XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Helping a friend sell their (formerly mine) XJS

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts
Default Helping a friend sell their (formerly mine) XJS

I sold my 88 XJS a few months ago to a friend and they've decided they need to part with a car since they have too many.
When I bought it it was signal red and needed a new paint job. We had to remove a bit of ruse and I decided to go black instead. He did a fantastic job and the only thing not painted was the engine bay. I also changed the wheels to the factory lattice later style, had them refinished perfectly, changed the headlamps to the one pice euro style, replaced all badging with the black and gold leapers and growlers, replaced all bulbs, even console with led, addd led footwell lighting, new stereo with Bluetooth, DVD iPod, single din unit, new later,bigger leather factory steering wheel, new wood dash, newer center double vent, the list goes on! It's a stellar car!!
I know it's not for the serious collector since its been so updated but she's having trouble selling.
Now, I paid 5500.00 for it and put well over 8500.00 in it. I never planned to sell so I didn't even try to get close to my cost in it. She paid 7000.00 for it. It's got less than 49000k on it and runs great.
She's trying to get 9850.00 for it but I've told her that's probably too much unless she can find someone that wants and realizes all the upgrades that have been done. I'm a little pissed she's trying to make a profit, (has had issues though since it was changed to black) but sorta blames me that it was repainted black, even though I TOLD her it effected the value when she bought it!
Ay suggestions on best way/place to list it? I'm about to tell her to f$@k off since she's now bad mouthing me just because she can't sell it fast!! I actually fought selling it to her in the first place but her husband wanted it since it looked SOOO amazing!!! Helping a friend sell their (formerly mine) XJS-image.jpg
Now, I know all my updates aren't for vintage collectors, but I wanted the car to be as modern as possible without looking too crazy. Most of what I did was simply update with factory later style parts, headlights, grille, wheels and such. I improved all the lighting to led and better bulbs, I even added the ski slope with cup holders. The interior looks showroom new!! Leather in flawless condition, if she'd sell it back for the price she paid me, I'd buy it back!! The engine is in immaculate condition, needs a little work on power steering leak but that's all!!
It'd be sold if she really just wanted to recoup her 7000 but she's trying to profit off my loss!!!

Last edited by philhef; 07-18-2013 at 06:36 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:20 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

This never fails.

Your ideas are YOUR ideas, and that is the end of the story.

I have NEVER sold one of mine to an aquaintence, it is like money and friends, it simply dont mix.

I would walk away, and that will possibly get nasty, but all parties will get over it, some faster, and better, than others.

XJ-S's down here are the slowest selling cars on the system, and that is fact. The other thing, you did mention it, is that most of the prospective buyers are looking for an un-molested car, and that is hard today, just coz it is, so they will beat down any seller, again, coz they can.

No matter where it is listed, it will sell, eventually, but a quickie sale with an XJ-S, I dont think so.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
This never fails.

Your ideas are YOUR ideas, and that is the end of the story.

I have NEVER sold one of mine to an aquaintence, it is like money and friends, it simply dont mix.

I would walk away, and that will possibly get nasty, but all parties will get over it, some faster, and better, than others.

XJ-S's down here are the slowest selling cars on the system, and that is fact. The other thing, you did mention it, is that most of the prospective buyers are looking for an un-molested car, and that is hard today, just coz it is, so they will beat down any seller, again, coz they can.

No matter where it is listed, it will sell, eventually, but a quickie sale with an XJ-S, I dont think so.
I agree totally! I told her all of this when she bought it. Even how it drinks gas like water!!
Also, I found these cars sell better in fall than dead of summer. She purchased impulsively and I begged her to take time and really think about it. And if she's really just wanting out from under it, then put 7000.00 and take it. She actually had an offer of 7250.00 but refused so I really don't have much sympathy at this point.
Like I said, this car will sell to someone that doesn't care about original factory condition, but wants a really cool, updated car. I can't feel sorry for her since she's trying to make $$$$ off my loss.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member

Oh, and let me add we're really not good of friends. Old high school friends.
She actually bought my 2006 xj from the dealer I traded it at for my XF. That's how we reconnected after all those years. I saw her it at a Starbucks driving my traded XJ and we started talking about it.

My body shop that painted it said he could sell for 7000.00 right now! She said
"NO!" And she's put no $ in it since purchased.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:46 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Supply and demand - end of story Whats your problem if she can sell without a loss -

Old 07-18-2013, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

There is a beautiful low mileage 96 facelift listed on Craigslist here. Only problem is he has big aftermarket chrome rims in it. It's only got like 40k miles. He started listing at 12k dollars about a year ago. Now his ad reads """6,000 dollars OBO, I do not have the original rims""

That however is not your/your friends car. I remember you from a while back. I do not think that any of the upgrades you did will decrease the value of the car. Everything you did makes it look 100 percent original. People who don't know, just won't realize it and people who do know will appreciate that you used later XJS parts to upgrade. The upgrades will also, however not increase the value. Unless its got a "paint" issue. What's the problem it's had since going over to black?

Sorry , but your lady friend sounds like a nightmare and a trainwreck. I would not get involved in any way. The day she gave you the 7k that became her car. Unless she wants to offer you the car or unless she wants to pay you to be her sales broker then she has no business contacting you about the car in any way. I know there is a connection to the cat because she was yours, but unless you put a stop to your friend, she will only get worse.

Last edited by Spikepaga; 07-18-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts

I agree with the others, not your problem, walk away. She wouldn't get close to $9,850 even if you had painted it the original color.

But to answer your question: in my humble opinion her best option for getting the best price on a sale is ebay, with a lot of high quality photos and a strong sales pitch on the positive upgrades to the car. I'm amazed at the poor quality of some of the ads for cars for sale, with photos taken from 30 yards away.

If she turns a profit on reselling an XJS, contact the Guinness book, they may have room for a new entry.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Oh man, it was just the other day that you posted your mods! I like your car, not in the market though. Agree 100% with what others have already said.

What's your next project?

Old 07-18-2013, 06:29 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

No chance she'd even get $8k.

If I was her, I'd sell that car right back to you. Even Steven.

I guarantee you she will lose money on this deal. She'll end up being he victim of some scam in hopes of landing a profit on this car.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

I've seen a BEAUTIFUL V-12 Coupe sell for $1500 here locally at my friends garage and several others go in the low 3K to 4K range TOPS. The $1500 one was originally asking $4K but settled on the lower amount. Most people are SCARED of these cars and the V-12 lurking under the hood. Most mechanics haven't a clue therefore all the V-8 transplants and anyone who would even want one would be instantly turned off when they pop the bonnet and see the red glaring at them in the engine bay (I assume the boot as well?) Tell her to have fun, pack sand and distance yourself. Sorry to be so blunt.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member

Well, I've decided to let it be her problem. A mutual friend informed me she intends to hound me until I buy it back. I had people wanting this car the entire time I had it. As I said, I made her totally aware of every thing I did, I told her to take a few days to think about it and gave her two chances to re think it. If she were asking what she paid I'd feel more empathy for her, she was offered 7250!!!! 250 more than she paid. But she is sticking to 10,000.00.
So at this point, I'm Removing myself from the equation.
She's a slum lord and let's her tenants live in really bad situations to the point some of them do repairs on her properties. No scruples.
I've bought cars myself that were mistakes but made the best of them and when necessary, took a loss.
As for the paint job, it was a bare metal job and two small rust issues repaired with new metal. It looks showroom new!! And it was owned by a NASCAR mechanic that totally brought the engine back to almost new condition so that's another plus.
At the end of the day, it will sell to someone that wants a fierce car in great updated condition, modern amenities, and sexy as hell!! But not for 10,000.00

Old 07-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
I sold my 88 XJS a few months ago to a friend and they've decided they need to part with a car since they have too many.
When I bought it it was signal red and needed a new paint job. We had to remove a bit of ruse and I decided to go black instead. He did a fantastic job and the only thing not painted was the engine bay. I also changed the wheels to the factory lattice later style, had them refinished perfectly, changed the headlamps to the one pice euro style, replaced all badging with the black and gold leapers and growlers, replaced all bulbs, even console with led, addd led footwell lighting, new stereo with Bluetooth, DVD iPod, single din unit, new later,bigger leather factory steering wheel, new wood dash, newer center double vent, the list goes on! It's a stellar car!!
I know it's not for the serious collector since its been so updated but she's having trouble selling.
Now, I paid 5500.00 for it and put well over 8500.00 in it. I never planned to sell so I didn't even try to get close to my cost in it. She paid 7000.00 for it. It's got less than 49000k on it and runs great.
She's trying to get 9850.00 for it but I've told her that's probably too much unless she can find someone that wants and realizes all the upgrades that have been done. I'm a little pissed she's trying to make a profit, (has had issues though since it was changed to black) but sorta blames me that it was repainted black, even though I TOLD her it effected the value when she bought it!
Ay suggestions on best way/place to list it? I'm about to tell her to f$@k off since she's now bad mouthing me just because she can't sell it fast!! I actually fought selling it to her in the first place but her husband wanted it since it looked SOOO amazing!!! Attachment 48560
Now, I know all my updates aren't for vintage collectors, but I wanted the car to be as modern as possible without looking too crazy. Most of what I did was simply update with factory later style parts, headlights, grille, wheels and such. I improved all the lighting to led and better bulbs, I even added the ski slope with cup holders. The interior looks showroom new!! Leather in flawless condition, if she'd sell it back for the price she paid me, I'd buy it back!! The engine is in immaculate condition, needs a little work on power steering leak but that's all!!
It'd be sold if she really just wanted to recoup her 7000 but she's trying to profit off my loss!!!

Very nice car!