XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Found my car and the Decision is Made

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 03:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Found my car and the Decision is Made

Well I want to thank everyone for their imput on how to get my newly purchased 1990 XJS convertible from the previous owner to my place in Vermont. Well I have given this decision very careful consideration. It will be trucked to Vermont by carrier. The cost for trucking is about the same as the drive back to Vermont. No chance of break down in transit. A 1000 miles will not be registered on the odometer. Once in Vermont, I will be able to give it a good thorough going over and do the proper maintenance. And then, God willing, I will have many opportunities to drive it...
Thanks everyone.....
Jim

Old 06-16-2013, 10:23 PM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

Congrats...

The following users liked this post:
JimmyC (06-17-2013)
Old 06-17-2013, 04:14 PM

Thanks Ron, Actually I jsut came back from Tennessee.... What a nice place. Oh and the car seems to me pristine I am really excited about it. Hopefully I will have it in 7-10 days.
Jim

Old 06-17-2013, 04:24 PM
Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts

Great! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Pictures, pictures, pictures!

Old 06-21-2013, 06:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my 95 xjs from Rhode island and drove it back to Massachusetts where I live, 2 hours high way. The car was garaged for years without driving, I drove it directly without any maintainence( it was sunday, no garage was open). when I home, I found there was no fluid in the car, and gas was too old, oil need to be changed
but thanks god, I made it.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:12 AM

Hi Jaguarlover. Yeah if I were a few hours away it would have been a no brainer and I would have done what you did. But being over 1000 miles away, I feared getting stranded in the middle of no where. If I were younger I probably would not have thought about it too much, and I would have just driven it home. Anyway, the car will be put on a long distance car carrier next weekend and I should have it be the 4th or there abouts. Where in MA are you located. It would be nice to meet up with other jag owners.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyC
Hi Jaguarlover. Yeah if I were a few hours away it would have been a no brainer and I would have done what you did. But being over 1000 miles away, I feared getting stranded in the middle of no where. If I were younger I probably would not have thought about it too much, and I would have just driven it home. Anyway, the car will be put on a long distance car carrier next weekend and I should have it be the 4th or there abouts. Where in MA are you located. It would be nice to meet up with other jag owners.
I live in Quincy, yeah you are right, I would not that something like that next time, my jag was garaged for years without driving, it's my first car, I'm new about cars so I didn't know the harms it would bring to drive it directly back home. now it is 2 months later after that, the clutches have some problem now, so regret I didn't call a carrier, couldn't afford it though.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:42 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

JimmyC, Very smart move with having it transported. When I bought my 93XJS, I was in a similiar situation as you, except the drive was only 100 miles, but in the dead of winter. I decided to have it trailered.
Within several days of getting it home, the weather broke and I decided to take it out for a short checkout drive. Not knowing this car or ever even driving a Jaguar before, I did not know what to expect from it or how it should feel when driven.
Long story short, it seemed to drive good, but a little sluggish. Within 15 minutes, the rear brakes and axle were on fire. It turned out the whole rear braking system was frozen, including the e-brake.
Thank goodness for the snow on the ground for I was able to put the fire out by throwing snow onto the brakes and axle area. I was able to save the body from any real damage.
Today I have a completely new rear brake system and all new axle parts. If I was on the road or expressway, driving it home, I do believe the car would have burned up. Good luck with your new purchase.

The following users liked this post:
JimmyC (06-25-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 06:36 AM

Thanks 93greenconv,
Your experience is exactly why I did not drive it home. However, if I were 100 or 200 miles away I probably would have. Or anyway I would have thought about it a little longer. But too many things can go wrong, especially like you said, when you are not familiar with a vehicle. And me too, this is the first jag that I have ever had. I Can't wait. It is supposed to be loaded up on Friday or Sat. I am anticipate getting it for the 4th.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:42 AM
Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts

On the 4th!
If Bethel has a 4th of July parade, maybe you can leave it on the flatbed, throw some flags on it, and join in!
Congrats.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by 93greenconv
JimmyC, Very smart move with having it transported. When I bought my 93XJS, I was in a similiar situation as you, except the drive was only 100 miles, but in the dead of winter. I decided to have it trailered.
Within several days of getting it home, the weather broke and I decided to take it out for a short checkout drive. Not knowing this car or ever even driving a Jaguar before, I did not know what to expect from it or how it should feel when driven.
Long story short, it seemed to drive good, but a little sluggish. Within 15 minutes, the rear brakes and axle were on fire. It turned out the whole rear braking system was frozen, including the e-brake.
Thank goodness for the snow on the ground for I was able to put the fire out by throwing snow onto the brakes and axle area. I was able to save the body from any real damage.
Today I have a completely new rear brake system and all new axle parts. If I was on the road or expressway, driving it home, I do believe the car would have burned up. Good luck with your new purchase.
astonishing story, I did the same, drove it home with no maintainence, and the clutches are bad now