XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

How do the Headlight Wipers Work? XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts
Default How do the Headlight Wipers Work? XJS V12

How do the Headlight Wipers work on an XJS V12?

Do they come on automatically when you turn the Windscreen Wipers on?

Or do they only come on for a very short time when using the Windscreen Washer?

Old 04-30-2015, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

OB
There are two screen washer pumps. The second is so wired that it activates only when the headlights are on. When they are on, pressing the column screenwash button activates both the screen and the headlight washer pumps, and also starts the wiper motor attached to each headlight wiper arm.

The washer jets for the headlights are TINY and they are clipped onto the headlight washer arm and connected to the tube from the washer reservoir by fairly tiny black tubes. These fracture/give up, so once the pump and motors are working OK, you might have to hunt down breaks or blockages in the tubes between the reservoir and the arm jets, or even have to unblock the arm jets.

One of my sadnesses at having to fit the four headlight conversion in order to get RH dipping was that i had to remove mine. They actually are very effective when working properly.

Greg

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
OB
There are two screen washer pumps. The second is so wired that it activates only when the headlights are on. When they are on, pressing the column screenwash button activates both the screen and the headlight washer pumps, and also starts the wiper motor attached to each headlight wiper arm.

The washer jets for the headlights are TINY and they are clipped onto the headlight washer arm and connected to the tube from the washer reservoir by fairly tiny black tubes. These fracture/give up, so once the pump and motors are working OK, you might have to hunt down breaks or blockages in the tubes between the reservoir and the arm jets, or even have to unblock the arm jets.

One of my sadnesses at having to fit the four headlight conversion in order to get RH dipping was that i had to remove mine. They actually are very effective when working properly.

Greg
Hi Greg

Thanks, I never knew any of that, so before I pull the Wiper Arms off, I'll have a look and see what parts are working.

And in the event it all still works 'Splash Out' (no pun intended) for some new Wiper Blades.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Greg

Thanks, I never knew any of that, so before I pull the Wiper Arms off, I'll have a look and see what parts are working.

And in the event it all still works 'Splash Out' (no pun intended) for some new Wiper Blades.
OB
The arms are on fine splines. Do not just pull them as you can wreck the parts of the motor that the splined shaft is attached to. Undo the nuts on the end of the shafts, get a pair of decent pliers and place one jaw on the end of the splines shaft and the other under the arm where it goes round the shaft, and squeeze. That way the spline has no 'pull' on it. The arm will just pop off.

Greg

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (05-01-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
OB
The arms are on fine splines. Do not just pull them as you can wreck the parts of the motor that the splined shaft is attached to. Undo the nuts on the end of the shafts, get a pair of decent pliers and place one jaw on the end of the splines shaft and the other under the arm where it goes round the shaft, and squeeze. That way the spline has no 'pull' on it. The arm will just pop off.

Greg
Hi Greg

Thanks but although I haven't Tested it yet, everything looks all up and together apart from the need for New Blades.

So I will try and get it all working again like it should be.