XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Front parking sensors for facelift bumper

Old 05-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Front parking sensors for facelift bumper

Hello guys,

I have been looking for a sensor for my front bumper for a long time. The first time I had the car repainted and the bumper fixed, it took me exactly 1 week to hook it somewhere and tear it up, now that the car is being repainted again, the bumper is getting fixed again. I found these old battery operated backup sensors and I am going to install them on the front eyelets. They came out several years ago and are probably outdated, but what sold me is that they don't need to be wired into the electrical system and work of the lighter or batteries. They are meant as reverse sensors but can be placed anywhere :

Parking Sensor JML V1665 | eBay

I don't think they where ever sold in the US, so I am getting them from England

These are so cheap I am going to get them anyway, but if anyone has another solution let me know. I own 3 cars and drive them all regularly. I tend to forget that in the xjs backup parking is the way to go.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:57 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
Hello guys,

I have been looking for a sensor for my front bumper for a long time. The first time I had the car repainted and the bumper fixed, it took me exactly 1 week to hook it somewhere and tear it up, now that the car is being repainted again, the bumper is getting fixed again.

These are so cheap I am going to get them anyway, but if anyone has another solution let me know. I own 3 cars and drive them all regularly. I tend to forget that in the xjs backup parking is the way to go.
Seems the idea of the backup sensors may not be a popular topic, from the lack of responses, but I must say, having them on ournewer Ford, they really do spoil a person.
I find the trunk (rear) of my XJS cannot be seen through the rear mirror, and the rear bumper sides taper inward just enough they cannot be seen from the side mirrors. I certainly do not want to tap into a wall or heaven forbid another vehicle, so your idea does interest me.
I'd like to see how they look on your car.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:56 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I tend to forget that in the xjs backup parking is the way to go.
I like to back into parking spots. People like eyeball the car as there walking down the parking lot at Walmart. When I pull up at gas station peoples heads turn. The XJS looks so cool when you park it alone in front of a business establishment like this pic.https://i.imgur.com/si5lB.jpg

This car is a ***** magnet the girls at school are always asking me for rides, the other people that drive rice burners to school always want to challenge me to a race. They like how the hood does not open from the front like regular cars and want to modify their car hood to do the same. One of my teachers called me out saying "What is a 18 year old kid like you doing driving a Jaguar to school everyday?"

Last edited by Lenoat702; 06-05-2013 at 02:01 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

These are so cheap I am going to get them anyway, but if anyone has another solution let me know.
Solution: Get intimate with your ride and know where the extremities are?

Old 06-05-2013, 02:11 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd eventually like to try and install a set of these on the front to protect the lower spoiler. I have the bad habit of sometimes hitting the spoiler on curbs.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:14 AM
Veteran Member

Lenoat702 - somebody take his keys:

- WTF are you doing at walmart
- those "rice burners" can probably kick your *** in any metric you care to measure
- your XJS probably cost less than 1/4 of your teacher's Camry.

Reality check.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Oddrods
I'd eventually like to try and install a set of these on the front to protect the lower spoiler. I have the bad habit of sometimes hitting the spoiler on curbs.
WTF Guys, curb feelers and parking sensors are not the answer. Take the time to know your XJS and you will be able to park it anywhere, anytime.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:45 AM

Well Flint, not everyone of us can have the awesome ability to never make the occasional mistake like yourself. But for those times when they do happen to me it would be nice to have a little extra reminder. I am glad that Lenoat702 is having fun with his car. It takes a special person to not follow the crowds. You should be praising him for going against the norm and not buying a Camaro, Mustang or any of the "cookie cutter" Japanese cars that all the other kids drive. It's arrogant, condescending comments like yours that give this hobby a black eye.

The following 2 users liked this post by Oddrods:
AndersA (12-27-2013), daverb (01-04-2014)
Old 06-05-2013, 08:38 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Lenoat702
I like to back into parking spots. People like eyeball the car as there walking down the parking lot at Walmart. When I pull up at gas station peoples heads turn. The XJS looks so cool when you park it alone in front of a business establishment like this pic.https://i.imgur.com/si5lB.jpg

This car is a ***** magnet the girls at school are always asking me for rides, the other people that drive rice burners to school always want to challenge me to a race. They like how the hood does not open from the front like regular cars and want to modify their car hood to do the same. One of my teachers called me out saying "What is a 18 year old kid like you doing driving a Jaguar to school everyday?"
I can appreciate the 'magnetism' of this car. I am too old and too married to properly exploit it. That being said, good for you for being 18 and having good taste. When I was 18, I drove a Jetta. Soulless!

Old 06-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag

- those "rice burners" can probably kick your *** in any metric you care to measure

Reality check.

1- That's being a bit "judge-y", wouldn't you say?

2- How about a chick magnet metric. Scratch that, I will quote the previous poster, let's set up a "***** magnet" metric for the cars?

3- only up front. I wonder who will have spent more when both cars have burnt their last ounce of gas...

Old 06-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Oh lord!

What happened here?...was the pharmacy closed for a few days leaving some of us without our meds?

Anyway, I have a XJS, E type and X type...I drive all of those regularly as well as my mothers and grandmothers cars sometimes. Please forgive me if I occasionally forget what car I am driving. It's hard for me to remember the XJS has that low low lip.

Bottom line is, at least for me, it's important to have some sort of reminder. Otherwise it's just a matter of time.

When I get the car back from the repaint and I fit the sensors, I will post a picture for those guys who are interested and perhaps a little forgetful like myself.

Last edited by Spikepaga; 06-05-2013 at 11:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spikepaga:
AndersA (12-27-2013), sherbercars (01-02-2014)
Old 06-05-2013, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag

Reality check.
LOL

What's wrong with Walmart? This car is a daily driver I go everywhere with this car.

I'm sure they can. Thats why I have never actually taken them up on their offer. The XJS is a very heavy car, I wouldn't have a chance. I would have to get an XJR to prove a point.

That is true, but this car is expensive to maintain.

Last edited by Lenoat702; 06-05-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello guys,

I have been looking for a sensor for my front bumper for a long time. The first time I had the car repainted and the bumper fixed, it took me exactly 1 week to hook it somewhere and tear it up, now that the car is being repainted again, the bumper is getting fixed again. I found these old battery operated backup sensors and I am going to install them on the front eyelets. They came out several years ago and are probably outdated, but what sold me is that they don't need to be wired into the electrical system and work of the lighter or batteries. They are meant as reverse sensors but can be placed anywhere :

I have the same problem and would love to know how this works out!

How/where are you planning to mount them to get the angle right? How will you power them? Most of these units are designed to get their power from the back-up light so they're only active when you put the car in reverse. If they are powered all the time, will they not beep while you are driving? Or are you planning to have a switch somewhere, hoping to remember to turn it on when you park?

Old 06-10-2013, 11:34 PM
Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts
Wink Dear Lenoat72

Do you own an xke or an xjs? Both are "***** magnets" but if your driving around in THAT xke (per your pic), Then there would be a LINE of chicks following you. That passenger seat wouldn't have a chance to cool down! I peruse the forums and read for info and fun and it IS funny how these threads move around a bit. One last thing, rice burners=fast, but the jaguars are fast, standing still! They don't need to race to win!

Last edited by buddyluv; 06-10-2013 at 11:39 PM. Reason: wrong info
Old 06-11-2013, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by AndersA
I have the same problem and would love to know how this works out!

How/where are you planning to mount them to get the angle right? How will you power them? Most of these units are designed to get their power from the back-up light so they're only active when you put the car in reverse. If they are powered all the time, will they not beep while you are driving? Or are you planning to have a switch somewhere, hoping to remember to turn it on when you park?
Re-read your post and saw the sensors you found are battery powered. But I will be interested in how you mount them so they don't go off while you are driving.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by buddyluv
Do you own an xke or an xjs? Both are "***** magnets" but if your driving around in THAT xke (per your pic), Then there would be a LINE of chicks following you. That passenger seat wouldn't have a chance to cool down! I peruse the forums and read for info and fun and it IS funny how these threads move around a bit. One last thing, rice burners=fast, but the jaguars are fast, standing still! They don't need to race to win!
I don't own a xke(I wish). That was a picture I found found on the internet as an example.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Meh - humor doesn't always translate well in text. Enjoy your XJS!! It sure as hell doesn't need curb feelers though.

If you figure out a way to (unobtrusively) install backup sensors, post the solution! Another option may be to install a backup camera above the rear license plate. Trick is finding a viewing solution that doesn't look out of place in the classic interior.

Let us know what you come up with

And yeah, the forward hinged bonnet is way sexy.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:44 AM

I actually want to install them on the front bumper to protect the air dam.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:05 PM

When I get the car back from the repaint and I fit the sensors, I will post a picture for those guys who are interested and perhaps a little forgetful like myself.
Did the back-up sensors work? Do you have any additional info for those of us looking for a solution to this very problem?

Thanks!!

Old 12-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,905 Likes on 1,661 Posts

How about the Mark 1 eyeball?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front parking sensors for facelift bumper