XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

I guess this goodbye

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 12:40 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I guess this goodbye

Well i am not a rich person, and i am not a mechanic. Looks as if i really messed up this time buy cracking the tube that runs to the AC evaporator. I was replacing the hose when the bottom spanner sliped, the hose fitting was on sooooo. Tight....evidenty it is now leaking pretty good. With air pressure on the system i can barely get my fingertips to the firewall where its leaking...i can feel the air coming out.....this i think is way over my head...only option i see which breaks my heart is to sell my 88 xjs...thanks to everyone that has helped me over the years......you fellas are a great bunch of chaps.......

Cheers...............and God Speed..

The following users liked this post:
paulyling (03-14-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Aww. hold on a bit. sleep on it at least a night, A few is better.

As I understand it, it is the Ac line. That is freon leaking away.
The only down fall, is no AC. Other than that, it is still a nice looking and running car.

But, it may be the Ranco valve line that is busted. No fun to replace, but far better than the evaporator itself.

And, even that is doable. Major task, but doable.

Carl

Old 03-13-2016, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by JagCad
Aww. hold on a bit. sleep on it at least a night, A few is better.

As I understand it, it is the Ac line. That is freon leaking away.
The only down fall, is no AC. Other than that, it is still a nice looking and running car.

But, it may be the Ranco valve line that is busted. No fun to replace, but far better than the evaporator itself.

And, even that is doable. Major task, but doable.

Really? ???

Carl
really???

Old 03-13-2016, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Qgregg
really???
cant get to exactly where , but if i squeeze my fingers in behind where the hose nut screws on and into the firewall is where i feel air and it could be just on the otherside of firewall........so frustrated....what shouldve been a easy hose change.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

What do you mean "feel air"? Any refrigerant in the system should be long gone if you breached the line/fitting etc. If the hose is off or loose there would be no more "air" to feel.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 814 Likes on 515 Posts

Take a deep breath and relax.

We've all been there, don't give up.

NathanDD6 (03-16-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

Drink a lot! Sleep, drink some more! Sleep, then if your still not sure have another drink! Then make up your mind. Remember, it's only nuts and bolts, not brain surgery.

mtpckts (03-19-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mac Allan
Take a deep breath and relax.

We've all been there, don't give up.
The system is free of all refrigerant......with all hoses connected.....i put air pressure on with a compressor......feel air blowing out as stated above....wont hold vacuum....or pressure....

mtpckts (03-19-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,921 Likes on 1,669 Posts

It's only aircon.
I have 4 cars with it and it doesn't work on any of them.
Take the whole system out; the car will be lighter, there will be less load on the engine and you will go faster.
If it is hot outside then open the windows and drive really quickly.

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve M:
Jonathan-W (03-14-2016), Sarc (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 07:11 PM
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Where are you in South Carolina? There are several viable Jaguar technicians in the low country area. I just had my AC compressor replaced by tech who has been in business for over 25 years..

Old 03-13-2016, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by MHF25
Where are you in South Carolina? There are several viable Jaguar technicians in the low country area. I just had my AC compressor replaced by tech who has been in business for over 25 years..
Location is Florence S.C

Old 03-13-2016, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Qgregg
Location is Florence S.C
Sad thing is i posted several weeks ago i was going to replace the hose and doug said be care and support the fitting because if the evaporator tube breaks im sunk.....i thought i really had the spanner on there good to back it up.....but that hose fitting was so tight had to use a bar on the wratchet.....it didnt move hardly any, but guess it twisted just enough......the pic i attached is what i could find....i think its break is right it the plate......wondering if i may could get some jb weld on it or something.....

Old 03-13-2016, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Well, when you're sunk there's nothin' to do but re-float the boat!

No matter how you slice it replacing the evap core is a big project. But also perfectly doable if you work slowly and methodically and keep track of everything that you take apart. Look at it this way: all it is, is just taking stuff apart and putting it back together again!

The upside is that your '88 has the Delanair Mk III system which is a bit easier to contend with than the older Mk II type.

I agree that you should sleep on any decisions for a couple days.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-14-2016, 02:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,092 Likes on 5,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve M
It's only aircon.
I have 4 cars with it and it doesn't work on any of them.
Take the whole system out; the car will be lighter, there will be less load on the engine and you will go faster.
If it is hot outside then open the windows and drive really quickly.
Really good advice!
And if you do have to replace the evaporator, as Doug said, it is doable if you have covered space. A new core is expensive, but I am certain you can find a second hand one from a breaker, or from a Forum member. You have definitely cracked the evaporator tube and replacing it is a dashboard out job. I have done it, and it is not nearly as bad as you think it will be when you start out. You do not have to be a mechanic to do it, just have some space and some normal tools, and be able to follow the step by step we will all help you with.
But just check that you HAVE broken it, and not just in fact loosened the nuts. Are they still tight?
Greg

paulyling (03-14-2016)
Old 03-14-2016, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Really good advice!
And if you do have to replace the evaporator, as Doug said, it is doable if you have covered space. A new core is expensive, but I am certain you can find a second hand one from a breaker, or from a Forum member. You have definitely cracked the evaporator tube and replacing it is a dashboard out job. I have done it, and it is not nearly as bad as you think it will be when you start out. You do not have to be a mechanic to do it, just have some space and some normal tools, and be able to follow the step by step we will all help you with.
But just check that you HAVE broken it, and not just in fact loosened the nuts. Are they still tight?
Greg
I'll have to give it a look see. Taking a couple days to breath and take it all in.

paulyling (03-14-2016)
Old 03-14-2016, 09:55 AM
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Contact David at EverydayXJ.com. He is in Rowland, NC (near Salisbury) which is very close to Florence. David deals in all types of Jaguars. He has an extensive inventory list. He does not carry much in XJS inventory, but has numerous interchangeable reference parts. His website is:
www.everydayxj.com/

Last edited by GGG; 03-17-2016 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Remove eMail address from quote and replace with we link
The following 3 users liked this post by MHF25:
davidboger (03-24-2016), Jonathan-W (03-14-2016), mtpckts (03-19-2016)
Old 03-14-2016, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by MHF25
Contact David at EverydayXJ.com. He is in Rowland, NC (near Salisbury) which is very close to Florence. David deals in all types of Jaguars. He has an extensive inventory list. He does not carry much in XJS inventory, but has numerous interchangeable reference parts. His website is
www.everydayxj.com
Thank you much !!!!

Last edited by GGG; 03-17-2016 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Remove eMail address from quote and replace with we link
Old 03-14-2016, 03:54 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Don't get rid of the just because the ac is gone. Drive it for a while and revisit the repair later. Its only ac

Old 03-14-2016, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by BC XJS
Don't get rid of the just because the ac is gone. Drive it for a while and revisit the repair later. Its only ac
Ok Gentleman, not really sure weather good news (i feel it is ) or still sunk? I cut the hose off of a empty can of refrigerant so to be able to get air into the AC System.....with soapy water in hand i sprayed the area in question.......BUBBLES !!! on the other fitting coming off the tube into evaporator....im posting a picture of the discribed area and you can see the other copper tubing smaller tube smaller fitting........looks as if the bubbles are coming from the bottom of other smaller fitting.......had been reading about changing spark plugs and the items that need removal.....is this a possibility to fix both issues of course the AC and change spark plug wires...all from the bonnet side ......what do you all think ?

Old 03-14-2016, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Not sure if I follow but there is a very small diameter tube, with a screw-on nut/fitting, that's part of the expansion valve... #9 in this picture. Is that what you are talking about?

Air Conditioning Evaporator-3.6/5.3 Litre - Parts For XJS from (V)139052 to (V)179736 | Jaguar Heritage Parts UK

The expansion valve itself bolts to one of the evaporator tubes. I can be replaced separately...about $25 for a new one.

Cheers
DD

Quick Reply: I guess this goodbye