I bought the car.

I will post my comments back here when it's fixed, if nobody else responds.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 374 Posts
Old 03-26-2018, 07:19 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mkinn
Newly purchased 91 XJS 5.3L, top won't go up. Went down just fine.

There are no easy to follow threads about this problem yet. It was frustrating trying to find info from several seemingly unrelated posts.
People come here to find help and solve their problems.
Most of this is not in the OM, (what if I lost the OM?) nor in The Kirby Palm book. Some folks have not purchased the service manuals or DVD.

What I'd like to see, even if just for newbies, is, a quick description of the hydraulic system, where it is, (on the passenger side of the compartment where the rear seats would be) which relays and fuses do what, (they should click when the switch is pressed, followed by the sound of the pump motor running), if you see a reddish fluid flowing thru the translucent lines, but mostly bubbles, then the hydraulic fluid is very low, which MIGHT be why the top goes down very easily, but doesn't have enough strength (fluid in the system) to lift it back up, etc.

Correct operating procedure: Must be in Park or neutral, parking brake on, (hopefully your parking brake warning light works) ignition switch in accessory or drive, press the switch, the top should go up 1st, then the side windows, and the reverse when going back down.

Correct troubleshooting procedure, where it usually leaks from, how to put it into manual mode in case it gets stuck, (turn the lever from electric to manual position) how to properly raise and lower the top manually, how to add fluid, how to bleed it, what kind fluid and possibly even links to where one can buy it and the other pump parts, hoses, and seals, etc.

Mine had an intermittent rocker switch, which I got working again with DeOxit D5 contact cleaner spray. Or one could just replace the switch. Once fixed, I pressed the switch, heard the relay click, the motor ran, and the top moved just a tiny bit. After about 15 seconds, the two side windows went up. If I helped it, the top went up smoothly. The other 2 window switches were also intermittent, mine may have gotten wet a few times before I bought the car.

I will post my comments back here when it's fixed, if nobody else responds.
I hear your frustration. The guys (and gals) on here are a wonderful source of knowledge. I've found in most cases when I'm trying to sort something out, I get the following:
1. Workshop manual
2. Electrical diagram

With your top, it's either gonna be electrical: fuse (That would be simple!, eh?), bad ground, maybe something came disconnected. Check the spade connectors behind the trim piece at the handbrake.

OR hydraulic: inspect all the plumbing in the boot. Remove the trim panel surrounding the battery and you'll see the mechanism there. Shouldn't have bubbles in it. Last poster may be on to something with the low fluid.

Electrical diagrams available online: they will show the location of the relays, etc.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts

Hello...

I been having problems recently myself. I ended up (mistake) opening the hydrolic pump and two micro sized bearings that held things in place at the point of the gear, fell out. Didnt even notice. "Discovered" that the gear in there wasnt the problem, buttoned things back up, hit switch, heard a crunch, and the gear shattered. Had to buy a new pump as the gear in there is so specific, it was crunched and I couldnt get one machined - new pump...

I have a 1990 XJS and its in the space behind the seats on the passenger side. A bit to to get to veiw and inspect but ya gotta. Summer is coming!

So, can you hear it running?

It needs to be in PARK and the E-brake needs to be at least partly engaged. Need to see the light in the dash or know that the electrics are at least engaged if dash light isnt telling you the status.

Then yes, check the fluid. Run it through a cycle (if running) with level at "fluid full", watch the level, it will go down and get foamy and it will look like AIR is in the lines. At that, fill it again, run it - with hex cap on but a lil loose. Watch and refill as all the ports and cavities in the struts, lines and pump fill. Help the top if need be. Its all good. You'll work it out.

Console switch could be bad, dirty, disfunctional - can you hear it running is important and I dont think you mentioned that.

Leaking lines matters as well.

Tell us what you see!

Last edited by JayJagJay; 03-28-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:38 PM
Banned
Received 260 Likes on 169 Posts

There is a lever turn it to manual.