XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Dealing with CoAx Cable and Wire

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts
Default Dealing with CoAx Cable and Wire

Hello All...

Just wondering. Is there a way or how on Earth do you or can you splice Coaxial cable....???

HEEEEELP,,,, LOL

Please say it's possible

Old 07-15-2019, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,077 Likes on 5,345 Posts

What is that cable from? It doe not look like co-ax either!

Old 07-15-2019, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Greg...

It's from an old/spare SpeedO pick up/sensor. The cable from the diff in the boot that goes to the little transducer box tucked up on the side of the boot.

Old 07-15-2019, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

I have a new-ish one and the plugs are different

Old 07-15-2019, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member

I think that is fibre reinforced cable, not co-ax. the fibres are to protect the current - carrying red and blue normal wires. if the blue and red have normal copper cores, just make a normal join.

Old 07-15-2019, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

Understood... Thing is,,, in the harness when it comes to the plug,,, the two become 3... There is a solid white wire (the third) on both sides of the plug connection...? What's the white and where does it go in the wire length? Crazy. There is foil and naked wire (that kinda surrounds everything) in the harness length. Hard to describe...

BTW,,, after delays and waiting for parts I finally have the IRS back in and all seems well. Remote speed bleeders and all. Brakes work like I've NEVER felt them (the calipers were ghosts and the pads were cracked and weird).... Weak ebrake and a spring (see pic),,, lol,,, that I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how it goes BACK into the handle in the cabin.

I've still never really driven this car but am getting close. Have a new rug set and I've recovered the seats. I'm stoked.

I've been working on this,,, more (see photo).

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (07-16-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

Oh...
The photo of the mysterious spring.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:22 AM
Received 360 Likes on 213 Posts

Great work, keep the updates coming.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:58 AM
Veteran Member

JJJ
If nobody can tell you, after a few days, I'll look to see if I can take a pic of a spare one I might have.

Old 07-17-2019, 02:33 AM
Received 227 Likes on 147 Posts

Hello JJJ

Looks like the spring goes door side of the handbrake assembly

Not the best of photos - looks like one of the spring end goes in the handbrake lever - could not see where the other end goes to

Cheers
Steve

Please note - look after your limit switch (rear of the handbrake lever) - I smashed mine taken the seat in and out when doing the rust repairs

Old 07-17-2019, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Steve!!!
Those pictures are awesome... Thank you. Pictures worth 1000 words... I am sure that with those I will be able to get things back together. Then,,, it will be about getting maybe just and inch made up in the pull, to more effectively set the brake. What a thing.

And Greg,,, anything you can offer about that bundle of wires would be a help. I get voltage values from all of them (including the naked wire in the line) but don't know how and can't make heads or tails of what I'm getting. I think that I had questioned what the values were supposed to be in the past but don't remember anyone know WHAT the readings were supposed to be. I am terrrrible with electrical stuff.

R&R in Berkeley California for the week. 2000miles away from the Cherry Pie aka CrabApple,,, but she is still on my mind. What an affair, lol

Thank you all so much for your help

Old 07-18-2019, 02:36 AM
Veteran Member

JJJ
Which bundle of wires?

Old 07-18-2019, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

I was calling the 3 grouped wires,,, a "bundle"... Sorry about that. 3 coming in, 3 coming out (at the plug) and the 2 with the white 3rd being naked and surrounding the other 2 - in the wire length. If that makes any sense...?

Old 07-27-2019, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

If the coax you are referring to is the one from the ignition amp to the ECU in the boot just replace it. Any coax will do as it's not high frequency.

If you do want to join it soldering would be ok in THIS situation as it is not RF.

Old 08-01-2019, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member

Oh no Warron, I missed this... This is for replacement of the speedO cable from the pick up in the diff to that little black box transducer on the left side of the boot... I CANNOT get a working speedometer...

Old 08-02-2019, 04:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
Oh no Warron, I missed this... This is for replacement of the speedO cable from the pick up in the diff to that little black box transducer on the left side of the boot... I CANNOT get a working speedometer...
Ok got it.

To test the VR sensor jack the rear of the car up and put it on jack stands so it is secure. You will be putting it in gear and running the rear wheels. Remove the connector from the diff sensor and use a multimeter on AC volts, put the car in gear with speed about 40km/h the DVM should read more than 5vrms. If this is good then the speed sensor and wiring is good.

There are zener diodes on the outputs of the speed interface if these go bad then the unit will not output an square wave.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by warrjon
Ok got it.

To test the VR sensor jack the rear of the car up and put it on jack stands so it is secure. You will be putting it in gear and running the rear wheels. Remove the connector from the diff sensor and use a multimeter on AC volts, put the car in gear with speed about 40km/h the DVM should read more than 5vrms. If this is good then the speed sensor and wiring is good.

There are zener diodes on the outputs of the speed interface if these go bad then the unit will not output an square wave.
Ok...

I'm a little worried about spinning the tires that fast on stands, I must admit. And the second part,,, I'll have to figure out a way to take those readings and see what I get.

THANK YOU, Man!

Old 08-02-2019, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member

As long as the car is secure it should be fine. I did it when I was installing my electronic cruise control, albeit I had the car pointed out of the shed.

You'll hardly touch the throttle to spin the wheels at 40km/h off the ground.

To take the readings you will need a multimeter, a cheap one will do, better still if it has frequency measurement. Put it on AC volts. The connector between the VR sensor and interface unit is inside the boot.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by warrjon
As long as the car is secure it should be fine. I did it when I was installing my electronic cruise control, albeit I had the car pointed out of the shed.

You'll hardly touch the throttle to spin the wheels at 40km/h off the ground.

To take the readings you will need a multimeter, a cheap one will do, better still if it has frequency measurement. Put it on AC volts. The connector between the VR sensor and interface unit is inside the boot.
Thank you Warren... Got a lot O projects going on but I will get to it. In fact, now may be the time. I have everything in the cabin OUT. In case tracing wires and replacing is what's needed. It seems,,, and I could be wrong (I'll try to get a good picture after work),,, that the clip style wire associated with the speedo system are all pretty distinct, right up thru the cabin all the way to the dash areas. Kinda funky spinny thing. The blue in the photo. But I've seen several colors along the way, in mine.

I DO KNOW THIS... I did do something similar when I had JUST gotten the cage back in place. Wheels up and spinning. I was getting a reading off of the diff sender (don't remember the numbers) so,,,, lol, I have done it. Don't know if it was 40km/hr tho... I need to figure this out. Trip computer works as well.

Just started laying down carpets. Had to rebuild the entire back shelf. Wood was just too brittle. It need doing.

The blue and black. I've found similar connectors in side the cabin and under consoles

Last edited by JayJagJay; 08-06-2019 at 09:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (08-06-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Warren... This is what I'm looking at... With the wiring - and such...

Quick Reply: Dealing with CoAx Cable and Wire