XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Convertible way too excited....

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Convertible way too excited....

Hi! I'm a newbie so thanks for this site! Way Cool! Here's my issue - thought I would bounce if you folks with far more experience than I.

My Convertible roof goes down fine, in fact it never stops! I have to pull the fuse because the top doesn't seem to know its already all the way down. I can usually pull the fuse and wait a bit and get the top up, but I left it down all summer last year (it's in the garage)

In other words I press the button to lower it and it lowers but just locks up in the "Down" mode. I press the switch up and down frantically and/or let go of it - and nothing happens; it just keeps on going down. Does this top know when it is either fully down or fully up? Is the release of the "Down Mode" controlled by one of those several relays near the pump? Si there a sensor that is tripped when fully down or up? Any wise words of advice of where to start looking for either a sensor switch or a relay - or whatever - would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Steve

Old 04-09-2018, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Hi Stevels

Please could you let us all know what Car you have got

V12 Facelift/Prefacelift/Straight Six?

Assuming you have managed to find the Pump that works the Soft Top, there are Six Relays in Total

Where if you were looking at it sideways on, with the Filler Plug on the Right

The Pair of Relays on the Left move the Drivers side window Up & Down

The Pair of Relays on the Right move the Passenger side window Up & Down

While the Pair of Relays in the Middle one on a green plug and one on a blue plug

Operate the Soft Top (Up & Down)

Maybe the Relay Pins and their Sockets have got Oiled up and just need a really good clean with electrical Contact Cleaner

Or you could try swapping these two relays round to see if that makes any difference

But do be very careful that you don't burn out the Pump as a new one could cost Megabucks to replace

It could also easily be a faulty Switch on the 'Ski Slope' so best to check that first