XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Exhaust recommendations for small block Chevy conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 09:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Exhaust recommendations for small block Chevy conversion

I just picked up a '78 XJS with a 350 Chevy conversion that's already been done.
Runs now and exhaust is intact but seen better days; plan on taking to a local muffler shop for a complete dual system.
Current engine is a 350 crate motor installed in '88 w/ cast iron Rams Horns exhaust manifold and a Quadrajet carburetor.
It was a California car and current exhaust has cats immediately after the exhaust manifolds, turbo style mufflers half-way down, and resonators at the end (pair of everything being duels).

Shortly down the road plan on swapping the motor for a SBC I had built up a few years ago, moderately built @ 377hp - plan on keeping same Rams Horns exhaust manifolds.
I'm in Texas and only have a Safety Inspection to contend with, no emissions testing.
I enjoy a nice throaty exhaust but don't want anything too obnoxious.

Planning on deleting the cats and contemplating just turbo style mufflers in the middle OR just round bullet style mufflers at the rear where the resonators are currently located.
I like the idea of just the round straight-thru bullet mufflers only at the rear so I don't have off-set turbo mufflers hanging low in the middle but afraid it'll be too load and/or a bad drone.
I also plan on a cross-over tube or x-pipe if it'll fit.
In my younger hot-rod days I had a '71 Camaro with a small block and duels with a cross over pipe and turbo mufflers - sounded fine.

So...
1. Turbos in the middle and no resonators?
2. Straight thru bullet style mufflers at the rear and that's all?
3. Straight thru bullet style in the middle and resonators at the rear?
4. Other?

Thanks,
Steve

Old 06-25-2019, 01:51 AM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Steve I just got home from the speed shop today, and had my guy look at my exhaust for replacement, we decided on Flowmasters the problem is the bend pipes going over the rear end of the car has a bunch of bends and it has to be welded in sections, I am loosing the cats, as well as the resonator in the back, and the cross overs, Also the flow masters come in different diameters, and you will have to measure the original mufflers you have, and match them up as close as possible as there is not much room in the space where they fit. I,m also doing stainless pipes. I seen some advertisement for a completes stainless setup on line, If you would like i can find it for you. I love the flow master rumble on a 350. Cherry bombs also fit in that space well. If you are putting the flow masters where the original mufflers sit now, it will look stock and wont hang low. But it has to go back in the same spot, There really is no other place to mount them, or they will be too low.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:41 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kriss Vector
Hey Steve I just got home from the speed shop today, and had my guy look at my exhaust for replacement, we decided on Flowmasters the problem is the bend pipes going over the rear end of the car has a bunch of bends and it has to be welded in sections, I am loosing the cats, as well as the resonator in the back, and the cross overs, Also the flow masters come in different diameters, and you will have to measure the original mufflers you have, and match them up as close as possible as there is not much room in the space where they fit. I,m also doing stainless pipes. I seen some advertisement for a completes stainless setup on line, If you would like i can find it for you. I love the flow master rumble on a 350. Cherry bombs also fit in that space well. If you are putting the flow masters where the original mufflers sit now, it will look stock and wont hang low. But it has to go back in the same spot, There really is no other place to mount them, or they will be too low.
Hello Kriss -
Thanks for the response.
Yes, please post or message the link for the online exhaust kit if you don't mind; I queried for an online kit but could not find one, it would be nice to see what's available for info and comparison to a local shop doing a system.

Cherry bombs will probably be too loud for my taste, I'm thinking Flow-Masters or Magnaflow - if you have any pics & part numbers to share of your system that would be great.

Thanks again,
Steve