XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Front Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 09:32 AM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

I was told the jumper plug was behind the lower panel to the left of the steering column. (on a left hand drive car) I have not worked on the inside of my car yet. Still working on front and rear suspension and brakes. Can't find a source for the front and rear springs.

Last edited by RonaldP; 06-28-2016 at 09:34 AM. Reason: added spaces back in
Old 07-18-2016, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the switches out and dropped off the covers under the dash. I could not find the plug anywhere. I'm in California so mine is a LH Drive. Can you give me any more clues?

Thanks

Old 07-18-2016, 11:40 PM

I have not looked for the jumper plug, but Iwas told it was behind the left knee pad...I just went out and dropped thepanel under the steering column to see if I could see any unused plugs. None thereso it is going to take some more digging. I am going to pull the instrumentpanel and replace the warning lights with LEDs so I will do some more diggingwhen I get into that project. I am building a deck outside now and the Jag isway back on the back burner for now. If I do resolve the problem, I will postit with pictures.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Ron
If I figure it out you'll be the first to know, lol
John

Old 01-25-2017, 11:41 PM

Well it has been a while, but I opened all the panels, removed radio, clock and switch panel, console, pulled the instrument panel and went through all the wiring diagrams. The shorting plug is listed as an 8 way sumitomo standard black plug just to the right of the center console (where the switches are located) behind the "right side cheek panel". The cheek panels are the two covers at the forward ends of the console. Well there was no plug anywhere as described under the entire front dash that I could find. My wiring diagrams are 1995.5 and my XJS is a 95.25 model. A 91 diagram set calls for the plug to be behind the tachometer. Well it is not there either. I may need to cut into the harness and splice wires in to the correct end points. There is a diode in one leg to prevent back feed from the headlight module. Has anyone out there found the 8 way black shorting plug (ZA-1) with the SPD-1 diode jumped between two wires?

Old 01-29-2017, 02:04 AM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I have an interesting theory.
The face lifts have a space in the lower bumper which looks like it was meant for the curved recessed fog lights that were used on the x300 XJ6's.
See here.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:58 PM
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Reviving an old thread it looks like.
I have just purchased a 95 XJS convert. As far as I can see, I do not see any front Fog Lights or switch anywhere on the inst panel. Rear fogs, yes, next to the rear window defogger switch. I think I read somewhere on a spec sheet that they were an option. Is this true? What would it take to add a switch and all the needed wires and relay to make this work. Do you think the car is already pre-wired for the option if it was an option?

Thanks

Old 01-16-2018, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 374 Posts

If you want to do it as original ..not easy at all. See thread below. I would buy the switch and then using new wires so the lights work. But really...how often do you use the front fogs.

Last edited by malc4d; 01-17-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
The following users liked this post:
JLino (10-26-2021)
Old 01-16-2018, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

Ronald, I thought that you had the lights working ...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...g-plug-174381/

Last edited by malc4d; 01-17-2018 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:41 PM

Yes, I have mine working as if it were factory installed. I added the correct two switch packs, installed the shorting plug and plugged in the factory front fog lights into the wiring harness. All internal wiring, fuse, and relay were factory installed.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by RonaldP
Yes, I have mine working as if it were factory installed. I added the correct two switch packs, installed the shorting plug and plugged in the factory front fog lights into the wiring harness. All internal wiring, fuse, and relay were factory installed.
This is for a 95, 96 Facelift model? Where did you source the factory embedded type fog lights?

Old 01-18-2018, 10:19 PM

I just kept looking at different web sites until I found the correct set. I purchased a set that turned out to be incorrect. The two switches I purchased through Jaguar. The covers I found on eBay, the shorting plug took 3 years to find so I bought two. A fellow forum member sent me a link to the shorting plug and when I saw it I bought it right then. The same forum member told me where the shorting plug attached to the wiring harness which was above the driver side fuse and relay panel. It is a black 8 pin female plug. Your current fog light switch rear defroster gets replaced with a switch set that has both fog light. The hazard warning switch has a blank space to the right of the switch and it gets replaced with a combination hazard and rear defroster switch and they all plug into the same plugs as the switch you remove.

gerryxjs (08-13-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 11:40 PM

Ronald, I think there is some confusion. He said 'embedded' fog lights. In a previous post he seemed to think the factory fog lights were contoured to fit into the front bumber lower area. Carsnplanes- there were never any 'embedded' lights. They only offered rectangle light units that attach to the underside of the bumper.

gerryxjs (08-13-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Benj628
Ronald, I think there is some confusion. He said 'embedded' fog lights. In a previous post he seemed to think the factory fog lights were contoured to fit into the front bumber lower area. Carsnplanes- there were never any 'embedded' lights. They only offered rectangle light units that attach to the underside of the bumper.
Benj628...Thank you for picking up on that. I was asking all along about Facelift cars , which mine is. I have seen how the fogs are attached and look on Pre-Facelift cars which are and look separate and mounted on brackets. Seemingly easier to install. On Facelift cars, of course the bumper is different, molded, and perhaps having an integral recessed location built in to the bumper shape to accommodate the lights, as Malc4D has shown on his car.

Because I understand it was an option, I was asking if having them fitted after the fact was possible and if it merely meant that all you have to get is the switch, lights themselves and some mounting hardware behind the bumper. Perhaps the car is also pre-wired at the factory to accommodate the possible option.
Thanks

Old 01-19-2018, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

Ah ha...Ok , Its not my car, I have the V12 with factory fitted fogs . I found the pic on google search. I'm not sure if he used jaguar lights or remolded the spoiler but they sure do look good.

If you follow Ronalds journey you will get the Jaguar fogs. I did send a link to a guy on Flebay that makes a direct plug and play kit for your car.
You could just buy the lights, switches and run new wires and relays DIY. But as has been pointed out...How often would you even use them. ...errrr, never comes to mind. SO, just hang the lights under the bumper....lol

Last edited by malc4d; 01-19-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member

pic of facelift with fogs..

Old 01-19-2018, 10:16 AM

I'm currently attempting the same project so I am definitely staying tuned to this thread. As far as I know after buying one of these short link plugs that was just listed on eBay as pointed out by a fellow member I think the only thing I know lack is the other double switch which I have a source for so I should have one shortly.
When when I do finally attempt my installation even though I'm using aftermarket fog lights that are contoured to fit a facelift bumper as we have been discussing, I will be sure to take pictures of the installation process for any of those wanting to follow suit.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:20 PM

Malc4d...That is a nice looking 96 in the color I wanted. That is a right hand drive car and the windshield wipers park in front of the driver. My left hand drive car parks the wiper blades in front of the driver. My next project is to park my wipers to the right. kinda off topic for fog lights.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:40 PM

Ronald,
I trust you know about my instructional for doing that? You'll find it with a search. It was a lot easier than I expected and if you have any trouble let me know.

Quick Reply: Front Fog Lights