XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Finally Joined the Club

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 10:45 PM
Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Finally Joined the Club

Colleagues
Just took possession today of a late 83 model HE. Rare one that was originally an Australian import from new and was one owner, only 130K on the clock.
Still the usual problems are there, a couple of spots of rust in the normal places and the compulsory Jag oil leak part no5674 as the leaks have part numbers associated with them, but overall a lovely car indeed. Drove it some 700km to home with no major issues but some minor ones that are a little troubling.
Like most typical XJS issues, I believe the radiator needs to be cleaned and changed to single pass. Didn't overheat and the quicker you went the the cooler it got but still needs attention.
For most of the trip the car was fine but after a swap of driver for the last leg home a strong smell of fuel was in the cabin when traveling uphill or turning right? I will have to go chasing fuel lines to see if I can find anything.

Is there a way to increase dashboard lumination? The dash and instruments are mighty dim, while night driving, I was unable to find a dimmer switch.

Other than that, a re-spray, a little suspension work and a 5 speed mod are in order. Is there a way to clean up the spaghetti junction called the motor wiring harness and plumbing so its workable?

Old 06-23-2013, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Fuel odor/hoses: don't delay! Lots of possible leaks sources, including the main tank and the sumt tank...and of course the hoses

Panel lights: cleaning the contacts on the back of the instrument cluster can help, as can adding a redundant ground. Some bypass the rheostat to enure full voltage to the bulbs. Cleaning the bulbs and filters can help. Others still use LED bulbs.

Congratualtions on the XJS !

Cheers
DD

Old 06-25-2013, 06:31 PM

G'Day Friends

Found the source of my fuel leak, Yes you guessed it, a perishing hose.
Well the best thing to do now Ill get some new hose and change the lot, just for piece of mind. While I'm at it Ill remove the distributor and overhaul it as stated in Kirby's book. Might as well and do a full service, plugs, leads, cap dizzy, at least its done then. Oh well there goes one weekend. gone!

Does anyone know were I can find the timer unit for the distributor? I want to disengage that as well.

One other thing is where can you buy new door seals from? I need the one that seal the side windows, these are rock hard and falling apart.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:43 AM

Ok I will just keep replying to my own thread?
for those with any interest the thread directly below mine answered one question for me, believe it or not, not it has nothing to do with their thread but just shear FLUKE it came up. I found how and where to disconnect the timer, that's all that counts.

For seals and rubbers if you are in OZ I found Spectrum Rubber
They maybe able to help, I have sent them a Email , just have to see what comes back.