XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Help my $500 XJS v12 is crap

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 12:48 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Help my $500 XJS v12 is crap

After receiving my 89 xjs convertible for $500. I know many of you advised not to buy, but I couldnt resist. This is what I found. All fuel and coolant hoses cracked. Inside of my distributor is all corroded. A/C is siezed. Turns over but doesn't run. At this point is it cheaper to put in sm block chevy? Or do I put on carb set up. Found some carb manifolds for $200. Thought I could keep v12 if it had no fuel inj. I believe carbs would keep cost down.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Do a compression test to verify the condition of the engine. Then see if the coolant system holds pressure in an effort to get an idea if the block is cracked or not. AFAIK the top mounted carb will require a considerable amount of the hood to be clearanced and the short runners will not deliver the same torque as the stock manifolds. As for keeping costs down... decent low budget SBC swap will cost around 2500 unless you have stuff around to use...and repairing your v12....Who knows! Might be far less expensive to purchase another running car and now you have a parts car to work from or swap the engine from a running car to get the convertible back on the road. So you've got to do some more disnostics and reflection on the situation.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:54 PM
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I hate to say it but I don't see a cheap way out of this that you'd be happy with. If those systems you mentioned are that bad, chances are good that the rest of the systems are in disrepair as well. The ones that come to mind are the braking and suspension systems. After buying and installing new rotors, calipers, pads, brake hoses, front and rear suspension bushings and shocks, your project will not still be a cost effective one.

I hate to be a downer but this is the reality of the car. Take a real honest assessment of the car and make a level-headed decision. I know, it's a Jaguar. They're sexy cars with tons of character - and now it's yours!! This can skew your judgment... kind of like pretty girls that you know are no good for you!

If you still want to keep this car in the mix, you can always buy an XJS that has been well maintained and use your current car as a parts car.

Either way, good luck!

Old 05-19-2014, 03:01 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by FastKat
I hate to say it but I don't see a cheap way out of this that you'd be happy with. If those systems you mentioned are that bad, chances are good that the rest of the systems are in disrepair as well. The ones that come to mind are the braking and suspension systems. After buying and installing new rotors, calipers, pads, brake hoses, front and rear suspension bushings and shocks, your project will not still be a cost effective one.

I hate to be a downer but this is the reality of the car. Take a real honest assessment of the car and make a level-headed decision. I know, it's a Jaguar. They're sexy cars with tons of character - and now it's yours!! This can skew your judgment... kind of like pretty girls that you know are no good for you!

If you still want to keep this car in the mix, you can always buy an XJS that has been well maintained and use your current car as a parts car.

Either way, good luck!
You nailed it. A sexy girl your in love with that doesn't love you back and she's all mine.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:23 PM
Received 193 Likes on 108 Posts

Whatever you do, don't send it to the crusher! Parts for these cars are becoming harder and harder to find. You could EASILY get your $500 investment back by parting the car out on ebay or craigslist and help keep other xj-s's on the road at the same time.

However if you are determined to get her purring again, start by replacing all rubbers in the engine compartment then check for fuel, air, and spark. (And do that compression check too).

A $500 xj-s may not be worth all the money and work though and that's a decision to make sooner rather than thousands of dollars later.