XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Gasket Material For ABS Pedal Box (XJS V12)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 02:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,747 Likes on 2,597 Posts
Default Gasket Material For ABS Pedal Box (XJS V12)

Yes! It's really is getting that close!

If all goes well then I could be putting the ABS back into 'The Ice Princess' at the Weekend.

But first I need to make a Gasket on to which to re seat it, as the old one fell to pieces when I took it out.

I don't want to go the 'mastic route' in case I have to take it out again.

Though there is a place not far from me that sells every type of rubber and stuff like that, than you could imagine.

Unless it would be better to make one from something else?

Ideas Please.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

OB,

I'd have thought that any thin rubber would do. However, remember that you're trying to seal it from both engine fumes as well as water ingress. With only four bolts, one in each corner, there is a possibility that it may not pull up and be water and fume-tight along its four sides if you only use a rubber gasket.

My suggestion would be to use a thin run rubber gasket and use a bead of sealant (on both sides of the rubber). Use a sealant that remains soft and doesn't fully cure. In that way, you can keep the cabin water and fume-free yet still be able to dismantle it if you need.

I'm sure others may have much better ideas!

Paul

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 05:32 AM
Received 10,308 Likes on 6,819 Posts

I'm with Paul somewhat.

I would use a Hi-Temp RTV, using about a 5mm bead all round.

That stuff will part out when required, but since you have such enormous FAITH, it will not be a requirement.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
I'm with Paul somewhat.

I would use a Hi-Temp RTV, using about a 5mm bead all round.

That stuff will part out when required, but since you have such enormous FAITH, it will not be a requirement.
Hi Grant

The Valve block I took off 'The Ice Princess' was making all the wrong noises, when I gave it an electrical test.

And when I took a valve out, it was full of gungy white stuff underneath, so I am going to have to do a full rewire and rebuild (can't even believe I just said that!) as there isn't any slack in those ribbon connectors.

So I took the ABS off my Scrap Car and then took the Valve block off that, as it looked almost like New! So may have had a new one fitted at some time. (Just like new on the inside BTW)

I could have just done a straight ABS swop from one Car to the other but the ABS on the Scrap Car (apart from the valve block) looked really corroded and manky (I'll post some more photos later)

If it works! which of course it will, as I have so much FAITH!

I'll rebuild the other one in the Spare Time, that I never have.

Getting back to the Gasket.

Did you mean use RTV as well as a Gasket, or just use RTV all on its own?

Old 04-16-2015, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member

OB,

Just a personal view but I'd use a gasket of some form as well. It can help to provide a surface between the two metal sides and by using an RTV you can then create a good airtight joint. I assume that the gasket which fell apart was the base joint gasket (item 2) on the attached link, rather than the pedal boot retainer (item 36).

Paul

Old 04-16-2015, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
OB,

I'd have thought that any thin rubber would do. However, remember that you're trying to seal it from both engine fumes as well as water ingress. With only four bolts, one in each corner, there is a possibility that it may not pull up and be water and fume-tight along its four sides if you only use a rubber gasket.

My suggestion would be to use a thin run rubber gasket and use a bead of sealant (on both sides of the rubber). Use a sealant that remains soft and doesn't fully cure. In that way, you can keep the cabin water and fume-free yet still be able to dismantle it if you need.

I'm sure others may have much better ideas!

Paul
Hi Paul

Guess what!

As soon as I took out the ABS the Reservoir came off dead easy, while it seemed almost impossible to remove while in the Car.

She's really coming on leaps and bounds and if I had that Gasket, I might even be driving Her round the Garden by now.

12 years ago, I would never ever think, of even having a go at something like this, as I had a really bad habit of over thinking things, instead of just getting the Spanners out and getting on with it.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member

OB,

Just a personal view but I'd use a gasket of some form as well. It can help to provide a surface between the two metal sides and by using an RTV you can then create a good airtight joint. I assume that the gasket which fell apart was the base joint gasket (item 2) on the attached link, rather than the pedal boot retainer (item 36).

Paul
Hi Paul

I don't think you sent the link?

Old 04-16-2015, 08:34 AM

OB, purely your choice.

RTV was basically un-invented in the Auto industry back in the 70's, and gaskets, insertion rubber, whatever, were all that was available, so use them they did.

When RTV came along it was used as a miracle sealer for almost anything, and got some raw deals.

I use various grades for whatever I am doing. Mainly Red Hi-Temp.

Example:

When I rebuilt the HE, I used it for most places where "paper" type gaskets once lived. Matter of fact the only "gaskets" on that engine are the head gaskets and exhaust gaskets.

NO GOOD where contact with raw fuel is possible, that is a serious NO NO.

I would also NEVER use it where brake fluid was present, I reckon that fluid would have the RTV doing some real wierd stuff.

That white gunk is probably due to "water" contamination over an extended time frame. I would be relooking at flushing that brake system after 12 years (I know you will do it, I just like typing haha), as that "white" gunk could be in the calipers.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member

OB,

Whoops! Sorry, forgot to include the link:

Brake and Clutch Pedals-Anti Lock Brakes - Parts For XJS from (V)139052 to (V)179736 | Jaguar Heritage Parts UK

As Grant has said, be careful to use a sealant that doesn't deteriorate if it comes into contact with something that might hit it in that engine bay. There are lost of non-setting mastics on the market both in traditional tube form and also on a roll whcih you can cut to length. Just google "non-setting mastic" and then check the comaptibility to fluids.

I just know that once this is back together, it won't be coming apart again! Have faith!

Paul
Paul

The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Grant Francis (04-16-2015), orangeblossom (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

OB,

Whoops! Sorry, forgot to include the link:

Brake and Clutch Pedals-Anti Lock Brakes - Parts For XJS from (V)139052 to (V)179736 | Jaguar Heritage Parts UK

As Grant has said, be careful to use a sealant that doesn't deteriorate if it comes into contact with something that might hit it in that engine bay. There are lost of non-setting mastics on the market both in traditional tube form and also on a roll whcih you can cut to length. Just google "non-setting mastic" and then check the comaptibility to fluids.

I just know that once this is back together, it won't be coming apart again! Have faith!

Paul
Paul
Hi Paul Cheers!

All good advice and thanks for the link, so I may as well order the gasket I need from those guys.

After all I've waited 12 years! so another couple of days won't make much difference and this is a job that you really don't want to make a habit of doing all over again.

Not that its that difficult, its just that I want to be driving rather than fixing, the other thing I'd like to get, is a new Braided pipe that goes from the bottom of the Reservoir to the low pressure metal brake fluid pipe.

Its not so much to do with Faith but more to do with the fact I don't know any different, although to be honest, I'm getting a 'Buzz' from hopefully being able to Fix this myself.

If I wheeled this into a Garage, I reckon that I would be getting a Bill for nearly £1,000!

Old 04-16-2015, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

OB, purely your choice.

RTV was basically un-invented in the Auto industry back in the 70's, and gaskets, insertion rubber, whatever, were all that was available, so use them they did.

When RTV came along it was used as a miracle sealer for almost anything, and got some raw deals.

I use various grades for whatever I am doing. Mainly Red Hi-Temp.

Example:

When I rebuilt the HE, I used it for most places where "paper" type gaskets once lived. Matter of fact the only "gaskets" on that engine are the head gaskets and exhaust gaskets.

NO GOOD where contact with raw fuel is possible, that is a serious NO NO.

I would also NEVER use it where brake fluid was present, I reckon that fluid would have the RTV doing some real wierd stuff.

That white gunk is probably due to "water" contamination over an extended time frame. I would be relooking at flushing that brake system after 12 years (I know you will do it, I just like typing haha), as that "white" gunk could be in the calipers.
Hi Grant

Cheers! I'm sure that you are 'bang on' with that but even so I haven't ruled out another new set of Front Calipers and this time will be careful that I don't fit them upside down, like I did the last time!

I'm really getting into it now! and am enjoying the fixing almost as much as the driving.

Grant Francis (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

OB,

Paul
Hi Paul

That firm that you gave me the link for don't have any of that Stuff.

The Gasket (item 2) is no longer available, nor is the Low Pressure Pipe that goes on the Bottom of the Reservoir.

So it looks as though I will have to make the Gasket, as for the hose, it looks OK, just a little bit manky but still Servicable.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

ABS Valve Block 'O' Rings

Does anyone know where I can get the Four 'O' rings that go between the ABS Actuator and the Valve Block.

The ones I have look Ok in one way but do look a bit squashed and as they do need to be fluid tight, I'd rather put some new ones in, if I can manage to find some.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member

Hi OB,

That "firm" is Jaguar! For bespoke parts like that which have very low turnover, if Jaguar haven't got any then I don't think you'll find any aftermarket supplier putting them into manufacture. Fortunately a gasket like that would be fairly easy for you to replicate from a similar type of material.

As regards the braided hose (which is also NLA from Jaguar) this is the low pressure side of the ABS, so I'm sure you could find a suitable replacement made from similar material. And if you do find something, the flexible pipe at the other end is the same part number so you could get two made.

A few others who have repaired the block have reused the O-rings. However, again I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult to source a replacement type of similar material.

Good luck OB. I'm looking forward to the photos of the refurbished valves and replacement wiring before it all goes back together!

Paul

orangeblossom (04-17-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 09:30 PM

OB,

Not sure what the UK has in the way of "Hydraulic Suppliers". We have the likes of Pirtek, Enzed, etc down here, and that supply hose would be a snap for them.

The o/rings, again, a hydraulic mob, or brake supplier that does cylinder/caliper refurbishing, would have them on the shelf, as they are NOT unique to Jaguar.

You will earn your Technitian Certificate very soon, trust me.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 04-16-2015 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Spelling still sucks
Old 04-17-2015, 01:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,087 Likes on 5,351 Posts

OB
If you use your lovely electronic vernier and measure the ID and OD of the ring and diameter of the actual rubber, then loads of places can supply as Grant mentioned. Make sure they are brake fluid resistant. Normally they come made from neoprene, (not sure if that is BF resistent) but other materials are out there (eg viton etc).

Fantastic job you are doing, and so brave! But is is a great feeling to fix them yourself isn't it?

Greg

Old 04-17-2015, 02:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
OB
If you use your lovely electronic vernier and measure the ID and OD of the ring and diameter of the actual rubber, then loads of places can supply as Grant mentioned. Make sure they are brake fluid resistant. Normally they come made from neoprene, (not sure if that is BF resistent) but other materials are out there (eg viton etc).

Fantastic job you are doing, and so brave! But is is a great feeling to fix them yourself isn't it?

Greg
Hi Greg

Thanks!

In fact Thanks Very Much!

My biggest problem at the moment is that I am starting to believe my own publicity, to the point where I actually think I know what I'm doing!

12 Years ago, I wouldn't have touched that ABS with a 'Barge Pole' but with the passing of time something happens and I'm ripping apart that ABS like someone who does this all the time.

And then once having done so wants to know how the thing works so I can fix it, which is kind of scarey with the amount of mechanical knowledge that I know that I don't have.

But I cannot let this beautiful Car languish in the Garage unloved any longer, so If I don't try and fix it no one will.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member

OB,

Not sure what the UK has in the way of "Hydraulic Suppliers". We have the likes of Pirtek, Enzed, etc down here, and that supply hose would be a snap for them.

The o/rings, again, a hydraulic mob, or brake supplier that does cylinder/caliper refurbishing, would have them on the shelf, as they are NOT unique to Jaguar.

You will earn your Technitian Certificate very soon, trust me.
Hi Grant

Thanks!

There is a place not far from me, that has every kind of rubber stuff that has ever been made, so if they don't have what I'm after, it doesn't exist!

Those flat faced 'O' rings that they want to charge a fortune for, are probably cut from a piece of rubber tube that cost a few pence, so I if I take a Valve block along, I reckon they will have the stuff I need.

As for a Gasket, that will be and easy thing to make, if I do a cardboard cut out first, so its all looking good and I just cannot wait to get 'The Ice Princess' back on the road.

As for getting a Certificate in 'Mechanicary' There is and only ever will be one 'Wizard of OZ' to go to when the going has got up and then gone off!

Grant Francis (04-17-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 03:02 AM
Veteran Member

Hi OB,

That "firm" is Jaguar! For bespoke parts like that which have very low turnover, if Jaguar haven't got any then I don't think you'll find any aftermarket supplier putting them into manufacture. Fortunately a gasket like that would be fairly easy for you to replicate from a similar type of material.

As regards the braided hose (which is also NLA from Jaguar) this is the low pressure side of the ABS, so I'm sure you could find a suitable replacement made from similar material. And if you do find something, the flexible pipe at the other end is the same part number so you could get two made.

A few others who have repaired the block have reused the O-rings. However, again I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult to source a replacement type of similar material.

Good luck OB. I'm looking forward to the photos of the refurbished valves and replacement wiring before it all goes back together!

Paul
Hi Paul

I think the original 'O' rings will probably be OK but I'll put new ones in if I can find some, as I'm going to this place that sells every kind of rubber thing that has been ever made.

I've also got loads of photos that I will put up in due course, which will hopefully be helpful to anyone else who has got or who may get this problem.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:07 AM

OB,

Your interest in this activity is "normal" for Jag owners, but few take the actual plunge.

Mine started in 1968 when I turned up at home (parents home) with my MK7. Dad had a MK4 3.5ltr, and got the most bizzre comments.

I HAD to learn what to do real quick. i simply could NT afford a mechanic, and Jag type mechanics were no existant, so the long haul started, HUGE number of blunders, and the mighty MK7 was soon sorted, and my daily driver for 3 years.

Walking to walk was a no no, as it was 30 miles away, so I too had be carefull not to disable the beast, as borrowing Dad's car was more of a no no.

I have been at it ever since.

NO ONE touches my Jags EVER. "If I cannot fix it, it aint broken".

I will sort your certificate when the "Ice Princess" has working brakes.

Quick Reply: Gasket Material For ABS Pedal Box (XJS V12)