XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Is this a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 01:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this a good idea?

Excitedly, I took my newly rebuilt and painted
front rotors along with EBC slotted rotors to the brake shop today. My sticking rotors soon to be a thing of the past. With eagerness I daydreamed of installed result. My child like impatientness and lack of a lift compelling me to spend the $200 quoted labor for installation.

Then the phone rang. Bad news. One of the rear calipers is leaking too. Nuts, this means the system cannot be bled without repair of at least that rear caliper too. That means removal of the rear cradle.

My hope was to put off rear brakes and suspension work until the budget would allow. The rear cradle needs everything bushings, seals, pads, rotor.etc... It only makes sense to do all these jobs at once of the cradle is going to be out. Dis-heartedly, I told the man at the repair shop not to do anything and I'd pick the car

One way I can think of to make this an easier pill to swallow is to get a second cradle and rebuild it as time and budget allow. Im trying avoid having a dismantled XJS in the driveway. At least now it is mobile enough to be moved.

There is a 88 Xjs intact cradle out of a coupe that i know of. It will be relatively easy to get. Im pretty sure it will swap for my 89 convertable once rebuilt.

Any thoughts on this plan from the experts?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Last edited by Even; 03-30-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:18 PM
Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

slotted and vented rotors

Speed sensor moved from the transmission to the rear axle around 1988 1989 that would be my only concern, but not sure why you could not install the front rotors yourself jack the car up take the wheels off and put it on blocks or axle stands and work away at your own pace just my two cents.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to the guy at the brake shop the system can't be bled if the rear caliper is shot.

I really like the idea of taking some time to do it. Just kinda busy for the foreseeable future.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

You don't have to drop the IRS Cage to replace the rear calipers.

Of course it won't be a 'walk in the park' but its not really that hard.

Providing the rear rotors are in good enough condition, this could be a stop gap measure, while you take your time (and money) to rebuild and recondition the other one that you say you can get hold of.

The one thing that I would say is don't just rely on axel stands, make sure its well supported on great big blocks of wood, with other fail safe things to back that up, as if She falls with you underneath 'its game over'

Also replace the rear Brake hose, as these are known to give problems when they close up on the inside through old age.

Or better still buy a reconditioned rear IRS or look around for a really good secondhand one.

Not the cheapest option but it all depends on your level of mechanical skill and whether or not you have the time and enthusiasm to tackle this job yourself.

If not then get the 'Plastic' out and get a garage/shop to do it for you.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:15 PM
Received 10,292 Likes on 6,811 Posts

I went with the s/h cradle way back.

I had too many cars with the rear ends needing doing, and a rebuit cradle swap is 3 hours tops.

The 2 you mention ARE be the same, EXCEPT.

Just have a gander at the '89 diff cover backing plate, as that is about when Jag put the speedo transducer in the diff instead of the transmission, so if your '89 got that sensor there, and the '88 has not, small brick wall.