XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Do all 96 XJS cars have power steering coolers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 01:32 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Do all 96 XJS cars have power steering coolers?

Still trying to sort out my front end rebuild parts list. So far, I've ordered a new steering rack, inner and outer tie rods, upper and lower ball joints, steering rack bushings, upper control arm bushings and a couple of tools (bushing removal tool and ball joint splitter).

I think I should replace all PS hoses. There seems to be some conflict with regard to what I need. The Jaguar parts catalog says I need 3 hoses:

1) CBC2616, low pressure hose between PS fluid reservoir and rack

2) JA-MHD3980-AA, low pressure hose between PS fluid reservoir and pump

3) JZ-CAC6941, high pressure hose between PS pump and steering rack

Still others mention a PS "oil" cooler. It looks like that config uses 2 additional low pressure hoses - one from the PS pump to the cooler and one from the rack to the cooler.

Question; how can I determine if my car has a P/S fluid cooler?

Also, when replacing all of the above parts, should I replace any subframe parts (bushings, etc.)? How about O-rings or gaskets?

I don't want to cut a corner and wind up working on the car again. If anyone can tell me exactly what I need to do this job (I have 97K miles on the clock), I'll buy it. I need to get all of my parts orders placed so I can move forward.

Any/all help is appreciated.

Last edited by davemack; 05-26-2016 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by davemack
Still trying to sort out my front end rebuild parts list. So far, I've ordered a new steering rack, inner and outer tie rods, upper and lower ball joints, steering rack bushings, upper control arm bushings and a couple of tools (bushing removal tool and ball joint splitter).

I think I should replace all PS hoses. There seems to be some conflict with regard to what I need. The Jaguar parts catalog says I need 3 hoses:

1) CBC2616, low pressure hose between PS fluid reservoir and rack

2) JA-MHD3980-AA, low pressure hose between PS fluid reservoir and pump

3) JZ-CAC6941, high pressure hose between PS pump and steering rack

Still others mention a PS "oil" cooler. It looks like that config uses 2 additional low pressure hoses - one from the PS pump to the cooler and one from the rack to the cooler.

Question; how can I determine if my car has a P/S fluid cooler?

Also, when replacing all of the above parts, should I replace any subframe parts (bushings, etc.)? How about O-rings or gaskets?

I don't want to cut a corner and wind up working on the car again. If anyone can tell me exactly what I need to do this job (I have 97K miles on the clock), I'll buy it. I need to get all of my parts orders placed so I can move forward.

Any/all help is appreciated.
The V12 has 3. One from PS pump to rack. One from rack to cooler. One from cooler to pump. The only high pressure one is from pump to cooler.

The following users liked this post:
davemack (05-26-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

davemack,

1996 4 litre XJS doesn't have a PS cooler.

1996 6 litre XJS does have a PS cooler.

Hope that helps

Paul

Old 05-26-2016, 07:49 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts
Old 05-26-2016, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by ptjs1
davemack,

1996 4 litre XJS doesn't have a PS cooler.

1996 6 litre XJS does have a PS cooler.

Hope that helps

Paul
Paul, that helps immensely and is exactly what I needed to know. It's very hard to get a straight list of what I need to restore the handling and ride quality of my car - always seems to be several variables.

I'll order up the low pressure hose from reservoir to rack (JA-CBC2616), low pressure hose from reservoir to pump (JA-MHD3980AA) and high pressure hose from pump to rack (JA-CAC6941). I presume the high pressure hose has the O-ring JA-CAC3589-2 but will verify.

YAY!!!! I can finally wrap up my parts order and begin prepping for the project. I sure hope it's as straight forward as it looks in the "how-to" sticky... Thanks again to all for your help.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

davemack,

I might be wrong but I'd be surprised if the high pressure hose comes with the o-ring, which is part number CAC35892

Paul

Old 05-26-2016, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by ptjs1
davemack,

I might be wrong but I'd be surprised if the high pressure hose comes with the o-ring, which is part number CAC35892

Paul
I ordered one from XK's Unlimited. What an ordeal - it's impossible to find anyone who offers all 3 power steering hoses and the O-ring. I wound up buying the high pressure hose off eBay for $199.95(!!!), since that was the ONLY place that had the OE part CAC 6941. I bought the low pressure hoses from XK's Unlimited, but the O-ring is still a question mark. The web site said the part is "special order", but that the quantity on hand is 1 piece. I'm betting they don't actually have it...

Getting parts for this car is a real chore - I have at least 6 different vendors and have invested about a weeks worth of time shopping to get what I need for the front end refresh. I owned a C4 Corvette and could find anything I needed at the NAPA store in town... Oh well, I guess that rarity is what makes the XJS-C such an eye catching car. You see Corvettes pretty much everyday in summer, but I very rarely see an XJS-C.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:18 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Were you ever able to track down that o ring? I’m trying to figure out what size oring I need to have on hand....would prefer to get one made of Viton.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

If the car isn't currently being used, or if you don't mind disconnecting the power steering temporarily, you can remove all the hoses and take them to a local hydraulic shop and likely save a good deal of money.

I believe when I replaced my high pressure hose I paid $125 for what ended up being an XJ6 part that was supposed to fit both. I took the old one to a hydraulic shop and got it re-done for $65. They also made it modular, so my system now has 4 hoses, which cut off at the bend that sits on the cross-member. This makes future repairs even easier.

The following 2 users liked this post by sidescrollin:
Greg in France (02-20-2018), ronbros (02-19-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 03:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,083 Likes on 5,350 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
The only high pressure one is from pump to cooler.
Pump to rack, surely?

Last edited by Greg in France; 02-20-2018 at 04:22 AM.