XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

How many Seconds does it take for your ABS Light to go out?

Old 05-23-2017, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts
Default How many Seconds does it take for your ABS Light to go out?

How many Seconds does it take from Turning on the Ignition for your ABS Light to go out?

I'm sure this Varies quite a lot but wanted to try and arrive at an Average Time.

If I haven't used my Grey XJS for a couple of days it can take around 27 Seconds, then if I use her the following day it only takes 17 Seconds.

But having just fitted 'Cherry Blossom' my Red XJS with a Master Cylinder Actuator that I bought on Sunday at an Auto Jumble.

It takes 27 Seconds every time (even if She has been recently started)

Everything to do with the Brakes apart from the Rotors is New, except of course for the Master Cylinder Actuator (Which I've just fitted as already mentioned)

After which I've Bled the Brakes and got a nice hard Pedal and have been driving her round and round the Garden.

While I feel that 27 Seconds is a bit too long, it will probably take some time for everything to bed in.

Although I'll probably Bleed the Brakes a few times to get every last drop of Air out before I take her for an MOT.

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (05-24-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 05:01 PM
Received 169 Likes on 133 Posts

I think that there is a bulletin recommending that the switch be replaced anytime the accumulator is replaced.

I have the same trouble with the light taking a long time to go out.

orangeblossom (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Mike

I haven't replaced the Accumulator, Which is the Black Ball on top of the Brake Pump.

I've only replaced the Master Cylinder Actuator.

What is this Switch you are talking about? I don't understand what you mean.

If the Accumulator needed replacing, then I would have to stand on the Brakes to Stop her.

The Brakes feel perfectly normal but the ABS light takes longer to go out on my red XJS than on my grey XJS.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

darn ,i dont have an ABS light.

orangeblossom (05-24-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
How many Seconds does it take from Turning on the Ignition for your ABS Light to go out?

I'm sure this Varies quite a lot but wanted to try and arrive at an Average Time.

If I haven't used my Grey XJS for a couple of days it can take around 27 Seconds, then if I use her the following day it only takes 17 Seconds.

But having just fitted 'Cherry Blossom' my Red XJS with a Master Cylinder Actuator that I bought on Sunday at an Auto Jumble.

It takes 27 Seconds every time (even if She has been recently started)

Everything to do with the Brakes apart from the Rotors is New, except of course for the Master Cylinder Actuator (Which I've just fitted as already mentioned)

After which I've Bled the Brakes and got a nice hard Pedal and have been driving her round and round the Garden.

While I feel that 27 Seconds is a bit too long, it will probably take some time for everything to bed in.

Although I'll probably Bleed the Brakes a few times to get every last drop of Air out before I take her for an MOT.
Probably just an ageing accumulator. Is the pump running while the light is on?
If it is and light goes out when pump stops it's just taking longer to come up to full pressure as the accumulator's stored pressure slowly drops off over the years.
Not going to be a problem yet unless you are using the brakes way too often, but as the accumulator's workload drops off the pump has to take up the slack. Keep an eye on it and note how many brake applications you are getting before the pump cycles.

The following 2 users liked this post by baxtor:
Greg in France (05-24-2017), orangeblossom (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Baxtor

That is very interesting!

Here is what happens:

I turn on the ignition and start timing how long it takes for the ABS light to go out, which seems to be about 27 Seconds.

But After the ABS Light goes out, the Brake Pump continues to run for another 30 Seconds before it cuts out.

While driving her round the Garden, if I Brake Gently all is ok but if I push hard on the Brake Pedal then sometimes the Brake Pump will cut in

for about 5 to 10 Seconds.

To take up the Slack as you say.

Do you see this as a problem that needs urgent attention? (or could I leave it for a while)

Do you think a New Accumulator would Fix it?

Having read what you said, I think you may have nailed it and I'm obviously going to keep an eye on things, though I'm not mega keen to replace it if I don't need to.

At least until She has got some miles under her belt, as when the New Brake Pads have bedded in, then maybe this will improve.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ronbros
darn ,i dont have an ABS light.
Lucky you Ron!

Is it just the Light you are missing or do you have a Non ABS System.

If you are using the Brake Booster System, is it an XJS one or is there another Stock Brake Booster, that you can buy that will fit.

As I am not a Big Fan of the ABS and have been considering fitting the Brake Booster Type.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

OB,

If the pump is cutting in every time you push the pedal hard then I suggest that you may have an accumulator problem OR possibly a faulty switch that is not allowing correct pressure to be built.

I think that the amount the pump needs to cut in under normal driving is far more of an indicator of a potential issue than how long it takes to pressurise first thing in the morning.

Cheers

Paul

orangeblossom (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Paul

Having replaced the Master Cylinder Actuator and Bled the Brakes yet again, it seems to be getting better as the Pedal is nice and hard all the

time and feels as good as my Grey XJS.

Although it takes 27 Seconds for the ABS light to go out, the Brake Pump seems to have stopped regenerating.

On a restart the same day, the ABS light goes out in 10 Seconds, which is also about the same as my Grey XJS.

So I am cautiously optimistic that it maybe Ok now.

Maybe it could do with a New Accumulator but it really isn't giving me a cause for concern at the moment.

She could probably do with a good hard run to get some mileage under her belt and then I can get a better idea of how everything is performing.