XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Fuel and vacume hoses - what material is best?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Default Fuel and vacume hoses - what material is best?

Well hello there!

We all know, that the V12 likes to get hot. Meaning that the rubber hoses in the engine bay will rather quickly lose their softness and therefore go brittle.

In order to find something durable, I can't be arsed to replace the hoses every 3-4 years, I wanted to ask: has anyone got any tips?

I was considering using black silicone hoses for the vacume lines (like from tranny to engine, from dizzy to engine etc.) but would that stay soft and not leak in the end?

Regarding the fuel lines: they must be reinforced and for my jobs BLACK. Steel braided can be really beautiful, but I need original looks. Any "standard" fuel hose or is there one really recommendable? I mean, even the cheap stuff should be better than factory rubber, right?

Cheers guys

Damien

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,747 Likes on 7,099 Posts

No specific tips as to hose material. I've always been happy with the standard stuff. However, beware of low-quality silicone hose being represented as a great improvement over conventional rubber hoses. There is some junky stuff being foisted off.

If the scope of your project allows it I'd focus more on the *routing* of hoses (and wires) wherever possible, personally.

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
Daim (02-17-2017), orangeblossom (02-17-2017), paydase (02-18-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,077 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
I was considering using black silicone hoses for the vacume lines (like from tranny to engine, from dizzy to engine etc.) but would that stay soft and not leak in the end?

Regarding the fuel lines: they must be reinforced and for my jobs BLACK. Steel braided can be really beautiful, but I need original looks. Any "standard" fuel hose or is there one really recommendable? I mean, even the cheap stuff should be better than factory rubber, right?
I used 4mm ID pure silicone vac line hose when I rebuilt ending in 2011. Just perfect still, highly recommended, far better than the original.
The OEM engine bay fuel feed and return lines, by contrast are actually very good quality, I have never had a problem with them, and some are still available new. If you can get new ones, I would use them. if not, then use the very best quality items you can find, I have had very good results from:
100R6 multi purpose hoses
and from
Barricade® Fuel Injection Hose (MPI) | Gates Corporation
and
Goodridge 210 Series Fuel & Oil Hose | Demon Tweeks
Not worth ecponomising on.
Ggreg

The following 3 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Daim (02-17-2017), orangeblossom (02-17-2017), paydase (02-18-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
No specific tips as to hose material. I've always been happy with the standard stuff. However, beware of low-quality silicone hose being represented as a great improvement over conventional rubber hoses. There is some junky stuff being foisted off.

If the scope of your project allows it I'd focus more on the *routing* of hoses (and wires) wherever possible, personally.

Cheers
DD
Routing will be modified. That is something I definately plan on and that is something I am allowed to change... *phew*

The fuel hose routing already is okay. The vacume lines though were/are chaos. Too close to hot parts etc.

Cheap silicone hoses (mostly those that cost about €1/m will be ignored. Some solid ones would be more clever...

Originally Posted by Greg in France
I used 4mm ID pure silicone vac line hose when I rebuilt ending in 2011. Just perfect still, highly recommended, far better than the original.
The OEM engine bay fuel feed and return lines, by contrast are actually very good quality, I have never had a problem with them, and some are still available new. If you can get new ones, I would use them. if not, then use the very best quality items you can find, I have had very good results from:
100R6 multi purpose hoses
and from
Barricade® Fuel Injection Hose (MPI) | Gates Corporation
and
Goodridge 210 Series Fuel & Oil Hose | Demon Tweeks
Not worth ecponomising on.
Ggreg
The original fuel lines are - in my opinion - not really the best. Okay, maybe because the fuel system was a little "neglected" on my old beast, but the hoses were extremely brittle. On my XJ the hoses look a lot better (even though never changed). Shame I can't get plastic "preshaped" hoses like the X308 uses... Plastic with a rubber core. So SHOULD it leak, it can't get through the plastic. Only downside: the plastic can also crack off...

I won't be scrooging on that... I will be rebuilding the pipes (again, as the rubber I used was okay, but it has a textile cover and just looks bad) so all will be new... Yay!

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (02-17-2017)