XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

I'm considering a '77 XJS

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 12:00 PM
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts
Default I'm considering a '77 XJS

I got a phone call yesterday about an XJS for sale in my area.
I don't know much about this model.

Can someone please tell me of any issues I might look for?

Also, what is a reasonable price for this year? I have not seen it in person yet but I was told it isin good shape and "well equipped". What ever that means.

I see them for sale all the time on Craigs list and E bay for what seems to be ridiculous prices. But one never knows if they actually sell for those prices.

Thanks for your input.

Scott

Old 01-15-2015, 12:41 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Scott I have a 76 and 77 the 76 has a Borg Warner trans. the 77 TH400 the change was mid year 77 the TH400 is preferred. As for what to look for as with all 30 + year old cars and XJ-S's of all vintage is rust. There is a great 6 part write up at www.Just XJS.com free PDF down load. At the very least look at the floor boards and in the boot under the carpet.
Good luck they are wonderful automobiles.

The following users liked this post:
2000JagLvr (01-16-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 12:44 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Oh one other thing let us know how it turns out.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Post pictures.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts
Old 01-15-2015, 06:05 PM
Received 10,313 Likes on 6,823 Posts

Agree with all above.

My requirements are:

Warped sense of humour.

Ability to drink copious amounts of alcohol.

Extremely broad vocabulary.

A keen sense of adventure, more on teh bizzare side.

The PreHE is a monster in any market, and are an awesome beast, HONESTLY. Lots, and I mean HEAPS, of electrical issues, that once sorted PROPERLY will make it as reliable as any Jap car out there.

Rust in your market is a given, sadly.

Our S2 XJ12 (Sir Arthur) in my garage, has topped 500000kms now and is still mechanically as made. OK, some serviceable items along the way, but thr engine is untouched. That is simply coz it starts on demand, stops when asked to, and motors along as a 1976 Jaguar V12 should, VERY FAST.

If you are quite happy to get down and dirty with that car, you will have an awesome experience. If you want someone else to do the work and maintain it, FORGET it, PLEASE.

The following 3 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
2000JagLvr (01-16-2015), Flint Ironstag (01-16-2015), o1xjr (01-16-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 05:13 PM
Default A quick update

I'm going to look at it tomorrow morning(Saturday).

I was told today, by the nice old lady selling it, that it has only 22,000 miles on it. Incredible for a 38 year old car. And also a bit worrying.

It has been sitting in her garage for at least one year. I've hear that is not a good thing for these V12 engines. The last time she started it she had to jump start it. I'm bringing a jumper pack just in case.

I'm thinking it's going to be a bit out of my price range at this point. I haven't asked yet but she has a friend that does some sort of automotive work that cleaned up the interior and waxed, possibly fully detailed the paint.

I won't be surprised if she asks more than $10k for it.

I'll ask if it's ok to snap a few pics of it. I'll tell her I might know others that are interested.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:28 PM

Quoted from Grant above.

Agree with all above.

My requirements are:

Warped sense of humour. I've been told more than once that I'm warped.

Ability to drink copious amounts of alcohol. I quit drinking recently so that might be a problem.

Extremely broad vocabulary. I've been working on cars for a "while" now. I also spent 6 years in the military so I think I have the "correct" vocabulary.

A keen sense of adventure, more on teh bizzare side. I've been there, done that. I'm up for adventure.

The PreHE is a monster in any market, and are an awesome beast, HONESTLY. Lots, and I mean HEAPS, of electrical issues, that once sorted PROPERLY will make it as reliable as any Jap car out there. I don't think it's been driven enough to cause any of the heat/electrical issues.

Rust in your market is a given, sadly. Yes there are rusty cars here. There are also people who take care of their cars and don't get the terminal rust.

Our S2 XJ12 (Sir Arthur) in my garage, has topped 500000kms now and is still mechanically as made. OK, some serviceable items along the way, but thr engine is untouched. That is simply coz it starts on demand, stops when asked to, and motors along as a 1976 Jaguar V12 should, VERY FAST.

If you are quite happy to get down and dirty with that car, you will have an awesome experience. If you want someone else to do the work and maintain it, FORGET it, PLEASE. As long as I don't have to pull the engine(because I just don't have the room) I'm not afraid to go elbows deep into a project.

Grant Francis (01-17-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Positives for her will be the low mileage

Negatives form you will be the problems associated with that low mileage.

Good luck and hope you manage to get and post the Pics. Following thread.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:15 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

$10000 for a non-runner. Shes dreaming. Make a low offer and be prepared to walk away, but leave your number for ehen she realizes she wont get that.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:00 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000JagLvr
I'm going to look at it tomorrow morning(Saturday).

I was told today, by the nice old lady selling it, that it has only 22,000 miles on it. Incredible for a 38 year old car. And also a bit worrying.
As is the case with many pre-1983 vehicles in the US, not having the 100,000 digit on the odometer limits defining the true mileage. It could easily be 122,000. Of course, then there's rolling back the odometers, too.

Good luck with your purchase.

BQ

Old 01-17-2015, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

I think the early XJ-S is very appealing as it is as the car was originally designed: no wood inside, slim black bumpers. Also it was offered in some unique and cool colours.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:03 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi There

we have both a 1984 HE and a 1976 XJS. For my money I take the 1976 convertible any time over the later models.

has more raw power, we live the simpler interior (no wood) and certainly feels more like a sports car.

having said that the fuel consumption on the HE is better compared to the flat heads on the 67, but you can't have it all.

if it is as described and the price is right go for it, you will not regret it

send us some photo's to enjoy

BernardS

Old 01-17-2015, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

I agree! Send pics! Especially if it is a low mile car that hasn't suffered the hands of a DPO.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:04 PM

Well, I went and saw the car this morning. I was surprised at how clean it was for a 38 year old car.

A brief history of the car:
It has had two owners. The first guy put on the first 20K miles or so. the second owner only put on 2 or 3K miles over several years. I has sat for the better part of the last 3 or 4 years at least. The actual service history is unknown at this point.

The good:

Not a spec of rust on it except for a few minor chips in the pain that would be easily repaired.

The wheels were in decent shape. A scratch here and there but only one minor curb rash that I saw. New rubber all around. Not sure if the spare is original or not.

The original tool kit is still in the car.

The seats were in good shape. No torn seams or cracking leather. Only one small tear in the passenger seat near the back outside corner.

Bumpers, dash. instrument panel, center console were in great shape. Again, no cracks or tears.

The bad:

The headliner cloth is falling down. It looked like a pillow top mattress was put i the roof lining. Not really unexpected at this point in time.

The car has been sitting, without being started for the last 18 months or more.

The battery box had evidence of a bad acid leak. It leaked down the side below the carpet level. It's unknown as to what damage was done under there.

The battery was flat so they tried to jump start it. No joy. It turned over but still would not start.

After installing a brand new battery, it still did not start. It turned over and tried to start but just didn't get there.

Old gas? Plugged fuel filter? Bad distributor cap/rotor? Who knows.

Some old guy put two bottles of Stabil gas stabilizer in it last time it was started. Did this cause any problems? Did he get water in the electronics when he washed the engine?

As promised, here are some pics i took today. I was fighting the sun so some are kind of grainy.

Flint Ironstag (01-18-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 10:09 PM

Actual miles on the car are 26144 as seen in the pic of the odometer above.

My guess as to what she wanted for it was spot on. $10000 as is(NOT RUNNING!). She is going to take it to a shop and get it running and will ad the repair cost into the final price.

I said I would be more comfortable around $5000-$6000 with it running. Knowing the history of sitting, even that might be too high.

I stopped at the local Jag dealer and spoke to the used car guy and he came up with the same price.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:21 AM
Received 193 Likes on 108 Posts

WOW, that car is a LOOKER. Definitely one of the best pre-HE cars I have seen in original condition. I would agree with your price of 5-6k. Sure it's a gorgeous classic jag but it's an xjs, not say an e-type..

--- love the British Leyland rims

Old 01-18-2015, 02:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,092 Likes on 5,355 Posts

Lovely car. I agree with the comments about a reasonable price. If you have to pay more than $4000/5000 for it, running, I would walk away, sadly. The reality is that, running or not (and there is not guarantee the Jaguar place will get it running for the owner as many parts are NLA from Jaguar) you will have substantial costs to put into the car, and substantial efforts on your own part, to get it reliable and up to spec. For example:
  • The ignition system will need replacing/upgrading, even if it starts OK eventually. The original is NLA, but a very good upgrade/replacement is available. $$$
  • All the rubber bushes throughout the suspension will be shot and will need replacing to get the correct jaguar ride and handling, efforts - parts not too bad
  • shock absorbers will need replacing $$$
  • all coolant pipes should be replaced, not too expensive but efforts
  • plugs and HT leads,
  • injector flexible feed pipes replacing from fuel rail
  • Fuel system flush and filter
  • Aircon system will need new flexibles, dryer, compressor probably, under -dash fixes probably.
  • Exhaust maybe
  • brake master cylinder for definite, pads, maybe discs.
This list is typical for ANY 40 year old high performance car. As long as you have the heart for it and it will be your hobby, you will have a wonderful hobby and lots of fun. But, not wanting to be a wet blanket, it is important you go into it eyes open. Be prepared to put into it at least, at least, what you paid for it again, doing all the work yourself. Good luck, as I say, lovely car.

Greg

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
2000JagLvr (01-18-2015), Flint Ironstag (01-18-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 02:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

That would be one SWEET project for $1k. Holy cow that's sharp! Nice car phone and Alpine stereo to complete the look.

Yeah, I would probably do it if I weren't so fixated on the 89 models. But DAMN that is nice. And I might sing a different tune if it were in my neck of the woods.

Save her man, go ahead and buy it. You know you want to

Old 01-18-2015, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
Save her man, go ahead and buy it. You know you want to
I do want to. Unfortunately, my better half has other plans for the money.

Quick Reply: I'm considering a '77 XJS