XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Harrison/GM A6 or Sanden SD5102 AC Compressor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 09:14 AM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Harrison/GM A6 or Sanden SD5102 AC Compressor Replacement

My AC compressor ate itself, so need to replace it. It's the original A6 unit that never worked great in the two plus years I've had the car.

My understanding is I can install another A6, or a compatible Sanden SD510 unit (have found new and rebuilt of both).

Been told the Sanden is smaller, lighter, and more efficient, and the A6 is larger and heavier, but has greater cooling capacity. May have to change some hoses and fittings to fit the Sanden, but may have to refresh similar things with the A6 anyway.

Advice welcome.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

No direct experience. But I've heard only good things about the Sanden.

Also, aluminum A6 compressors are now available, brand new. Might merit some research? Besides being lighter they're supposed to be 'improved' performance (?)

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Jim Dunne (09-10-2019)
Old 03-26-2014, 06:18 PM

Here's what it looks like, all I can make out on the label is "Lewisville, Texas USA", so I'm guessing its a GM product.

Attached Thumbnails Harrison/GM A6 or Sanden SD5102 AC Compressor Replacement-20140326_175620.jpg  
Jim Dunne (09-10-2019)
Old 03-26-2014, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, looks like a trusty ol' Harrison A6. Darn good compressor, actually, but notoriously parasitic. The design goes back to the early 60s. GM started phasing them out in the late 70s.

Cheers
DD

Jim Dunne (09-10-2019)
Old 03-26-2014, 08:08 PM

Anyone have a ballpark parts and labor estimate to switch to a Sanden unit vs installing another A6? Suppose I could always ask my mechanic.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

Will using the Sanden require that new hoses be made? I'm inclined to think the answer would be 'yes'. If I'm right that would add a fair bit to the final bill.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-27-2014, 11:57 AM

My mechanic said he could install whichever I wanted, but the A6 was a quicker and easier job, which means less $.

Have decided to go with a rebuilt A6 from Jensen Auto (Jensen Auto Home) they've been around for a while, seem to know their stuff and get good reviews. Check out the videos in their eBay ads, shows their rebuild process.

Anyone have experience with them?

Old 03-27-2014, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I' replaced the GM unit before. The dealer wanted $400, I cross referenced the Jag part number to a std GM compressor for $150. A needed break of good luck!

Old 04-05-2015, 08:35 AM
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this is an old post but I figured I was reply anyhow. I just installed the new style a6 compressor on my 84 xjs yesterday and wow it is awesome, half the weight and smaller in diameter. I purchased from rock auto I will have to post some pics of the install. There are small differences where the hoses connect so I had to modify the cruise bellows bracket to make it fit but all I had to do is drill one hole to make it sit lower as the hose connection ports are slightly higher than the old compressor. Here is a link to it on rock auto https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...nid=429&jpid=1

The following 2 users liked this post by mr.fixit1:
Bc xj (04-05-2015), Doug (04-05-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 374 Posts

I just had mine and the dryer replaced last week. I will look and see what they fitted. Also had to have it changed to 134a which I've heard doesn't cool as much...will see.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:55 PM
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

I was looking at replacing my A6 with the aluminum version as well. I am curious what the mods looks like that you had to do.

-Scott
Originally Posted by mr.fixit1
I know this is an old post but I figured I was reply anyhow. I just installed the new style a6 compressor on my 84 xjs yesterday and wow it is awesome, half the weight and smaller in diameter. I purchased from rock auto I will have to post some pics of the install. There are small differences where the hoses connect so I had to modify the cruise bellows bracket to make it fit but all I had to do is drill one hole to make it sit lower as the hose connection ports are slightly higher than the old compressor. Here is a link to it on rock auto https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...nid=429&jpid=1

Old 04-05-2015, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by 86jag
I was looking at replacing my A6 with the aluminum version as well. I am curious what the mods looks like that you had to do.

-Scott
Well the only mod I really had to make was for the cruise control bellows mount, I wish I had taken a pic but all I had to do was drill a hole above and to the left of the stock hole so the bellows would sit in the stock location, otherwise it would not fit under the fuel rail. The other mod was just the mount for the high side bracket that normally bolts to the top hole in the compressor, I just bent it and then bolted a small piece of metal to it to extend it down, in the pic it is not there because I did it after I took the pic. As far as the mounts to the engine no mods are necessary. I also replaced the expansion valve and dryer and I charged it with this:R134a Replacement Refrigerant with Dye Can Details and Online Ordering at Enviro-Safe, Inc it works better than 134a for r12 cars and runs at lower presures too.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

To be frank, the A6 is a freaking tank. Get a new or rebuilt one and you will be fine.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
To be frank, the A6 is a freaking tank. Get a new or rebuilt one and you will be fine.
Yes they are very good and just about indestructible, I just wanted to try out the new ones since my old a6 was leaking from everywhere. I am keeping the original and will probably reseal it and save it just in case the new one doesn't hold up. It will still be no problem to pop it back on.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts

Yes they are very good and just about indestructible, I just wanted to try out the new ones since my old a6 was leaking from everywhere. I am keeping the original and will probably reseal it and save it just in case the new one doesn't hold up. It will still be no problem to pop it back on.
Be very careful with the replacement one. It says it has Teflon, that's the number one reason the Fx15 and FS10 ford compressors suffer the "Black Death". The Teflon melts when the compressor goes south and goes through the whole system. The other problem is if one piston goes south the rest keep churning and the Teflon gets through everything. If you hear anything unusual out of that new compressor, pull the plug on it and get it out of there. Hopefully she runs long and strong for you.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by JTsmks
Be very careful with the replacement one. It says it has Teflon, that's the number one reason the Fx15 and FS10 ford compressors suffer the "Black Death". The Teflon melts when the compressor goes south and goes through the whole system. The other problem is if one piston goes south the rest keep churning and the Teflon gets through everything. If you hear anything unusual out of that new compressor, pull the plug on it and get it out of there. Hopefully she runs long and strong for you.
Yep, I am familiar with that problem, I own a Mercury Marauder and the compressors on those are know for that problem. Luckily mine has never done it, but I think a lot of people will keep running the air conditioner even if the compressor sounds like an old sewing machine..lol

Old 04-13-2015, 09:03 PM
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Looks like the aluminum version is a different compressor with add-on adapter plates to make it work in the same spot as an A6. Looks good.

Many Thanks!!

-Scott

Well the only mod I really had to make was for the cruise control bellows mount, I wish I had taken a pic but all I had to do was drill a hole above and to the left of the stock hole so the bellows would sit in the stock location, otherwise it would not fit under the fuel rail. The other mod was just the mount for the high side bracket that normally bolts to the top hole in the compressor, I just bent it and then bolted a small piece of metal to it to extend it down, in the pic it is not there because I did it after I took the pic. As far as the mounts to the engine no mods are necessary. I also replaced the expansion valve and dryer and I charged it with this:R134a Replacement Refrigerant with Dye Can Details and Online Ordering at Enviro-Safe, Inc it works better than 134a for r12 cars and runs at lower presures too.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:37 PM
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm very curious about this, as I am also trying to charge up my AC system. Is this particular refrigerant a drop in replacement for R12? Are any parts (like upgraded O-Rings) needed other than the expansion valve and Dryer? Where did you get the valve?

Old 07-13-2015, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by Dymaxxion
I'm very curious about this, as I am also trying to charge up my AC system. Is this particular refrigerant a drop in replacement for R12? Are any parts (like upgraded O-Rings) needed other than the expansion valve and Dryer? Where did you get the valve?
There are no current "drop in" replacements for R12, people love throwing that claim around, especially refrigerant manufactures! Read 11 on the link.

http://www.epatest.com/faq/609/

Dymaxxion (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 07:43 PM
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JTsmks
There are no current "drop in" replacements for R12, people love throwing that claim around, especially refrigerant manufactures! Read 11 on the link.

EPA 609 Certification - FAQ
Bummer. What would it take to get R134a in my system? I've been looking all over the place but can't seem to find a straight answer. There is no refrigerant in my system currently. Something I'd like to remedy in this 90+ degree Oklahoma heat.