XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Help Under the Hood

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 12:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help Under the Hood

This is embarrassing but I need some help. I popped the hood trying to check fluids and top them off since my '90 XJS began to ride pretty hot yesterday. I've driven the car 3x and had it for 2 weeks now.

1) hydraulic dampers/lift gates for the hood don't seem to hold. Is there a way to tighten them to hold the hood up or must I replace them? Went to Autozone and they run about $75 each.

2) couldn't check fluids because this engine bay has more tanks than I've seen on any other cars and i didn't want to top off the wrong tank. Can you guys help me identify what tank is for what. The only identifiable one was the window washer fluid.

3) any suggestions on what oil to use? Running on 115k miles.

Thanks.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

The hood gas struts have to be replaced. Common fault.

Fluids: Dipstick on passenger side (called 'A' bank of the V) at the windscreen end of the intake manifold = Auto transmission fluid.

Dipstick on the driver's side ('B' bank of the V) about half way along = engine oil

Brake fluid shoud be around the firewall somewhere near where the brake servo/abs stuff is (mine has no abs)

Power steering fluid is at front of the engine, B bank side, down below the thermostat to radiator water flexible pipe, has a drive belt going to the front of it. Cap has a little dipstick on the inside.

Water/coolant has two places to top up: cap in middle front of engine on an upright pipe, header tank on B bank side inner wing, again a radiator cap visible a bit behind the LHS headlight nacelle.

Oil is like women, everyone has a different favourite! FWIW, I always use fully synthetic, about 5w - 20 or 30, but it really does not matter too much IMO about whether it is 5w - something. As long as the oil is good quality and not so thick it takes ages to get round a cold engine.

Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 06-14-2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:00 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Can't remember where I saw it (maybe the "''Experience" book?), but I saw a tip about using large electrical lugs on the hood struts to hold the hood up. They're hook shaped and have a bolt in one side to tighten 2 large wires together. Hook it over the strut rod and when you open the hood, just slide it down and tighten the bolt (they say handtight is good, I might put a wrench to it and just tighten a little bit more....don't really want that hood coming down on me.)

Greg is in France. so I think the info he gave you is correct, but you are in LA, so your steering wheel is on the other side of the car. Sitting in the car, facing forward, your oil dipstick is on the left side, and your trans dipstick would be on the right. My oil dipstick is green on my '92, not sure if they used the same colors on yours.

howlinowl

Old 06-14-2012, 06:03 AM

oopps...sorry, just re-read Gregs post and he's correct. disregard my previous post about the dipsticks

howlinowl

Old 06-14-2012, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Originally Posted by howlinowl
Greg is in France. so I think the info he gave you is correct, but you are in LA, so your steering wheel is on the other side of the car. Sitting in the car, facing forward, your oil dipstick is on the left side, and your trans dipstick would be on the right. My oil dipstick is green on my '92, not sure if they used the same colors on yours.

howlinowl
I tried, anyway, to ensure my 'driver' and 'passenger' sides were correct for a LHD car!

Greg

Old 06-14-2012, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Don't forget the big tank in the back that needs filling frequently with 93 octane!

Old 06-14-2012, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
I tried, anyway, to ensure my 'driver' and 'passenger' sides were correct for a LHD car!

Greg
You got it right. I just saw "France" in your username, and saw "driver" and "passenger" sides in your post and assumed you were stating how things were on your car. My fault, I should be a bit more careful reading.

howlinowl

Old 06-14-2012, 08:39 AM

Found the site with the electrical hood strut prop fix. Took a little digging.

Jaguar XJ-S Hood Strut Fix

Not exactly a fix, per say, but if you're on a fixed budget (who isnt nowadays?) and don't want to throw a bejamine and a half at the struts because you have other more important things to throw it at, it is a workaround.

howlinowl

Old 06-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

It's been a few years....but doesn't Kirby's book provide some part numbers to low cost hood struts? I'm pretty sure that some Honda or Toyota struts/supports were found to be a good substitute.... and only $20 each or so.

Can't remember the specifics, though.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-14-2012, 10:44 AM

Thanks so much guys. I found some hood struts on ebay for $39/pair. Gotta love ebay!!!!

I'm going to go pop the hood again and hopefully I pour the right liquids in the right receptacles...although I may come back with some more questions...more stupid than before.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:46 AM

Can I use the 75-86 Hayne's manuel as a loose primer for finding basic things like this? I understand the the 80s models remained the same through 1991. I hate to keep posting basic questions like the ones above.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:18 PM

Hey Guys...I couldn't locate the dipstick for the tranny fluid. Here is my engine..
Name:  XJSV12ENGINEBAY.jpg
Views: 2706
Size:  62.9 KB

The following users liked this post:
Venus911 (08-13-2016)
Old 06-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

The big red one is oil fill!!! Don't put power steering fluid in there!!!

To find the power steering fluid, look at the red oil fill cap, then follow the side of the engine block down. The power steering pump is mounted at the bottom-front of the engine and the black cap is pretty much directly below the oil fill.

Jag hood struts $12 each from Rockauto, this is no mystery. Supposedly the Honda ones are also under $20 and they push the hood open further but I can't confirm. I've already got plenty of room unless I'm pulling the rad.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:46 PM

Trans fluid is located at the very back of the engine, within that mess of wires under the passenger's side cowl strut. Basically look on or almost on the firewall directly in front of the passenger.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:52 PM

One more - you mention starting to run hot. You WILL need to pull that radiator out, have it professionally cleaned, and clean all the gunk from between the rad and condenser. Fluid levels have nothing to do with that.

Now, I realize you are going to try EVERYTHING possible to avoid pulling the radiator and you are going to waste weeks of your time and probably a bunch of money only to arrive at the same end, which is the exact same end virtually every single other XJ-S owner has arrived at. Just pull the radiator now and get it done. The cleaning will cost about $100-$150 and you'll be back on the road in a week or two.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

You can get hood struts for a lot less than $75.00 each - shop around.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:56 PM

Turns out the radiator and reserve were bone dry. The car almost took a full bottle of coolant. Oil looked fine. Topped off the fluids in the afternoon and just turned on the car to see if the temp gauge moved north too quickly. What happened instead is as the car turned on I noticed a little white smoke jump out of the driver side of the hood. It was pretty quick and dissipated pretty quickly. There was a slight smell, but everything went away in less than a minute. I'm hoping this means i may have topped off the radiator and/or reserve too close to the top and the engine was just burning it off.

Is this realistic or am I being hopelessly optimistic. Any ideas?

On another note, I purchased the bonnet struts on ebay for $30/pair. Also picked up 10w-40 valvoline oil at the store (haven't poured it in yet).

Old 06-15-2012, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by JagVilly
I'm hoping this means i may have topped off the radiator and/or reserve too close to the top and the engine was just burning it off.

Is this realistic or am I being hopelessly optimistic. Any ideas?

Any spilled fluid will give a bit of smoke if it hits a hot exhaust manifold. I'd say you're OK.
Take 'er for a spin and re-check for any smoke.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-15-2012, 07:48 PM

I hate to be the pessimist here...

But you have to ask yourself "why?"

Why was the rad empty? Where did the coolant go? Lots of possibilities here, but if you're not seeing a green puddle on the ground, it either had to go into the crankcase oil or a cylinder via a cracked head / block, or bad head gasket.

White smoke in the engine bay is just spillage, no big deal. White smoke out the tailpipe, though, tells you exactly where that coolant went.

Change your oil ASAP - if you see any water / antifreeze floating on it in the pan when you drain it, you're in trouble.

If everything checks out and by some incredible miracle it really was "just low", make sure you properly bleed the coolant system.

Darel

Old 06-16-2012, 01:49 AM

No worries, Darel. I feel like a pessimist every time another light or switch doesn't work...lol. Then I come on here and you guys give me a small ray of hope.

I had your same thought about why so empty. The PO didn't really drive much (only left his garage maybe 5 times in 2 years. He has 6 other Jags and mine was the odd man out.

I'm not handy when it comes to oil changes and things like that. I've been lucky to own 2 Merecedes and 2 Audis the last 10 years so I've always taken them to the dealer for service. Wife and I are actually shopping for a 2012 Land Rover LR4 right now too.

Jiffy Lube here I come? Are you guys going to kick me for tailing the Jag to Jiffy lube?

Quick Reply: Help Under the Hood