XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Dead power windows

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 07:03 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Dead power windows

My 89 xjs convertible has no power to switches. It works fine when I jump them direct. Where does the power to the switches come from? Is there a relay for them? where would it be? Seems there is a relay for everthing else in that car.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:05 PM
Default Other dead electrical

Forgot to mention there is no power to cigarette lighter and power and heated seats dead. I dont know if they are related. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-24-2014, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Are you talking about the door windows, quarter windows, or both?

Yes, a relay and a circuit breaker, but first......

There were two different wiring schemes for the door windows, VIN 156989-later and VIN 156988-earlier.

What's your VIN?

Cheers
DD

Old 05-25-2014, 12:41 AM

The door windows are dead. Vin is 156135.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

OK, good, the earlier wiring arrangement....

The relay and circuit breaker are both on the RH component panel, below the glove box.

The circuit breaker is about 1.0" x 1.25" and has a brown wire and a brown/blue wire. If the breaker is good both wires will be 'hot' at both times...brown wire is constant voltage from the battery and brown/blue is output to the relay. You can check with a test light or simply jump the terminals and see if anything changes.

The relay is black and round, unless it has already been changed. It has white/pink, black, and brown/blue wires.

Terminal 86 on the relay, white/pink wire, is 12v with key on
Terminal 85 on the relay, black wire, is ground
Terminal 30 on the relay, brown/blue wire, is 12v from the circuit breaker
Terminal 87 on the relay, brown/blue wire, is 12v output to the window switches

If you don't have a test light you can unplug the realy and jump 30 and 87. If the windows now work then the realy is dead or it isn't being triggered by the white/pink wire

A generic 'Bosch style' 30 amp accessory relay can be swapped in.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-25-2014, 07:07 PM
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Doug
OK, good, the earlier wiring arrangement....

The relay and circuit breaker are both on the RH component panel, below the glove box.

The circuit breaker is about 1.0" x 1.25" and has a brown wire and a brown/blue wire. If the breaker is good both wires will be 'hot' at both times...brown wire is constant voltage from the battery and brown/blue is output to the relay. You can check with a test light or simply jump the terminals and see if anything changes.

The relay is black and round, unless it has already been changed. It has white/pink, black, and brown/blue wires.

Terminal 86 on the relay, white/pink wire, is 12v with key on
Terminal 85 on the relay, black wire, is ground
Terminal 30 on the relay, brown/blue wire, is 12v from the circuit breaker
Terminal 87 on the relay, brown/blue wire, is 12v output to the window switches

If you don't have a test light you can unplug the realy and jump 30 and 87. If the windows now work then the realy is dead or it isn't being triggered by the white/pink wire

A generic 'Bosch style' 30 amp accessory relay can be swapped in.

Cheers
DD
Thanks for your help. It was the relay snd I just happen to have 6 or 8 of those left over from my muscle car days.
Next question. My RS window only clunks for a second going up or down. Any ideas. I tried to remove door panel but couldnt unfasten armrest/handle. Any ideas.
Last question. On console there are switches for seat botton heat. Is other power back function or back heat. Either way it does nothing.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bc xj
Thanks for your help. It was the relay snd I just happen to have 6 or 8 of those left over from my muscle car days.

I remember those days! I got out of the musclecar thing....and then found out I couldn't afford to get back in! I still work on 'em all the time though. They just belong to people with losts more money than I have, though

Next question. My RS window only clunks for a second going up or down.

Not sure what you mean by "...only clunks for a second...". Are you saying it clunks and then won't move? Or it clunks for a second but otherwise works OK?

Well, either way, it'll be hard to know much without the door panle removed

Any ideas. I tried to remove door panel but couldnt unfasten armrest/handle. Any ideas.

Been a few years since I last touched one. What part of the removal process are you stuck on, specifically? Some bells might go off in my head

Last question. On console there are switches for seat botton heat. Is other power back function or back heat. Either way it does nothing.
One for the heater, the to inflate/deflate the lumbar support bladder inside the seat

Cheers
DD

Old 05-25-2014, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
I remember those days! I got out of the musclecar thing....and then found out I couldn't afford to get back in! I still work on 'em all the time though. They just belong to people with losts more money than I have, though

Not sure what you mean by "...only clunks for a second...". Are you saying it clunks and then won't move? Or it clunks for a second but otherwise works OK?

Well, either way, it'll be hard to know much without the door panle removed

Been a few years since I last touched one. What part of the removal process are you stuck on, specifically? Some bells might go off in my head

One for the heater, the to inflate/deflate the lumbar support bladder inside the seat

Cheers
DD
Doug. Thanks again for your help with this.
1. Window stuck up. The window only clucks and doesnt move. I tried to assist it but that didnt work.
2. I can get the clips loose and the 3 screws on bottom of panel off. It seems like the armrest and leather handle are secured. I dont want to pry the chrome piece off armrest if I dont know if thats right.
3. Last. Is there 1 pump for each seat of 1 for both? Where is it located? Where would relay be?
Thanks again

Old 05-25-2014, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bc xj
Doug. Thanks again for your help with this.
1. Window stuck up. The window only clucks and doesnt move. I tried to assist it but that didnt work.

Might be the felt channel is bunched up and jamming the glass. Just have to wait n see

2. I can get the clips loose and the 3 screws on bottom of panel off. It seems like the armrest and leather handle are secured. I dont want to pry the chrome piece off armrest if I dont know if thats right.
You'll have to pry the that chrome piece away and slide it downward along the handle portion of the armrest. hard to do without scratching the leather. Then remove the big screw and the armrest should come off

3. Last. Is there 1 pump for each seat of 1 for both? Where is it located? Where would relay be?
Thanks again
One pump inside of each seat

For relay location, fuses, etc....

-Go to the 'How To' sticky thread at the top of this section
-Select 'downloads'
-Select 'Tech Guides'
-Select 1988 MY Update

The 1988 update guide has info on the seat heater and lumbar system. Should be the same as 1989

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Bc xj (05-27-2014)