XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

How to: cruise control cable replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Default How to: cruise control cable replacement

Hi there!

After redoing the cruise control actuator bellows last week, I needed to replace my actuator cable (the linkage between actuator and gas pedal lever) after it started to spliss out...

Unfortunately, there are no new ones available (which would have been my first choice) but since the RHD models seem to lack a few parts, I made my own.

First, I purchased a Shimano shift cable (Shimano number 7843) and waited for it's delivery A day later (cheers Amazon!) I removed the old cable... To do so, I found it a tad easier to remove the gaspedal assembly (3 cross headed screws) and simply then tug the entire wire through the "piping".

I then needed to scavange the link between cable and pedal (a kind of con-rod shaped piece). Clamp it in the vice and simply yank the cable out.

Remove the "clamped" end of the Shimano cable with a pair of sidecutters (some sharp ones!) and then twist it into the opening (it isn't a tight fit but more so snug) and then crimp/clamp it sealed. I also added some solder just to make sure it stays in position

Okay, then simply pull out the cable quide in the bulk head, thread the thin end through the tubing to the actuator and poke the crimped end though the bulkhead into the driver's footwell. Attatch to the throttle linkage, make sure there are no twists etc., and tighten it all up (that footwell is so tight, I got a cramp in all areas of my body! *ouch*).

As the new bellows are rather "stiff", adjust cruise actuator linkage (the little metal pipe with screw in one end), open throttle to 100% and push actuator in, with wire tightend. It should then (if you crimped and soldered right) stay open when you let go of the throttle linkage. Let off and if the linkage doesn't close instantly, don't worry, let it sit for a day or two so the bellows get a bit softer and it should work like new...

Here a few pictures...

Have fun and good luck!

Damien

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (07-06-2014)
Old 07-05-2014, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Good work !

Cheers
DD