XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Finally finished the woodtrim

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 12:33 PM
Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by jnporcello
However, I have been warned by others that many adhesives used to adhere wood to metal may bleed through the thin veneer.

Actually, sometimes the adhesive does seep through the grain. In that case you can wait until it gets hard and scrape it with sand paper.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:12 PM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts
Default the way I did and what I used

I got the lacquer off... bad news is the veneer came off too in places. I am thinking of following Daveb's lead and re-veneering myself.

What did you use to adhere the veneer to the metal? I was advised from a veneer store that West System F-flex650 would be the best to adhere raw veneer with no backing to metal. However, I have been warned by others that many adhesives used to adhere wood to metal may bleed through the thin veneer. I'd love to hear what other's used and their thoughts.

Also, I love the color of Warrjon's finished wood. Is that the natural wood with just the poly finish, or did you stain it with something first?

I used 3M 77 to adhere the raw wood to the metal, set it upside down and place some weight on it, not sure how much weight I used because placed some large pieces of walnut I had around that I use for turning. the wood to wood I used Elmers wood glue, the kind that is water proof and can be stained and painted. Remember you also have to "Soften" up the raw veneer before using, you can find out ways on the internet. Hope this helps.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by petemohr
FWIW - Many pro woodworkers use Unibond 800 Urea adhesive for veneering.
Here's some info on it:
A Review of Urea Resin Glue | The Wood Whisperer
Google will give more details.

The Wood Whisperer is a great resource, I follow him

Old 01-23-2014, 05:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Guys --- very useful--- My next taks after my cylinder head task on my S3 and need to get it done for my XJS Conv. RHD conversion

Thanks

Old 01-25-2014, 05:08 PM
Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

novice question here:
what did you use to pry the pieces off of the dash? screwdriver?

ive taken off the two pieces that have the buttons, but the others seem attached quite tightly, and i dont want to destroy either the panels or the dash.

thanks.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:32 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

A while back I bought an auto trim removal kit. Just search it and you'll find plenty. It was the one of the best tools I have bought for working on vehicles. Its basically a bunch of plastic wedges and things made exactly for this kind of work.

The following users liked this post:
DrScientist (01-25-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 05:33 PM

Some of them are on there pretty tight, but they did come off after you can get up underneath and get started. I just took mine off this morning. No damage !

Old 03-08-2014, 08:27 AM

After a lot of thought about re-veneering and finishing the ski slope myself, I decided to remove all of the wood trim and have it professionally done so it would all match. And boy I couldn't be happier. I sent it to Britishautowood.com and he did a fantastic job! Between removing the wood pieces and him returning them, I put a walnut steering wheel from Myrtle Products on the car and posted a pic on the forum. Saul from Britishautowood used that photo and was able to match the newly veneered wood to the steering wheel. It looks fantastic! The attention to detail is superb. He bookmatched the ski slope with the most detail in the middle to produce some great patterns. The center dash and the glove compartment veneer came from the same piece of wood that carries the grain over between the 2 trim pieces. Very high end, very professional.

Finally finished the woodtrim-dsc03821.jpg
Finally finished the woodtrim-interior2.jpg

Old 03-08-2014, 09:12 AM
Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts

Beautiful!

Old 03-08-2014, 01:10 PM
Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

[QUOTE=jnporcello;926547]After a lot of thought about re-veneering and finishing the ski slope myself, I decided to remove all of the wood trim and have it professionally done so it would all match. And boy I couldn't be happier. I sent it to Britishautowood.com and he did a fantastic job! Between removing the wood pieces and him returning them, I put a walnut steering wheel from Myrtle Products on the car and posted a pic on the forum. Saul from Britishautowood used that photo and was able to match the newly veneered wood to the steering wheel. It looks fantastic! The attention to detail is superb. He bookmatched the ski slope with the most detail in the middle to produce some great patterns. The center dash and the glove compartment veneer came from the same piece of wood that carries the grain over between the 2 trim pieces. Very high end, very professional.

Wow, that is excellent work.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

After a lot of thought about re-veneering and finishing the ski slope myself, I decided to remove all of the wood trim and have it professionally done so it would all match. And boy I couldn't be happier. I sent it to Britishautowood.com and he did a fantastic job! Between removing the wood pieces and him returning them, I put a walnut steering wheel from Myrtle Products on the car and posted a pic on the forum. Saul from Britishautowood used that photo and was able to match the newly veneered wood to the steering wheel. It looks fantastic! The attention to detail is superb. He bookmatched the ski slope with the most detail in the middle to produce some great patterns. The center dash and the glove compartment veneer came from the same piece of wood that carries the grain over between the 2 trim pieces. Very high end, very professional.

Attachment 75236
Attachment 75237
I still kave that mismatch on my dash between the two larger pieces (my XJS gallery), but I have been lazy to tackle the removal of the pieces to get them refinished, as one involves pulling out the whole faschia to gain access to attaching bolts and with the air bag in the middle of things, (yes, all XJS' '94 and up). I did manufacture and finish the radio surrounds, myself.

Other than that, Saul's work is the standard, hands down.

BTW, has anybody removed the (LHD) "airbag" wood piece lately?

Cheers,

Last edited by Forcedair1; 04-23-2014 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Forgot the question I was going to ask
Old 09-07-2014, 02:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Perused with awe the above posts. I have a simpler question. I wish to exchange the wood trim on the console from '95 XJS with another '95 XJS. Once I have remove the various bezels, will the veneer wood just lift out, or is it glued to the console structure.

Thanks to whoever has knowledge and time to respond. Gary

Old 09-07-2014, 02:20 AM
Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Here you can see the pics of the procedure.
All written in Japanese and you won't be able to read, but the pics will give you an idea what it is like.
Undo the screw under the center console box catch lid, remove all the bezels and remove 2 bolts on the side. Then pull the veneer and it comes off.

http://jaglover.web.fc2.com/XJSmaint...erremoval.html

Old 09-07-2014, 07:31 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,177 Posts

It is held in place with one single Philips head screw that will be visible once you remove the armrest cubby and two tabs that fit into two slots just under the radio.

No glue. No mess. No problem.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:10 PM
Default Nice

Attachment 75236
Attachment 75237

Really looks super nice

Old 09-07-2014, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,995 Likes on 5,311 Posts

That's Pretty!!
(';')