XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Fuel Filter in boot

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 08:14 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fuel Filter in boot

Hi there.
I've just signed into this forum so I hope you will forgive me if I repeat something that's already been covered.
I've been a member of the JEC for many years and I recall in one of the mags reading an article on how to clean out the swirl pot in the boot. Having gone through around 150 mags I cannot find that article. At the time it seemed to go into some detail on how to perform the cleaning. Does anyone happen to know which edition it was? Failing that, can anyone point me in the direction of a idiot's guide to doing this job please?
This is my XJS v12 built in 1987 (HE). It has very low mileage (c25,000 miles) and while it does start and run it is always rather sluggish and not what I remember from back in the day when I owned one from new.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,126 Likes on 5,372 Posts

• Disconnect battery
  • remove the metal cover below the battery which reveals the sump tank
  • there is a drain tap under the tank accessible through a hole in the boot floor which has a grommet in it
  • 3/4 a/f socket to undo the drain plug. Drain out all the fuel into containers, you will have to raise the car a bit to get access and room
  • once drained, the tank exit to the pump can be undone by tapping he locking ring anti-clockwise. Pull out the metal part which will have a filter on its end. renew this filter
  • examine the inside of the tank with a torch and see if it is full of crud. If it is, flush it out until clean.
  • change the main filter behind the spare wheel, being careful to get the direction arrow correct!
Do you have Lucas or Marelli ignition? If Lucas, your vac capsule on the dizzy may have stopped working. Plus, you probably need new plugs and HT leads, and maybe coils.

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Grant Francis (11-20-2020), roman_mg (11-21-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 08:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
  • Disconnect battery
  • remove the metal cover below the battery which reveals the sump tank
  • there is a drain tap under the tank accessible through a hole in the boot floor which has a grommet in it
  • 3/4 a/f socket to undo the drain plug. Drain out all the fuel into containers, you will have to raise the car a bit to get access and room
  • once drained, the tank exit to the pump can be undone by tapping he locking ring anti-clockwise. Pull out the metal part which will have a filter on its end. renew this filter
  • examine the inside of the tank with a torch and see if it is full of crud. If it is, flush it out until clean.
  • change the main filter behind the spare wheel, being careful to get the direction arrow correct!
Do you have Lucas or Marelli ignition? If Lucas, your vac capsule on the dizzy may have stopped working. Plus, you probably need new plugs and HT leads, and maybe coils.
Thanks Greg. Very useful and informative. Unfortunately, my TR6 failed its MOT (well, the Belgian equivalent) and I have 2 weeks to fix it. Nothing too tricky apart from one upper ball joint! But it does mean I have to postpone work on the Jag probably for a month or two with Christmas coming up.
Many thanks again and will be back in touch soon.
Steve

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (11-22-2020)