XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Front spoiler, solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front spoiler, solutions?

HI, I'm wondering if there are any solutions to the front spoiler on the 1996 XJS. The spoiler is so low to the ground that I end up cracking it within several days of getting it repaired. Every time. Without fail. Parking curbs usually do the trick if a large driveway dip doesn't.

Anyone have any luck with a modification?

I have considered maybe having a rubber spoiler custom built so there is more give and it bends instead of cracking.

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
Roger Simpson (12-31-2022)
Old 09-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello,
If you can have a rubber spoiler made some where I would be interested in knowing about it. My spoiler is looks good. I do have a half inch crack at the very bottom. I'll have it epoxied to keep it from growing. I found many XJS owners have removed their spoilers due to extensive damage.
I did find something that can be painted and may look quite good on the XJS that has had its spoiler removed. The price is very cheap and the look should very decent.

Universal Front Body Kit Lip Canards Flippers Splitters Jaquar Jeep | eBay

Perhaps some of the readers might know about a complete aftermarket spoiler that would fit the XJS.

Regards,
Lou

Old 09-15-2013, 01:45 PM

Thanks Lou. The only concern about removing the spoiler and going with nothing is that I have read about the possibility that the spoiler is there for a reason. It may even be related to helping the engine cool. I'm not sure if that's the case but it is kinda scary to think I might be harming my Jag if I take it off completely.

If the consensus is that it won't hurt the car then I'm up for removing it completely.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:34 PM

During my search for a spoiler I came across many XJS who mentioned that they removed their spoiler due to excessive damage. They stated how surprised they were that the jag looked good with out it. Also there were some who questioned if the spoiler was needed to cool the engine. No blog said it made any difference. I would guess that for someone with no spoiler, the eBay item would look decent, especially if you paint it to the body color.

Lou

Old 09-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Do you have the undertray? I find that without it, I cracked my spoiler easily. With the undertray in, it seems much more resilient.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:38 PM

I do have the undertray. Its in perfect condition. I can see at the bottom of my spoiler that it has brushed up against concrete. The small white grooves are there.
It undertray tucks up into the rim of the spoiler.
Fyi...The part number is: BEC14385 - Spoiler undertray. (1994-1996)
They are expensive.. Spoiler Undertray - Motorcars LTD
I don't think its difficult to fabricate one. Use cardboard to make a template. A heavy flexible plastic panel could be cut and molded with a heat gun to fit. The hard part is to find a spoiler. If one can find a spoiler, I would bet that it will need patching and repair.

Lou

Old 09-15-2013, 03:41 PM

here you go...by luck found a new spoiler...

Spoiler - Motorcars LTD
SKU BD45624 Price: $298.74

Old 09-15-2013, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueSurf
here you go...by luck found a new spoiler...

Spoiler - Motorcars LTD
SKU BD45624 Price: $298.74

That is a pre-facelift front spoiler. I do not if it will fit the facelift car as the whole front bumper cover is different.

Any car that sits as low as the XJS will have issues with damaging the front spoiler. There are a couple of companies that make fiberglass replacements. These are much stonger than the plastic originals but will still crack if hit hard enough.

Facelift Fiberglass front bar

Jaguar XJS Bumper Cover

Old 09-15-2013, 05:25 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My car has never had a chin spoiler as it was missing when I bought the car. I think it looks good without it, as I have never really liked the look of them.

As far as engine cooling is concerned, the only time my car ever gets to the "N" or above is while sitting in traffic. The car always runs cool while driving so I have some doubt as to the functionality of the spoiler.

Attached Thumbnails Front spoiler, solutions?-100_0552.jpg  
Old 09-15-2013, 05:40 PM

Thanks for the awesome response and advice guys.

Big Walleye, I've never seen a Jag with your black rubber bumper AND a spoiler before. Are you sure yours came with a spoiler? Or did you add the rubber bumper?

Old 09-15-2013, 05:49 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I haven't thought about it. I just assumed that it should have the spoiler. It has the black bumper front and rear and I haven't added anything.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 434 Likes on 377 Posts

The colour coded bumpers arrived around 1993 on the 4.0l cars then the V12s. Before that they were on the Sport TWR cars, also could be bought as an add on after market bumper. And are still available on sites like Ebay. You do loose that super chrome though.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:03 AM

Warren you are correct. As you stated my spoiler info was not for a 1994-1996.
Would anyone know the correct part number for the front spoiler for years 94-96?
I searched everything I could find and it seems that many sites have inaccurate information.

Lou

Old 09-16-2013, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

The spoiler part number is BEC13168

Cheers,

Allan

Old 09-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 434 Likes on 377 Posts

That part number is the small rubber spoiler for the cars up to vin 188104 after that you need the full front assembly bec13469xxx

Part no. BEC13469XXX | Bumper cover parts from Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Best from a breakers....

Had looked into fixing that part to my '92 but the front section is different on the later cars. Guessing that would make fixing the rubber spoiler to later cars also difficult.
My best option is the TWR spoiler kit but I would loose the front fogs and the chrome.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:55 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The spoiler under the chin of the XJS was supposed to redirect air upwards into the transmission cooler and lower part of the radiator. Did it actually work? I don't know, maybe at high speeds. But at high speeds you're probably getting sufficient air to cool the engine anyway. So while the idea was that it would redirect more airflow, I'm not convinced it was ever actually tested.

Also, I grew up around low-riders (in Los Angeles). It's funny what I instinctively consider a road hazard. Four inch rock? That's a boulder! Dip in the street? That's a cliff! Standing water? Ah meh gard, it's a lake!

Old 09-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by malc4d
That part number is the small rubber spoiler for the cars up to vin 188104 after that you need the full front assembly bec13469xxx

Part no. BEC13469XXX | Bumper cover parts from Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Best from a breakers....

Had looked into fixing that part to my '92 but the front section is different on the later cars. Guessing that would make fixing the rubber spoiler to later cars also difficult.
My best option is the TWR spoiler kit but I would loose the front fogs and the chrome.
Um, don't think so. The part you quoted is the bumper cover, not the spoiler which attaches underneath. The spoiler and the under tray are shown here for facelift cars. Spoiler and Undertray-Front - Parts For XJS from (V)179737 to (V)226645 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Cheers,

Allan

Old 09-17-2013, 12:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

The front spoiler is one of the most striking body lines of the facelift XJS. Without the front spoiler, the car would look awful when parked next to a facelift with the spoiler. Anything else would look out of place.

Install an after market back up alarm with the sensor located at the spoiler, then carefully calibrate the desired proximity. I did and it works wonders.

katana man (09-17-2013)
Old 09-17-2013, 01:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Eskr
The spoiler under the chin of the XJS was supposed to redirect air upwards into the transmission cooler and lower part of the radiator.
I am not sure that this is the sole reason. 'Air dams' as they were once called over here, and the tray behind them, were, I believe, about controlling and directing the airflow under th car. I believe in order to create a low pressure area behind the dam in order to reduce front end lift. certainly my XJS, which I bought without an undertray and with a broken air dam, was MUCH more stable at three figure speeds once they had been installed.
Greg

Old 09-17-2013, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
I am not sure that this is the sole reason. 'Air dams' as they were once called over here, and the tray behind them, were, I believe, about controlling and directing the airflow under th car. I believe in order to create a low pressure area behind the dam in order to reduce front end lift. certainly my XJS, which I bought without an undertray and with a broken air dam, was MUCH more stable at three figure speeds once they had been installed.
+1. The spoiler and undertray have several functions on the 94-96 cars. As Greg states, they create a 'ground effect' that reduces front end lift significantly at high speed.

Also, because the XJS does not have any hood vents, the low pressure area created behind the the tray helps hot air to escape from the engine bay.

Another feature is the two openings at the ends of the spoiler that provide ducted cool air to the front brakes to help reduce heat build up and brake fade during high speed stops.

Cheers,

Allan

Forcedair1 (09-17-2013)

Quick Reply: Front spoiler, solutions?