XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Convertible top question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible top question

My 1990 XJS Has a problem with the top mechanism. When you hit the switch you can hear a motor running but no movement of the top. Could it be the hydraulic system? How do I diagnose the problem? Could it just be low on fluid? If so how do I check and refill? Any help would be appreciatted. Thanks

Old 01-09-2009, 05:17 AM
Default RE: Convertible top question

Hi,
There is a by-pass valve for manual operation-check that. Then, it could be low fluid, but that would suggest a leak. There are manuals available on E-bay; you need the post 1988 amendments for the top- that's where I get all my service data.
Good luck. Michael.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:08 AM

How do I check the bypass valve and the fluid level? I can't find an access point to the mechanism and fluid resevoir. Thanks

Old 01-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Pump/ reservoir in inside the cubby box behind the seat, passenger's side. The manual bypass valve is on the top. Fluid level marked on the side of the clear plastic reservoir, if low add Dexron III or higher transmission fluid.

These cars rarely have hroken hydraulic hoses, if you're losing alot of fluid it could be a bad ram. There is one each side in the fender well, beneath the rear quarter windows. When leaking rapidly enough, the fluid finds its way out through body seams and drips on the ground, in front of the rear wheel.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:46 AM

Hi,
My normal owner's manual page 87 details how to access the top motor, fuses etc., but if you don't have that,look inside the stowage box behind the front seats and open the right side access panel (two turn clips) and you will find the top motor, on top of which is a valve marked ELECTRIC/MANUAL. If your pump is running, that only leaves a stuckautomatic changeover valve (unlikely)lack of fluid or air in the system. It's not a complicated thing really, but if the valve is set to manual, you have to ask the question "why?" Has the top ever worked since you bought the car? As I said, you can get aRepair OperationManual on Ebay- probably have to be a CD version, but you may find the paper book if you're lucky. The book number is AKM 3455 Ed4/3. The manual has everything you need to know, including bleeding the system on page 107. Good luck.
Michael.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:35 PM

I found the pump. The valve was set to manual, I switched to auto and tried the top, no go. There is air in the hoses AND the fluid is low. I found the fill hole, any tips on the best way to get the fluid into such a small fill hole? My funnel tip is WAY to big to go in it. I am sure I can rig something up but thought maybe someone could save me some effort. Thanks

Old 01-10-2009, 04:23 PM

I use the top from a gear lube bottle, it screws onto the quart bottle of Dexron and you can cut the tip to the right size.

I read Michael's post, but don't seem to recall the need to ever do a separate bleeding operation... other than to cycle the top up and down several times and recheck the level.

Most likely your going to find a problem. As suggested, there's no reason to turn the valve to 'manual' otherwise.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:13 PM

I filled up the resevoir and as expected there is a leak on the drivers side hydraulics. The pump worked fine and the top started to move slowly and I could here a leak as it was trying. There is a puddle of fluid in front of the rear tire. How do I access the cylinder and what is the likely part that needs repaired or replaced. Is it likely the cylinder itself or a connection? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:39 PM

(Holding an empty bottle of Dexron up to my head, and thinking real hard)...

Yikes, I'm not Carnac, and I don't have BRUTAL'S crystal *****. You'll have to remove the interior trim panel and start investigating. From memory, there's one screw up top on the outside behind the quarter window glass, thenpull the felt trim from the door aperature down low and peel the vinyl back: I think there are two hidden screws there.

It's not a happy place to work on in an XJS (there aren't many, are there?), the ram is down in the hole and you already know that's my guess at what has failed. Let me know what you see, and we'll go from there.

By the way, Larry Fitzgerald of the Arizona Cardinals IS Carnac, and Spiderman, and any other superhero you can name. Thank God he doesn't fix Jaguars (or play for them).

Old 01-10-2009, 08:44 PM

Thanks, I am beginning to like the idea of putting the switch on manual and leaving it alone. It really is not a big deal to operate the top manually. I plan on mostly leaving the top down all the time and only driving it in "convertible weather". I have had a lot of convertibles that I rarely ever put the top up. I own about 7 cars and the Jag will never be a daily driver.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

This may a silly question, but would it be possible to dis-connect the lifting mechanisms from the top? I'm only guessing even in the Manual mode there may some mechanical resistance. At any rate, it would be definitely easier than the procedure my dad and I went through when raising the top on our '65 Buick Skylark. He operated the switch and I stood up in the back seat and lifted up the top with some degree of effort. Our other joy was putting up a top on his '63 Triumph Spitfire. That took about 5 minutes because you had to install the frame and then snap the non-watertight top to it.

Mike