Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small block chevy identification needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts
Default Small block chevy identification needed

Ok, so this isnt jag related, but i figure one you lumpers might be able help, i just got my boat engine running yesterday, been sitting for a few years. According to po the oil.was changed before being parked. Oil was gold and at correct level, so i didnt worry about it, fired up engine on muffs and all was fine, until....... i shut her down, checked oil, nice and milky... so head gasket is likely blown, but i am going to change oil, just in case it was excessive moisture in block ( oil level is still at normal) anyways... on to my question.
engine is not original to boat, its a 350 crate motor, (old school) does not have the center bolt valve cover... how do find out what year it is to order a gasket set????
as always, thanks in advance for any help...

Old 05-06-2018, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Wow !!! I don't recall any SBC with a center bolt to fasten the valve covers.

The stagger around the perimeter of the covers did vary a bit, Enough so that early covers would not fit later heads.

The "crate motors are later. Made in Mexico! Most just fine,

Are you planning on a pull and refresh or merely swap in new hard gaskets.

In that "wet" environment and absent an over heat event, I'd suspect condensation. Change the oil a time or two interspersed with a run to temp and see if it cleans up.

Interesting., my son "restified" a mid 60's Chris Craft wood hulled cabin cruiser. It's SGC much modified now!

Carl! .

Old 05-06-2018, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member

If heads come iff they will got to a.machine shop for valve job and surfacing.
Po already did a few modifications, has an edelbrock intake and the marine edelbrock carb, alongside an msd distributor and coil.
I am really hoping it is just alot of condensation and am.led.to believe that may be the cause as oil level did not climb.
boat itself is an 87, so assuming original.engine lasted a few years, that would make crate motor a mid to early 90s, but again back to the valve covers. All 90s ones i am.seing have the center bolt pattern.

i cannot see the back of the block where.the date stamp.is supposed.to be. Lots of stuff back there!!!

lookig for another way to date engine..

Old 05-06-2018, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,950 Likes on 5,295 Posts

Darren,
Find the number stamped into the block. It will be on a flat machined surface somewhere. With that number you can look up what it was originally (which is more than you know now) and have a good guess what gaskets might fit.
(';')

Old 05-06-2018, 03:43 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

1st, you want the engine block casting number. It and the casting date will be visible on the top of theblock at the rear flange where the bell housing attaches. these are cast in ( not stamped )characters.

post what you find we can decode them for you.

Next look for a flat machined surface directly in front and below the passenger side cylinder head. Depending on theage ofthe engine you might find a series of characters likeV 0109xxx which represents the date the engine was assembled an what type of vehicle it was first installed in.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:50 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB
Darren,
Find the number stamped into the block. It will be on a flat machined surface somewhere. With that number you can look up what it was originally (which is more than you know now) and have a good guess what gaskets might fit.
(';')
The TBI engines had the rocker covers with the bolts in the center.

The ENGINE Number is on the front of the engine as stated.

bob

Old 05-06-2018, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

I'd retorque the intake first. Its more common for SBC to leak from the intake manifold gasket, and since SBC's have wet manifolds it quote possible coolant is leaking from the water port into the valley.

Flepro 1204 is a great choice for the intake manifold. Intake sealing is always an issues on a SBC so be sure to use a thin coat of silicone on 4 the water ports.

Use Permatex 80632 thread sealer on the head bolts as they are not blind and sit in water. Some heads have bolts that sit in water to and under pressure water can migrate up the threads. Same sealer.

If you do need a HG the Felpro 17030 is a good choice because it a Marinized HG for a standard bore 350. Center or perimeter bolts is not significant in this case.

Last edited by icsamerica; 05-06-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
1st, you want the engine block casting number. It and the casting date will be visible on the top of theblock at the rear flange where the bell housing attaches. these are cast in ( not stamped )characters.

Next look for a flat machined surface directly in front and below the passenger side cylinder head. Depending on theage ofthe engine you might find a series of characters likeV 0109xxx which represents the date the engine was assembled an what type of vehicle it was first installed in.
site to help if you get the casting nos Chevy Casting Number identification - Block casting numbers

Old 05-07-2018, 01:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey

site to help if you get the casting nos Chevy Casting Number identification - Block casting numbers

same place also has info on head casting nos Chevy cylinder head Identification - Small block casting numbers

Old 05-07-2018, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

Thank for all the help folks, i will try to see if i xan access any of those areas.. engine is basically in a hole in the floor of the boat, so access is very very limited...