XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Just bought a V12 - magic ride, cuppla probs tho...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 10:33 AM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Just bought a V12 - magic ride, cuppla probs tho...

Evening gentlemen (and others), In a moment of heroic insanity, I bought a V12 unseen from Anglia Car Auctions at the weekend. Showed up with the cash and a few CDs to drive her home yesterday (Kings Lynn to Brighton). Yes, I was shitting myself!

She looked almost as good as in the pics (I did get someone to talk me round her but yes, I should have gone myself), bar a couple of very small bubbles in the paint. Drivers door handle hanging off. Cracked tyres - all P6000s, at least 12 years old... Battery was flat (as expected).

Got her started, oil pressure is excellent, temperature steady. Exhaust a bit blowy at the front end. Very throaty! Had a rolly to calm the nerves and set off. Kept her running at the fuel stop because of the battery, thankfully got away with it.

First off, she made it home, no dramas, no beats missed. Pulls very well I must say, sounds glorious, gearbox fine. Love the way she jumps from 70 to 100 plus. She had recently had full fluid change, mildly reassuring. But, of course, there are some issues. Thoughts/comments appreciated:

1. Brakes. Hmm. Needs a lot of peddle pressure - I'm a fairly big unit and had to use a bit of thigh power to slow her down. She also squirms a bit, pulling to the left. Basically had to be pretty vigilant as I had no confidence in emergency stopping. Can't give more info until I get her on a ramp, see what discs, pads and calipers are up to...

2. Fan. Seems to be one speed on all settings, temperature doesn't get warm at all, temp switch doesn't feel right at all - sloppy with no notches when you turn it, except at each end of the turn.

3. Wind noise - quite a lot from drivers door, seems to be around the quarter light - will stick a boiling kettle inside, see where the steam escapes - any other ideas?

4. Woke up to quite a steamed up interior - fan took care of the front soon enough but the switch for rear screen heater doesn't click in - can I get hold of these?

I'm sure there'll be plenty more things to sort. Not expecting miracle cures, just saying hello and sharing the ride so far - very much liking that V12 grunt, struggling to get above 17mpg tho! Fackit.

The following users liked this post:
dborthwick (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Lottsa fun coming up

Lottsa fun coming up. We hope! But, welcome here and kudos on the "catch".

BIG CAVEAT:

Nostrildamus (02-06-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

100 + ON 12 YEQR OLD CRACKED TIRES!!! But, glad you made it.

1. Get new tires or stick to neighborhood slow roads, for a bit.

2. Get a battery check. It probably suffered from resting flat.

3. With a VOM, check continuity at the defog strip on the rear glass. Again, with the VOM and the heat switch on,. check for available volts.

4. Hard brake pedal usually means a leak in the diaphragm or the line leading to it.

5. Pulling may with a lot of luck go away. sticky caliper pistons for lack of exercise.

6. There is a trim piece on the B pillar. A missing cap makes a "whistle" out of it.

7. Select a strip of sturdy but flexible "card board". Place it around the mating surface of door to chassis. Close the door. If you find an area that does not entrap the strip, the seal there has gone limp. That's your wind leak.

Apologies for the confusing posts. Stiff fingers this AM.

Carl

Old 02-03-2017, 11:19 AM

Thanks for chipping in boys - will phone around for some tyres sharpish (just couldn't help putting foot me down a couple o times).

Carl, this diaphragm - you mean on the servo I presume?

Thanks again, Mike

orangeblossom (02-07-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Hi Nostrildamus

What year is your Car and where are the Pics?

If She's younger than 1988 with the Braking Problems you describe, you may be only one step away from Self Harming (Lol)

Last edited by orangeblossom; 02-03-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Mike:

Yes. Littler or no boost = hard pedal.

Carl

Old 02-03-2017, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, Hard pedal is because of little or no vacuum boost.

Create a task list. Mark off the things as they get fixed.

carl

Old 02-03-2017, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Congratulations! A well sorted XJS is a fabulous car.

Might be better to use separate postings for the different issues you're looking for help with.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-03-2017, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

You need add your car details to your signature.

There were many upgrades to the XJS over its life and to give you proper advice people need to know what year and what options.

With brakes does your car have ABS.

The following 2 users liked this post by warrjon:
Nostrildamus (02-06-2017), orangeblossom (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 05:46 PM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

I'd suggest a full brake fluid bleed/replacement along with new brake line hoses as my number one priority. If she ain't safe the rest is moot.

Second thing would be new tires soonest, especially on the front if funds limit doing all four at once. No need to spend big money on "V" rated tires if you don't drive at those speeds. An "S" or "T" rated tire is more than adequate for normal driving. Remember those ratings are for sustained speeds over a certain limit, not the occasional brief visit to those levels.

Third thing to address, but as soon as possible is condition of the fuel rail hoses. Old rubber may be prone to cracking leading to an engine fire. Easy, but time consuming, to take care of replacing yourself. Also check condition of all plug wires and ignition wiring.

Forth, distributor maintenance. Marelli ignition or standard distributor? Depends on year. Either way you'll have some preventive maintenance care for your kitty so she doesn't burn up on you.

I too have always had a wind noise from my drivers side door along the "A" pillar portion. My car is an '87. Hmmm...

The following 2 users liked this post by BradsCat:
Nostrildamus (02-06-2017), orangeblossom (02-03-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 08:41 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

You might find that the pull to one side could be caused by those old tires, too. Replace 'em and you might find a lot of problems have been rectified.

The following 2 users liked this post by Pawsnclaws:
Nostrildamus (02-06-2017), orangeblossom (02-05-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 02:47 AM

Cor, what a helpful bunch - thanks everyone. Been rather busy over the weekend and just sorted a garage out so I will take some pics and show you what I've got. She's a 1989 G-plate HE auto with cross lattice alloys in bright red. Body is pretty much immaculate to be honest, bar a small bubble at the bottom of the drivers door. Am making a snag list which is growing all the time, naturally. Having not got my hands dirty for a few years I am looking forward to tinkering and sharing the ride. Thanks again and watch this space...

Old 02-06-2017, 12:10 PM

Something else!

Just went to start her and all good until the cold start switched off - the revs started to dip and rise, like she was going to cut out then got a squirt of juice just in time. It was then a steady rhythm of revs cutting off then rising again. Revved her a little and she seemed to remedy herself and back to steady revs. Sound familiar? There's a delay with the garage so she is currently out in the elements - not ideal...

Old 02-06-2017, 01:15 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Re Revs Cutting and Rising... Is this the same problem, addressed earlier in another thread?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...g-idle-175652/

Old 02-06-2017, 05:37 PM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, it sure sounds like it. That thread talks about the Auxiliary Air Valve (AAV) being the culprit. Likely stuck and it may be possible to unstick it with some penetrating oil.

dborthwick (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 02:54 AM

Ahaa! Thanks for the tip - will be my first job. First of many I feel...

dborthwick (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 424 Likes on 251 Posts

I had this on my car. We took the aav and swapped from boiling water into cold a few times and it works great now

The following 2 users liked this post by brinny:
Nostrildamus (02-08-2017), orangeblossom (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 03:28 PM
Received 174 Likes on 126 Posts

I originally posted the "automatic revving at idle". I got a variety of suggestions for a fix, including maintenance of the AAV (which I just "maintenance-d" three years ago...but it's gotta break sometime), as well as inspecting the inside of the throttle bodies for "goo". Since it otherwise runs fine, I'm waiting for warmer weather to pursue this problem.

A more detailed analysis is here: Jaguar Auxiliary Air Valve

I can tell you in my case that it only does the revving in idle, as soon as I shift it into drive the revving stops.

Thanks,

John
1987 XJ-S V12

The following 2 users liked this post by J_C_R:
dborthwick (02-08-2017), Nostrildamus (02-08-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 424 Likes on 251 Posts

I was guided by a very kind american called gene holtzclaw. I changed on genes advice the front and rear sensors the air and water sensors and aswell as the plugs leads and rotor arm finally to the aav.car had been filled with too much oil, nearly a gallon too much. But after all the above she runs like a dream. Gene guided me through things and was an inspiration.An absolute gent who i recommend you contact via the forum.please give him my fondest regards ��

Nostrildamus (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by brinny
I was guided by a very kind american called gene holtzclaw. I changed on genes advice the front and rear sensors the air and water sensors and aswell as the plugs leads and rotor arm finally to the aav.car had been filled with too much oil, nearly a gallon too much. But after all the above she runs like a dream. Gene guided me through things and was an inspiration.An absolute gent who i recommend you contact via the forum.please give him my fondest regards ��
Feels like I'm about to meet Yoda - hope I'm ready...

Thanks again gents. Jag (he/she doesn't have a name yet) is now safely tucked up in her garage and I am looking forward to the weekend to start tinkering and getting to know this yet unfamiliar beast...