XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Hi all. Might be new owner soon. What do ya think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 597 Likes on 382 Posts
Default Hi all. Might be new owner soon. What do ya think?

Hi all.

If you've read my new member post I will continue here.

So I've had an extra motorcycle sitting for a few months and I decided to trade it for anything about same value. Figured I would get something and be able to flip it or sell it since selling a motorcycle can be a pain.

So looking a found a jaguar xjs. Never seen one before and fell in love with the styling. Then showed the wife and she liked it to which helps lol. Unfortunately that one I couldnt get but then came across another one. This one was still a 1988 but with the v12. I will attach pics etc. I have lots as it is 3 hrs away and the owner sent me pics of everything like the door james and all that jazz.

The story behind it. So it's a black 1988 XJS V12. It has 95k km on the it. Was never winter driven. (Canada dont forget) it has been sitting for 4 years. The womans father owned it since 2009. He had a stroke 4 years ago and it's been sitting at their farm property since. They put it on a trailer about a year ago.

It hasnt run in at least a few years. She wasn't sure if it was running when they put it on the trailer. Which is fine. I am not in a rush to get it road worthy. I am mechanically able to do most work myself. From all the pics I have received its dirty on the outside but it looks very clean including the engine bay. Only rust I have seen was on the trunk lid on the very back where the emblems are. 2 spots. I found someone locally that has almost a complete car for parts minus the v12. Everything else is just dirty. All the door james truck james etc have no signs of rust. There is a big scratch on the door due to someone cutting a tree that was close and hit it. So it would need a respray down the road. Interior is worn but no cracks or rips.

I want to make it into a date night care for me and the wife. Also something I can tinker with over the winter month. My main goal is to get it running and road worthy. Body work can come last.

So when I tow it home first think is try to revive the battery. If I cant do that then get a battery (used for now just to get some power going) then go from there with fluid changes etc. So unless something comes up in the next week I will be getting it soon and then expect a.million questions lol.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

I'm also going to document everything as this would be my first project in 20 years. Last was a 1982 Camaro when I was 19 lol.

Cheers

Cory

The following 2 users liked this post by Rescue119:
anyoldiron (10-07-2019), Mkii250 (10-09-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,802 Likes on 7,120 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue119
I am mechanically able to do most work myself.

These are great project cars for DIYers and, IMO, well worth the effort. But there's a lot to learn. Lots of tricks and quirks. For many, that's part of the fun. And just about every possible failure on these cars has a documented cause and fix. Great internet support; parts are generally reasonable. And a well-sorted XJS is a dream to drive.

You're obviously OK with a project car so I won't hit this too hard but I have to say what you probably already know: I can virtually promise you'll end up spending more on this car that it would cost to buy a running example in good shape.

There. Done.

So it would need a respray down the road.
Hopefully your DIY skills extend to body and paint work. Otherwise a decent repaint is thousands of dollars.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
jag-reflex (10-07-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
These are great project cars for DIYers and, IMO, well worth the effort. But there's a lot to learn. Lots of tricks and quirks. For many, that's part of the fun. And just about every possible failure on these cars has a documented cause and fix. Great internet support; parts are generally reasonable. And a well-sorted XJS is a dream to drive.

You're obviously OK with a project car so I won't hit this too hard but I have to say what you probably already know: I can virtually promise you'll end up spending more on this car that it would cost to buy a running example in good shape.

There. Done.

Hopefully your DIY skills extend to body and paint work. Otherwise a decent repaint is thousands of dollars.

Cheers
DD
I hate body work but it's not that I cant do it it's because I'm OCD about it. Might just repair and then wrap it. But that's a winter of 2020 thing lol.

I've read the stickys here. That how to start a v12 is a good read

Old 10-06-2019, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

"What could go wrong?' I'm glad you like to tinker, I predict that you'll soon get your fill! Seriously, these are fantastic cars and if nothing else they make the inside of your garage look fabulous! They are challenging for the DIYer so you have to maintain your positive attitude, sense of humor, and be able to walk away for a while when necessary. Mine was bought very cheap, but I wish that I would have bought a good running example so that I could have built up a relationship with the car before the serious wrenching started. These forums are a tremendously valuable resource so take advantage of the collective knowledge here! Good luck whatever you decide.

Last edited by Rivguy; 10-06-2019 at 03:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-06-2019, 04:57 PM
Received 227 Likes on 147 Posts

Hello Cory

I personally find the cars in the above condition more appealing over the other cosmetically cleaned up ones, as there are no false promises, no expectations, nothing has been hidden, you know that it is going to take work, and you get the satisfaction as you tick off the "to do" list.

My first thing would be to clean her up (wash and polish inside and out) and do the rust search. If the rust is manageable, go from there

Welcome to the forum and keep the photo's coming

Cheers
Steve

The following 2 users liked this post by Bez74:
anyoldiron (10-07-2019), Spikepaga (10-07-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 06:25 PM
Received 303 Likes on 200 Posts

I hope that car is cheap. Like $1000 cheap. Despite car dealers and BringaTrailer listing and selling nice XJSs for $15000, a very nice XJS is still $5000 on Craigslist if you look hard and long enough. That makes this car you’re looking at $2500 or less... a lot less if nobody else is biting. A tired XJS is a tough sell so you should walk away and make a lowball offer the next day.

Old 10-06-2019, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagsandmgs
I hope that car is cheap. Like $1000 cheap. Despite car dealers and BringaTrailer listing and selling nice XJSs for $15000, a very nice XJS is still $5000 on Craigslist if you look hard and long enough. That makes this car you’re looking at $2500 or less... a lot less if nobody else is biting. A tired XJS is a tough sell so you should walk away and make a lowball offer the next day.
Well around here (Canada) decent running one goes for 5 to 8k. And they would have about 150k to 200k km on them. One with less than 100k km on it and very good shape fetch 10k plus. They orginally wanted 4k and my bike is only worth 2k so I'm ok with that lol. Theres only a handful around for sale.

Old 10-06-2019, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bez74
Hello Cory

I personally find the cars in the above condition more appealing over the other cosmetically cleaned up ones, as there are no false promises, no expectations, nothing has been hidden, you know that it is going to take work, and you get the satisfaction as you tick off the "to do" list.

My first thing would be to clean her up (wash and polish inside and out) and do the rust search. If the rust is manageable, go from there

Welcome to the forum and keep the photo's coming

Cheers
Steve
That's the plan. Cant wait for the after pics. I'm also want to start showing my 10 year old step son how to work on cars. And if he likes it maybe and six years it will be his.

Bez74 (10-06-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 12:27 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

No such thing as "an extra motorcycle", they are all worth keeping. But if moving one gets you into an XJS I say go for it.
I just got one and there is not a better looking car you could stick in your shed. I have no illusions, I know it will be handfull but that is what classic vehicles are all about.

Last edited by o1xjr; 10-07-2019 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:47 AM
Received 360 Likes on 213 Posts

Welcome - look forward to the updates.
I am also a tinker and have enjoyed what I have done so far.

This is a great site..... so you will not get stuck trying to find info.
Keep the pictures coming!

Old 10-07-2019, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by o1xjr
No such thing as "an extra motorcycle", they are all worth keeping. But if moving one gets you into an XJS I say go for it.
I just got one and there is not a better looking car you could stick in your shed. I have no illusions, I know it will be handfull but that is what classic vehicles are all about.
Maybe different style of bikes lol. I went from a 2003 Kawasaki ZR7S 750 to a 2007 Honda VFR 800 VTec Interceptor 25th anniversary edition. Both sport touring. If I do get another style of bike it would be a ADV one.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rescue119:
Flint Ironstag (10-08-2019), o1xjr (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 12:24 PM
Banned
Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagsandmgs

Supply and demand, you are in another country.
Tired old XJSs have not been a tough sell in Western Canada recently. lts not easy to find ANY kind of XJS for sub $3k, Currently there are none i think, there are a few sub 5k ones. A couple on Van island one nice candidate for resuscitation, and someone on drugs in the Prairies.

OP, Give them the Kawa, the Hondas always a easier sell Good luck with your project. l have found the level of knowledge and the speed and good will in which its shared here is unparalleled on any other forum, my varied addiction takes me. lf you have the will (and wallet) theres a way to be found on here.

Cheers

Last edited by anyoldiron; 10-07-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:38 PM
Banned
Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

Hi all.

If you've read my new member post I will continue here.

So I've had an extra motorcycle sitting for a few months and I decided to trade it for anything about same value. Figured I would get something and be able to flip it or sell it since selling a motorcycle can be a pain.

So looking a found a jaguar xjs. Never seen one before and fell in love with the styling. Then showed the wife and she liked it to which helps lol. Unfortunately that one I couldnt get but then came across another one. This one was still a 1988 but with the v12. I will attach pics etc. I have lots as it is 3 hrs away and the owner sent me pics of everything like the door james and all that jazz.

The story behind it. So it's a black 1988 XJS V12. It has 95k km on the it. Was never winter driven. (Canada dont forget) it has been sitting for 4 years. The womans father owned it since 2009. He had a stroke 4 years ago and it's been sitting at their farm property since. They put it on a trailer about a year ago.

It hasnt run in at least a few years. She wasn't sure if it was running when they put it on the trailer. Which is fine. I am not in a rush to get it road worthy. I am mechanically able to do most work myself. From all the pics I have received its dirty on the outside but it looks very clean including the engine bay. Only rust I have seen was on the trunk lid on the very back where the emblems are. 2 spots. I found someone locally that has almost a complete car for parts minus the v12. Everything else is just dirty. All the door james truck james etc have no signs of rust. There is a big scratch on the door due to someone cutting a tree that was close and hit it. So it would need a respray down the road. Interior is worn but no cracks or rips.

I want to make it into a date night care for me and the wife. Also something I can tinker with over the winter month. My main goal is to get it running and road worthy. Body work can come last.

So when I tow it home first think is try to revive the battery. If I cant do that then get a battery (used for now just to get some power going) then go from there with fluid changes etc. So unless something comes up in the next week I will be getting it soon and then expect a.million questions lol.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

I'm also going to document everything as this would be my first project in 20 years. Last was a 1982 Camaro when I was 19 lol.

Cheers

Cory

Do it.........................you know you want to.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Does anyone know when changes were made in 88? I ha e the vin and I think it's an early 88. I didnt notice those auto seat belts...remind me of saturns lol.....and I've read they changed something with the electrical in mid 88? 4 more days. Unless my buddy bails on me with his truck lol.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,802 Likes on 7,120 Posts

Does anyone know when changes were made in 88? I ha e the vin and I think it's an early 88. I didnt notice those auto seat belts...remind me of saturns lol.....and I've read they changed something with the electrical in mid 88? 4 more days. Unless my buddy bails on me with his truck lol.
Depends on the market. For the USA market, the 1988 model year began very early. As I recall the beginning VIN was 139051. My '88 was built in Feb 1987 but carried a 1988 VIN identifier. In other markets XJSs of this time period would be called 1987 or 1987½.

The motorized belts came along a little latter, at VIN 140xxx or 141xxx or something like that. The differential mounted speedo sensor was a bit later still at VIN 142xxx or so. My '88 had neither....but it had most of the other 1988 'new features'. The electrical change that stands out in my mind is the use of modern plastic fuses to replace the old glass type. There were lots of other electrical changes pertaining to new or different equipment (heated seats, for one example).

Cheers
DD

Old 10-09-2019, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Depends on the market. For the USA market, the 1988 model year began very early. As I recall the beginning VIN was 139051. My '88 was built in Feb 1987 but carried a 1988 VIN identifier. In other markets XJSs of this time period would be called 1987 or 1987½.

The motorized belts came along a little latter, at VIN 140xxx or 141xxx or something like that. The differential mounted speedo sensor was a bit later still at VIN 142xxx or so. My '88 had neither....but it had most of the other 1988 'new features'. The electrical change that stands out in my mind is the use of modern plastic fuses to replace the old glass type. There were lots of other electrical changes pertaining to new or different equipment (heated seats, for one example).

Cheers
DD
Well this one is an 88 and series number 150030. It does have the heat seats and lumbar on it. Guess I'll find out saturday what it has for seat belts. I know it doesnt have air bags lol

Thanks for the reply

Old 10-09-2019, 07:02 AM
Received 360 Likes on 213 Posts

Mine is build number 156137 which is 1989 so the 10th letter K tells me if I am correct.
So it will be interesting to see the difference.
mine is a Lucas....

Old 10-09-2019, 10:46 AM
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I think Doug's VIN ranges are close. my '88 xjsc is 140160, and has seat heaters, lumbar, and automatic belts.

Old 10-09-2019, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

Do u think there was a difference between US and Canada models besides emissions crap and heated mirrors lol. I'm surprised my 88 has the lattice rims and not the 5 spoke. I actually like the lattice rims better

Old 10-09-2019, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,039 Posts

As far as I know, the motorized seatbelts were USA market only. I've never seen a Canadian car with them. Starting in 1988 USA and Canadian emissions regulations were harmonized, so you might see an air pump on an 88, but not on an 87.

Personally, I would pick a car with excellent cosmetics and poor mechanical, vs the other way around. Mechanical can be solved reasonably inexpensively compared to doing paint or an interior. Both of those are very expensive to do properly, particularly the interior because may trim pieces are no longer available. Also look closely for rust, that hole in the trunk lid is odd, I've not seen therm rust there frequently. Look under the car and poke and prod to see how much rust there is. That can be very expensive to repair properly.

jag-reflex (10-09-2019)

Quick Reply: Hi all. Might be new owner soon. What do ya think?