XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

How great to see a XJS out being driven

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 08:49 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts
Default How great to see a XJS out being driven

It is so rare any more seeing another XJS out being driven. I spotted one the other day in traffic about 1/2 mile ahead of me and I knew it was a XJS coupe. I followed it as long as I could and it looked like the top edge of the roof was no more then three foot off the payment.

Makes me wish I could follow mine around for a few hours just to see how cool it looks from different distances. Thank you William Lyons for creating some of the best looking cars ever.

Whenever I see another XJS out being driven I swear I have to pinch myself to remind me how lucky I am to have one. I just wish I could see more out being driven.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I've recently rediscovered what a gem of a vehicle this is. It is so quiet and so smooth, and with the top down, stress just evaporates. I've been driving it everywhere lately, and in parking lots, or even at traffic lights, people just stare. I used to see a few around, but now I am the only one.

I now want another convertible and coupe. Goodness, they are certainly cheap enough...lucky to have such a mobile piece of art.

Last edited by Brg XJS; 11-09-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS'
Thank you William Lyons for creating some of the best looking cars ever

Indeed! And thank you Malcolm Sayer for designing the E-type and XJS and to Geoff Lawson and Keith Helfet for keeping that design legacy alive as long as they could in the form of the XK8 and X300. No shout outs to ian Callum and his pack of ugly Jaguar abortions

Old 11-09-2014, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

it really is a treat! I don't think much of it because it is my daily driver and it has its issues, but I get a good number of stares most of the time. I have seen 2 others in traffic here and never while I was in my car. I love the XJS from the back, its really nice to watch them go. There is a gorgeous white H&E with a blue top here that I have seen twice.

Only time I have seen an older car around while I was in my own was an E type, but she was driving the car pretty..umm..enthusiastically, and I got caught at too many lights to catch up with her.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 374 Posts

I saw mine driving around Lake Mary in Fl. a few weeks ago....Until I realized mine was still at home !! Apart from the headlights, it was mines twin..... Damm good looking car.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dirty Cat

Have seen only 1 XJS in my area. Looked like a '94. Was so dirty and ragged I could tell much about it. Was a brown ragtop that appeared to be unappreciated. Was a sad sight that caused my heart to skip.

I see a lot of newer sedans. However, they are not to my liking.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

I only ever see converts driving around. My 89 coupé is the only coupé I've seen here in Germany since 1997! And that is a long time!

Old 11-09-2014, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

me and wife out for ice cream, and a burger, she riding shot gun left hand side.

Attached Thumbnails How great to see a XJS out being driven-jag-strut-brace-mom-ridin-shot-gun-v12-exhuast-mani-013.jpg   How great to see a XJS out being driven-jag-strut-brace-mom-ridin-shot-gun-v12-exhuast-mani-012.jpg  
Old 11-09-2014, 09:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is a DD and I get looks, thumbs up, waves and pointers every day .

Old 11-10-2014, 12:48 AM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 93blkcat
Mine is a DD and I get looks, thumbs up, waves and pointers every day .
I think that's half the reason I pick the vehicles that I do!

The Jag hasn't gotten too many compliments yet, but my motorcycle turns heads and drops jaws just about everywhere I go.

I have yet to see another XJS in traffic, but maybe it's because I really haven't been looking. Used to see the occasional Mark VII though, and aside from one particularly ugly specimen with aftermarket rims, a body kit (for some reason,) and a spoiler that didn't quite match the car, they've all been driven by fellow enthusiasts. We'd exchange thumbs up, maybe a few words at a stoplight, but it still felt like we had some kind of unspoken bond.

Or maybe I'm just a geek.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Stargazer XJS
I think that's half the reason I pick the vehicles that I do!

The Jag hasn't gotten too many compliments yet, but my motorcycle turns heads and drops jaws just about everywhere I go.
What do you ride ? I have a '10 fat bob lowered 1 1/2" in the rear with a 2" tank lift nearly all blacked out

I have yet to see another XJS in traffic, but maybe it's because I really haven't been looking. Used to see the occasional Mark VII though, and aside from one particularly ugly specimen with aftermarket rims, a body kit (for some reason,) and a spoiler that didn't quite match the car, they've all been driven by fellow enthusiasts. We'd exchange thumbs up, maybe a few words at a stoplight, but it still felt like we had some kind of unspoken bond.
I agree I had a 93 Jeep YJ ( wrangler ) for a long time that was one of my favorite things about driving it the " Jeep wave"

Or maybe I'm just a geek.
No one said that was a bad thing !

Old 11-10-2014, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by 93blkcat
What do you ride ? I have a '10 fat bob lowered 1 1/2" in the rear with a 2" tank lift nearly all blacked out
2012 Royal Enfield C5 in red. She's got classic post-war curves, and just the right amount of chrome. A very vocal minority of my friends scoff at the 500cc single, but the thump of Her Majesty's Thunder is one of the most satisfying sounds I've ever heard.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:46 AM

Very nice my 17 year old daughter is wanting to get her m endorsement I've looked at the R E's for her first bike

Old 11-10-2014, 12:57 PM

Highly recommended. If you go new, the price is excellent, the warranty is amazing, and after the run-in period, the bike is really quite reliable. Some parts can be a bit difficult to find (the recommended replacement for the exhaust gasket is actually a copper crush gasket for the oiling system of a radial piston aircraft engine - readily available online or at small local airports) but accessories, maintenance, and even performance items aren't too hard to come by. Nfieldgear is the main US distributor, and Hitchcock's has been around for awhile, catering to both Redditch and Indian REs. I could go on, but for the integrity of the thread, I'll reluctantly step away from the keyboard.

The following users liked this post:
93blkcat (11-10-2014)