26.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Leaper or no leaper?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
Oh gosh, another one of these topics....I guess the other 387 where not enough.....,

I really find it difficult to understand how people find a jaguar hood mascot-which stands as a symbol of continuity in all its Art Deco decadence-so offensive, yet they rarely say a peep about ill fitting aftermarket rims (which usually encompasses 99.9 of aftermarket rims) and dark "hood" window tint.....and they are very vocal about it too. Whenever I see some of those 18 inch chrome wheels and dark limo tint some people proudly display I politely move on to the next topic and not point out that your car looks like Sugge Knight and Kim Kardashian just threw up all over your vehicle in all their nouveau riche depravity.

IMO, The leaper suits the XJS design in the same way it suits the XK150 design. There IS a reason why a very large amount of both XK150's and XJS have added leapers in spite of being the "Sport models" and its not because the owners of those cars lack taste. It's because in both cases the design lends itself well to the leaper. The reason you rarely see an E type or XK8 with a leaper is because the opposite is true for those cars.
actually it fits the xk150 because it leaps forward the same way the headlights and fenders do. It matches like 10 other shapes on the front of the car. It doesn't have to just be "preference," there is a reason it looks good, a logical reason that it strikes people as good or bad.

The XJS has none of those features. It is long and sloping just a bit, with the front end more or less cutting straight off. The leaper has no other bits matching its shape or height, it is a different angle than the hood and going in the opposite direction.

I am sure tons of people got leapers because they wanted to show off, im sure tons got the leaper because it IS cool, but had no sense of style or idea that it wouldn't look right on the car. I am sure there are tons of people that got them and genuinely enjoyed them. However the bulk of owners who appreciate the XJS today do not like them.

Just because people got them doesn't mean they look good, if that is your only logic, then all the "ill fitting" shitty aftermarket rims actually look awesome because so many people have them, so they must have good style.
The reality is the people with ugly wheels are the same people with ugly tints and the same people that thing the leaper looks good and like putting horrid chrome fender flares on the car.

The following 2 users liked this post by sidescrollin:
Forcedair1 (02-28-2015), orangeblossom (02-23-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 06:55 PM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts
Default e

Lets not let this subject divide us. After all, we are all here for the same reason...we love our Jaguar.

I don't care about leapers, wheels, tint or whatever. I say live and let live. If someone is happy with the way they have styled their car then that's OK for me.

All Jag lovers are friends of mine.

Mark

The following 3 users liked this post by Safari:
Gunner01 (02-24-2015), o1xjr (02-25-2015), orangeblossom (02-24-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

yeah i mean im happy to see them no matter what their condition, was just saying i think the cars with leapers are the abnormal ones and most people seem to agree they look better without them for a reason that make sense

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 08:47 AM
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Safari
Lets not let this subject divide us. After all, we are all here for the same reason...we love our Jaguar.

I don't care about leapers, wheels, tint or whatever. I say live and let live. If someone is happy with the way they have styled their car then that's OK for me.

All Jag lovers are friends of mine.

Mark

+1
I get soo excited when I see another XJS, I don't care what the owner has done to his car, I'm just happy to see it.

orangeblossom (02-25-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 09:03 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts
Unhappy

I love seeing any XJS out and about. The only thing I have seen from photos that to me just does not look right to my eye on the XJS is over sized wheels mounted on one. When I say over sized I mean like 20" wheels and bigger.

Luckily you do not see this often at all but every once and a while I will see a XJS with big over sized wheels and to me just makes the car look goofy.

So to Mark in Houston I say " I feel your pain "

orangeblossom (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 03:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,745 Likes on 2,597 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS'
I love seeing any XJS out and about. The only thing I have seen from photos that to me just does not look right to my eye on the XJS is over sized wheels mounted on one. When I say over sized I mean like 20" wheels and bigger.

Luckily you do not see this often at all but every once and a while I will see a XJS with big over sized wheels and to me just makes the car look goofy.

So to Mark in Houston I say " I feel your pain "
The fitment of a 'Leaper' on an XJS, that doesn't already have one, is as close to Slashing a 'Rembrandt' as its possible to get!

Old 02-25-2015, 04:15 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vee
I feel sorry for all of those people driving Ferraris. No pop up emblems on the hoods to remind them that their in some special club.

What about those poor souls driving a Noble, they probably forget what they're driving as soon as they pull out off the lot!

There are so many things wrong with what's written here, I will just have to leave it at that.
They put name badges in the centre of the steering wheel on modern cars......why is that then??? To remind you what you bought? (maybe they need to as most modern cars look like at least a dozen others). I am talking about old cars and their original objectives, and how that train of thought is no longer valid on modern cars, as the modern car's outside is designed to impress more than the inside. If I spend ****-loads of cash on a car, I want to get some sort of pleasure whilst I'm driving it, and not just from the thought that I am impressing those outside. The original luxury emblem'd cars were, after all, designed and built to cosset the rich who didn't give a damn about what the "little people" thought, and that ideal has been "pleb'd enough for hood emblems to end up on all sorts of average cars now-days. Its a shame, but there it is. Anyway, its only my opinion and an alternative theory which is enough to stop me being a lemming. :-D

Old 02-25-2015, 06:25 AM
Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

+1 to without leaper on xjs.
I like the badges, on the other hand, and I do love the cloisonné badge on 4.0 celebrations.
It look really gorgeous!
I wish they'd made one for V12s.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:29 PM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

Doug. Grotesque?? Must I presume you also removed the Jaguar emblems on the front quarter panels too?
A small leaper looks quite nice on the XJS or any Jaguar, in my humble opinion of course.
Cheers, RagJag.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default One leaper, one growler, and a hole in the hood!

I have three XJS's, and the hood of each is different. One has a leaper; one has a growler; and, one has a hole in the hood surrounded by bright red, new looking-paint that indicates where the original hood ornament sat. Someone obviously DID think the Cat looked good.

I will replace it with something, and the choice will not be that difficult for me. I like it with one, with the other, or with nothing. It's likely that I will replace it with a nice looking growler that's on a 1990 wrecked parts car that I own.

I've enjoyed reading about the strong opinions related to both sides of this issue. Cheers to all.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Pete:

I like it!!!

Well, the official mascot of my high school is/was the Panther!!! usually depicted in gold.

The cross town rival had the Tiger as theirs. So, an enterprising Panther band leader
adopted "Tiger Rag" and adjusted it. "Kill that dirty Tiger", emphasized with hearty tuba work. Probably out of the question nowadays.

But, in my senior year our football team smashed theirs 39-0 in their stadium!!!

Garage endeavours inconclusive this morning. both the Jaguar and the vacumn ???
Carl

Old 02-28-2015, 07:42 AM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts
Default leapers

Don't know if anyone has said this on this thread or not, but the Factory NEVER put a leaper on an XJS. If someone bought a car with one from new, it was something a dealer added. Hood ornamentation looks good on a Rolls, with their prominent, stately grills, but way out of place on a low, sloping bonnet that was designed to be that shape for aerodynamic purposes. Malcolm Sayer would roll over in his grave!

Old 02-28-2015, 10:04 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Is it time to move on to a facelift tail light poll now?

ronbros (03-01-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by Vee
HaHa, took the words right out of my mouth! Maybe a nice oil thread, or spark plugs. Hey euro vs quad headlights hasn't been discussed for a few weeks.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:21 AM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
actually it fits the xk150 because it leaps forward the same way the headlights and fenders do. It matches like 10 other shapes on the front of the car. It doesn't have to just be "preference," there is a reason it looks good, a logical reason that it strikes people as good or bad.

The XJS has none of those features. It is long and sloping just a bit, with the front end more or less cutting straight off. The leaper has no other bits matching its shape or height, it is a different angle than the hood and going in the opposite direction.

I am sure tons of people got leapers because they wanted to show off, im sure tons got the leaper because it IS cool, but had no sense of style or idea that it wouldn't look right on the car. I am sure there are tons of people that got them and genuinely enjoyed them. However the bulk of owners who appreciate the XJS today do not like them.

Just because people got them doesn't mean they look good, if that is your only logic, then all the "ill fitting" shitty aftermarket rims actually look awesome because so many people have them, so they must have good style.
The reality is the people with ugly wheels are the same people with ugly tints and the same people that thing the leaper looks good and like putting horrid chrome fender flares on the car.
Strange enough I have a photo of one of my 1995 XJS' parked next to a 1952 XK120 and to my eye the way the fenders and headlights come up above the hood on the XJS does work to some degree with the leaper. I suspect this is why a small leaper on the XJS placed right where the badge would go does not look out of the place on the XJS.

Compare this to an E type or XK8 front end for example, where the fenders slope down with the hood and the leaper looks completely out of place.

Lets face it those of us who do not care for the leaper on the XJS would never put one on but sometimes we buy one with the leaper already on the car and as in my case if tastefully done it may just work for you enough not to remove it.

I must say the XJS I bought with the leaper would loose some of its character if I were to take it off since I am use to seeing it on this car. In my mind if something like the leaper does not "jump out at you"-LOL, every time you look at the car then it can work with that car.

Last edited by LuvmyXJS'; 03-01-2015 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

why does the leaper have to be on the hood??

hers mine, and it quickly explains whats under the hood!

Attached Thumbnails Leaper or no leaper?-jag-strips-10-22-2012-005.jpg  
Old 02-28-2015, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Safari
The leaper looks fine on the 4 door sedans but I think it looks out of place on the XJ-S.

On the other hand, the original growler badge is not very special. Something that is enameled with some color would look more interesting.

Mark
Absolutely and totally agree... and this was my response to this "flaw":
Of course, you can't do this with a V12...

Attached Thumbnails Leaper or no leaper?-pic-5.jpg   Leaper or no leaper?-cimg2176-1.jpg  
orangeblossom (03-01-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,745 Likes on 2,597 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
Absolutely and totally agree... and this was my response to this "flaw":
Of course, you can't do this with a V12...
What an Amazing Color!

What shade of Green is She?

Old 03-01-2015, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

Originally Posted by Vee

i have a cig. butt in my rear seat ash tray, does that qualify?

Old 03-01-2015, 12:12 PM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

The small chrome leaper looks nice on the XJS. Blacked out tail light lens, which Jaguar didn't make enough of, on the other hand, do not look good.
RagJag

Quick Reply: Leaper or no leaper?