XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Dash Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Removal

Moerning...
I despretly need to remove the dash in my 83 XJS.... any step by steps out there? I saw one once and now cant find it.... help!
lol

Old 02-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did it last month. Plan to remove the center console first; steering wheel, panel with gauges, and the entire AC unit needs to come out with the dash. I did it mostly by feel (2 nuts on the ends of each side of the dash, etc.0 but I recall seeing some info on the Jag-lovers Forum that also was helpful.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Originally Posted by fogrocker
Moerning...
I despretly need to remove the dash in my 83 XJS.... any step by steps out there? I saw one once and now cant find it.... help!
lol
I did this last year.
Take out the instrument panel and both the knee level under-dash covers that have the fuse box covers on them.
Remove centre console and radio and heater control trim and knobs
Remove the glove box internals - about 9 very tiny black screws. VERY hard to see but they are there
Remove steering wheel
Remove the narrow plastic trim each end of the dash where it fills the gap to the body metal.
There are then some large nuts to be undone that secure the dash to the body. One each end and one nearer the centre of the passenger side - this one is see-able once the glove box internals are out. I removed the end-dash air vents and shoved their tubing out of the way, then the end nuts are easier to find. These nuts hold about 1cm thick steel rods to which the dash itself is bonded.
There are nuts holding the dash to the steering column fixings that are visible from the intrument binnacle hole.
The anti-mist duct from the heater below the screen needs to be undone too. A short pozi bit held in a spanner with a finger on top will get them out, with luck, without having to remove the screen.
There are trims round the ignition and light switches that need to be removed.

This is about it as far as I can remember. If you need any more detail on a given stage, just ask.

What are you going to fix once the dash is out?

Greg

Old 02-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All out....
Looking to figure out why my heater isnt heating me.....
Now I am looking for a test procedure... lol

Old 02-16-2012, 02:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Originally Posted by fogrocker
All out....
Looking to figure out why my heater isnt heating me.....
Now I am looking for a test procedure... lol
I hope this may be some help to get you started.
Step 1: Is there any hot water getting to the heater core? Check that the water valve bolted on the engine bay firewall top in front of the windscreen wipers is allowing water through. Also that the vac tube is attached to it, as this actuates the valve.

Step 2: If valve OK, check that the heater core is not blocked, which is very common. Put a hose on the inlet and see what comes out of the outlet.

If heat is getting to the core, then it is the unit not properly adjusting the flaps and the blowers that is the problem. Your car has a Delanair Mark II unit. I do not know much about them in detail, except that there is an amplifier that frequently goes wrong, which if not functioning properly, effectively prevents the unit responding to the heater control. This piece is under the LHS of the unit towards the seats and is held on by a large spring clip. It is about the size of a cigarette packet with a half a packet attached to it, giving an L shape in profile, and is brown in colour. It has a trim screw on it. It is worth turning this fully to the right (clockwise) and seeing if that does any good as far as getting heat is concerned.

If that does nothing, post again! Hope this helps a bit

Greg

The following users liked this post:
Ralph Calabrese (11-12-2014)