XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Jaguar xjs 1985

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 07:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You said that it's normal but I saw that the air pump is connected to air cleaner and I found this i information on internet, maybe the problems is in air pump.
(One of the first symptoms of a bad or failing smog pump is a rough running engine. When a smog pump fails the finely tuned air-fuel ratios can be upset, and it will negatively affect the performance of the engine. The engine may have trouble idling, and may drop in engine speed, or stall when the pedal is pressed)
thanks.
Ion

Old 09-07-2017, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Our old Jag engines will run fine will a dead or removed air injection pump, no worries.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-07-2017, 07:59 AM

Ok. Then here is something, I disconnect the accelerator system separately and when I push the accelerator on driver side the rpm going up a little but after I hear something like explosions in exhaust system and it tyrns off, but when I push accelerator on passenger side, engine just turns off.
thanks.
Ion

Old 09-09-2017, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
It stayed running with the fuel pump wired directly to the battery? Which post of the pump did you connect to the battery, negative or positive?

"+" voltage to the pump comes from the pump relay. If you connected the pump to the "+" battery post and the engine stayed running then you need to find out why the relay isn't supplying 12v "+" to the pump.

Do you have a 12volt test light?

Cheers
DD
Hi.
I measure the presure in fuel injection system.
38psi when engine it's on.
48psi when fuel pump is on and engine off.
and when I turn off the engine presure goes down from 38 to 15 psi in one second, an next 5-10 second does down completely.
is that ok?!
thanks.
Ion

Old 09-10-2017, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

Where is this measurement taken? Should be between fuel rail and port fuel pressure regulator.

This pressure is a little high, but should run the car.

Fuel pressure should not drop quickly. If it does, and no leaks are present in any lines, then either the fuel pump check valve is bad, or an injector is not seating and is leaking fuel into the intake.

I'd swap the fuel pump. They are not expensive and you can get them at most parts stores. Check your fuel pressure again with the new pump. If you still have a quick leak down then I'd pull the fuel rail to check for a leaking injector.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by JigJag
Where is this measurement taken? Should be between fuel rail and port fuel pressure regulator.

Fuel pressure should not drop quickly. If it does, and no leaks are present in any lines, then either the fuel pump check valve is bad, or an injector is not seating and is leaking fuel into the intake.

I'd swap the fuel pump. They are not expensive and you can get them at most parts stores. Check your fuel pressure again with the new pump. If you still have a quick leak down then I'd pull the fuel rail to check for a leaking injector.
Hi. I measured between rigth presure regulator and fuel rail. But first time I did that between fuel pump an right presure regulator.
I'm waiting for a new fuel pump, but anyway I don't like that the presure is going down on fuel rails, because I checked every injector twice and no one had a leak.
thanks.
Ion

Old 09-13-2017, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by JigJag

Hi. Today I changed fuel pump and the problem still persists. I can tell one thing what I don't like. Like I said I disconnect accelerator system separately and when I pus the accelerator on driver side the rpm going up...but on the passenger side if I push...it turns off.. can somebody explain me why it turns off?
thanks.
Ion

Old 09-17-2017, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ion Balau
Hi. Today I changed fuel pump and the problem still persists. I can tell one thing what I don't like. Like I said I disconnect accelerator system separately and when I pus the accelerator on driver side the rpm going up...but on the passenger side if I push...it turns off.. can somebody explain me why it turns off?
thanks.
Ion

Hmmmm.

I'm not sure why ....and I'm not sure it's important to know why. I'm not sure if this discovery has any bearing on your original problem. Let's hear what others have to say on that.

I know from past experience that if the LH and RH throttles are not synchronized the engine will run badly. I'd attach both throttle linkages and make sure the throttles open smoothly and evenly, as intended and, for the time being at least, move on to something else.

Okay, back to the beginning.....

The original problem was that the engine would run but then die if the throttle was opened. If this is accompanied by chugging and black smoke/heavy exhaust smell it suggests over fueling. If it cuts off cleanly it suggests lack of fuel. You haven't mentioned black smoke and chugging so let's run with lack of fuel.

Lack of fuel can be caused by.....

1) Inadequate fuel supply. But you've replaced the pump and direct-wired it to eliminate a possible problem with the control circuit. And, if I understand correctly, it sounds like you enough fuel pressure.

2) Incorrect operation of the injectors so that fuel is not being injected into the cylinders in response and proportion to the incoming air from the open throttles.

I'd assume, for the moment at least, that #2 is true and methodically check and eliminate all the possibilities. Sometimes that the only choice.

Personally, I'd check the TPS- throttle position sensor. It 'tells' the ECU that the throttle is being opened so that fuel metering can be increased. This is needed because the vacuum operated manifold pressure sensor (the main input in fuel metering, located inside the ECU) is slower responding. The TPS signal, however, is instantaneous, to cover that transition period until the pressure sensor can catch up.

The TPS is checked by monitoring voltage as the throttle is opened. You want to see about .32-.36v at idle and 4.5v -4.8v at wide open throttle and, most importantly, no dead spots when the throttle is slowly opened. Voltage is measured by probing the red and yellow wires at the TPS, key on, engine off. The TPS connector must remain plugged-in.

There are many other things to check. The TPS is just a jumping-off point. If it checks out OK then move on to something else.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-18-2017, 07:07 PM

Hmmmm.

I'm not sure why ....and I'm not sure it's important to know why. I'm not sure if this discovery has any bearing on your original problem. Let's hear what others have to say on that.

I know from past experience that if the LH and RH throttles are not synchronized the engine will run badly. I'd attach both throttle linkages and make sure the throttles open smoothly and evenly, as intended and, for the time being at least, move on to something else.

The original problem was that the engine would run but then die if the throttle was opened. If this is accompanied by chugging and black smoke/heavy exhaust smell it suggests over fueling. If it cuts off cleanly it suggests lack of fuel. You haven't mentioned black smoke and chugging so let's run with lack of fuel.

1) Inadequate fuel supply. But you've replaced the pump and direct-wired it to eliminate a possible problem with the control circuit. And, if I understand correctly, it sounds like you enough fuel pressure.

2) Incorrect operation of the injectors so that fuel is not being injected into the cylinders in response and proportion to the incoming air from the open throttles.

I'd assume, for the moment at least, that #2 is true and methodically check and eliminate all the possibilities. Sometimes that the only choice.

Personally, I'd check the TPS- throttle position sensor. It 'tells' the ECU that the throttle is being opened so that fuel metering can be increased. This is needed because the vacuum operated manifold pressure sensor (the main input in fuel metering, located inside the ECU) is slower responding. The TPS signal, however, is instantaneous, to cover that transition period until the pressure sensor can catch up.

The TPS is checked by monitoring voltage as the throttle is opened. You want to see about .32-.36v at idle and 4.5v -4.8v at wide open throttle and, most importantly, no dead spots when the throttle is slowly opened. Voltage is measured by probing the red and yellow wires at the TPS, key on, engine off. The TPS connector must remain plugged-in.

There are many other things to check. The TPS is just a jumping-off point. If it checks out OK then move on to something else.

Cheers
DD
Hi.
I measured the TPS voltage, I turned key on.. engine off, from the start is .21 v after when I opened the throttle slowly, voltage increase to 4.66 v. Is there problem if ia .21 v just when the throttle is not opened?
thanks.
Ion

Old 09-18-2017, 07:26 PM

Hmmmm.

Cheers
DD
Hi.
I measured the TPS voltage, I turned key on.. engine off, from the start is .21 v after when I opened the throttle slowly, voltage increase to 4.66 v. Is there problem if ia .26 v just when the throttle is not opened?
thanks.
Ion

Old 09-18-2017, 10:04 PM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

TPS voltage can vary from the optimal. I know mine is not in the 0.32-0.36V range and it idles and runs fine.

IMO, 0.26V going to 4.66V would not (should not) cause engine shut off

The following users liked this post:
Doug (09-19-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by v1rok
TPS voltage can vary from the optimal. I know mine is not in the 0.32-0.36V range and it idles and runs fine.

Hi!
I checked again and it is .31 v, but I saw a leak on crankshaft cylinder 6A
I don't know, is that oil or something else, also on passenger side that metal air pipe have a small gap, do I have to fix that gap?
Thank you
Ion

Old 09-19-2017, 01:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,087 Likes on 5,351 Posts

Ion
Please do not think me impolite; but in my view anyway, you have a decision to make. Do you want this cat to be a keeper and to be properly reliable? If the answer is Yes, then the first thing is to decide to be 100% methodical. You must go through each system in the car, examine it carefully and make it 100% right. This means, in no particular order:
  • Fuel system from tank to engine
  • Radiator thermostats and cooling system
  • Ignition system, plugs, HT leads, distributor, amplifier, coils, associated looms and sensors
  • Brakes
  • Suspension and steering
  • All fluids
Whilst forum members want to help, and certainly will do and gladly, posing odd questions out of the context of an overall approach, and not knowing which system on the car you are trying to make good, means it is difficult for anyone to really give you much useful advice.
Greg

Old 09-19-2017, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by v1rok

I agree.

Cheers
DD