XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Leaping Jaguar Hood Ornament aftermarket on XJS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,766 Likes on 2,606 Posts

The general Concensus seems to be that everyone hates the position of the 'Leaper' on my Car, every little bit as much as I do!

Though if I go and remove it, never to return, I will be left with a couple of holes in the bonnet, which of course will look even worse than the leaper.

So what I was thinking of doing was replacing it with the 'Growler' from my Scrap Car, so I would have Twin Growlers, instead of just the One.

It might look good or just plain 'blinking awful' but figured that it might be worth a try.

And just before someone suggests it, NO I don't want to swap them around and put the dreaded 'Leaper' on the Front!

So my question is how do I remove the 'Growler' from the 'Scrapper?' because I'm not sure how to remove it.

In some ways it looks like a Collar with a small nut/screw in the middle or is it just a big nut?

I've already got it soaking in 'The Mixture' 50/50 Acetone/ATF@GIF

So how do I undo this mysterious clip?

Any other suggestions in filling the empty holes appreciated but I want to try the double 'Growler' first to see how it looks.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,154 Likes on 5,383 Posts

Just undo that tiny bolt in the middle of that big spacer. It will lift off. The other little hole is a locating one, so the growler cannot turn.

In the end, the leaper removal will be a bonnet welded patch underneath, fill and respray job. But you could Pull the leaper and epoxy a patch underneath and fill it, and rattle can a white over it. Surprising how fast I get used to these little paint bodges on mine!

Two growlers = yuk ! (Just my opinion!). But fix the mechanics first is my motto ...
Greg

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (11-04-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 08:38 AM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

Seems to me that those that have a leaper on the hood, like them. Those that do not have a leaper do not like them. Odd, to say the least. Just human nature I suppose.
In my opinion, the small chrome leaper looks absolutely fine on the XJS hood. It is spring mounted so no stray pedestrian will get speared. A person would think we were discussing add-ons to a Mercedes Gull Wing or a Rolls Royce. These old XJS cars are almost worthless in the collector car world. Not even worth discussing.
Cheers, RagJag

The following 2 users liked this post by RagJag:
Bc xj (11-04-2014), orangeblossom (11-04-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,817 Likes on 7,122 Posts

Originally Posted by RagJag
Seems to me that those that have a leaper on the hood, like them. Those that do not have a leaper do not like them. Odd, to say the least. Just human nature I suppose.

What's odd about it? Would you expect someone who does not like the leaper to install one?

In my opinion, the small chrome leaper looks absolutely fine on the XJS hood. It is spring mounted so no stray pedestrian will get speared. A person would think we were discussing add-ons to a Mercedes Gull Wing or a Rolls Royce. These old XJS cars are almost worthless in the collector car world. Not even worth discussing.

Not sure what you are driving at. Are you saying opinion of the leaper should be dictated by market value of the car?

If you like the leaper is doesn't matter if the car is worth $1000 or $100,000

If you don't like the leaper it doesn't matter if the car is worth $1000 or $100,000

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
o1xjr (11-05-2014), orangeblossom (11-04-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
What's odd about it? Would you expect someone who does not like the leaper to install one?

Not sure what you are driving at. Are you saying opinion of the leaper should be dictated by market value of the car?

If you like the leaper is doesn't matter if the car is worth $1000 or $100,000

If you don't like the leaper it doesn't matter if the car is worth $1000 or $100,000

Cheers
DD
I have to agree with you there Doug, its got nothing to do with the money but one of these Cars is priceless to its owner.

You basically love the 'Leaper' or you don't and it just seems to look so out of place on the bonnet/hood of an XJS.

If Jaguar thought any different, then they would have probably fitted them during production.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RagJag
Cheers, RagJag
Those who have fitted 'Leapers' have to learn to love them, as once you drill those holes then its 'Game Over'

Old 11-04-2014, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Just undo that tiny bolt in the middle of that big spacer. It will lift off. The other little hole is a locating one, so the growler cannot turn.

In the end, the leaper removal will be a bonnet welded patch underneath, fill and respray job. But you could Pull the leaper and epoxy a patch underneath and fill it, and rattle can a white over it. Surprising how fast I get used to these little paint bodges on mine!

Two growlers = yuk ! (Just my opinion!). But fix the mechanics first is my motto ...
Greg
Hi Greg

Thanks

Now I know how to remove it, I'll get on and do it and though I know you are almost certainly right how 'naf' it will look, its only a temporary measure until I or somebody else comes up with a better idea.

A bodged up re-spray done by me, could well look even worse.

Though not by much!

Old 11-04-2014, 10:04 AM
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

OB, get yourself a couple of these to fill the holes left behind. You could even spray to match your cars colour as close as possible
Hole Plugs - Plug Buttons : Apex Fasteners

Old 11-04-2014, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
A really great way to ruin the look of your Hood/Bonnet!

Even if its in the same place as 'The Saints White XJS'

I didn't have any choice with this, it was on there when I bought the Car.

I really bought the cars as is...
would love to find a growler to replace the leaper...
at Halloween I might as well have snoopy on his doghouse sopwith camel

thanks

Old 11-04-2014, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jonathan-W
I really bought the cars as is...
would love to find a growler to replace the leaper...
at Halloween I might as well have snoopy on his doghouse sopwith camel

thanks
Don't lead me into Temptation, I could well take you up on that idea!

Old 11-04-2014, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gunner01
OB, get yourself a couple of these to fill the holes left behind. You could even spray to match your cars colour as close as possible
Hole Plugs - Plug Buttons : Apex Fasteners
Now that is what I call a GREAT IDEA!

A Brilliant piece of lateral thinking, that is only rivaled by those fastners themselves.

The mixture worked the Magic and I've managed to get the 'Growler' off the 'Scrapper' which has even got the rubber sealing washer underneath.

The dreaded 'Leaper' is still on the Car but its too dark now to see what I am doing, so not really sure how many or what kind of holes I will find.

If the 'Growler' will fit I'll post a pic to see what you guys think but the button idea could well look even better.

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Gunner01 (11-04-2014), paulyling (11-04-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 414 Likes on 312 Posts

Orangeblossom, I have not read the entire thread, but I bet I could summarize it pretty accurately

I am firmly in the camp of 'leaper has no place on the XJS'.

Here are the two most sensible options as I see it:

1. Remove the leaper and have the holes filled in, and paint blended.

2. Find a bonnet same color as yours and swap them.

The following 2 users liked this post by Flint Ironstag:
orangeblossom (11-05-2014), paulyling (11-04-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 09:02 PM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

Gday Flint! When are we having a beer in Houston mate?

I am just about to swap out my leaper and join the growler club. I am not sure how I feel about it yet though lol!

orangeblossom (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 12:53 AM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

Guys

just got word back from the jag spares dealer in Oz.

He can offer me both for a pretty good price and Im already ordering some stuff off him so thought to included in the one shipment.

I was thinking of getting both.

What do you think would suit my 1985 HE which, as per my signature, is Sapphire Blue Metallic?

I'm still confused on this issue....

Going by our previous discussions it would appear if the Blue Goose was American it would be the Black Growler badge, and gold if she was a red painted car.

But....i found out she used to orginally have the bronze badge. Now...is the bronze just a dirty gold, or was their literaly a GOLD on AND a BRONZE one?

Sorry if we already covered this. I'm still confused on the matter lol and I guess it is preference as we say at the end of the day.

Thoughts? Input?

Attached Thumbnails Leaping Jaguar Hood Ornament aftermarket on XJS?-dscn0002.jpg   Leaping Jaguar Hood Ornament aftermarket on XJS?-dscn0003.jpg  
Old 11-05-2014, 01:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,171 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Hmmm ... wonder if JCNA would assess points for the extra hole in Orange Blossom's hood even if patched because no XJS ever left Brown's Lane with such a hole.

Accessories, or at least common accessories ought to be accepted as being "authentic for period" at the very least. Without that, it would be like assessing points against
an MGB or TR6 for having the very common and well known luggage rack on the
trunk lid.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,154 Likes on 5,383 Posts

Originally Posted by paulyling
But....i found out she used to orginally have the bronze badge. Now...is the bronze just a dirty gold, or was their literaly a GOLD on AND a BRONZE one?
Two different badges. The gold one would look good against a metaillic red (I nearly fell for one but resisted the temptation) but bronze is original and understated and Grace Kelly doesn't need a flash gold ankle bracelet to look gorgeous !.

Greg

The following 3 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Gunner01 (11-05-2014), orangeblossom (11-05-2014), paulyling (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
Orangeblossom, I have not read the entire thread, but I bet I could summarize it pretty accurately

I am firmly in the camp of 'leaper has no place on the XJS'.

Here are the two most sensible options as I see it:

1. Remove the leaper and have the holes filled in, and paint blended.

2. Find a bonnet same color as yours and swap them.
Spot on Dude!

I really hate that thing!

Where it has been bolted on mine, it tends to make the bonnet/hood look higher in the middle and takes away from those lovely long sweeping lines.

It does look like a pro-job though, as if it was done to order by the Dealership. (though no excuse for spoiling the look of a great car)

The GF's Dad reckons that he can Mig Weld the hole up and grind it down so I won't know that it was there but I think I'd like to leave that option open till the Summer, when I can paint it under ideal conditions.

paulyling (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 04:27 AM
Veteran Member

Gday Flint! When are we having a beer in Houston mate?

I am just about to swap out my leaper and join the growler club. I am not sure how I feel about it yet though lol!
The Sooner the better Bro, what took you so long!

paulyling (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 04:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
Hmmm ... wonder if JCNA would assess points for the extra hole in Orange Blossom's hood even if patched because no XJS ever left Brown's Lane with such a hole.

Accessories, or at least common accessories ought to be accepted as being "authentic for period" at the very least. Without that, it would be like assessing points against
an MGB or TR6 for having the very common and well known luggage rack on the
trunk lid.
That Concourse stuff is not for me, I want a Car that I can use and enjoy, although of course I do my best to look after Her.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 11-05-2014 at 04:40 PM.
paulyling (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 06:40 AM
Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

So that would also explain my confusion with watching the White XJS in Return of the Saint. That one had no badge because they didnt start putting them on until 1982. (Penny drops)

I'm currently watching the series at the moment. It is very British he he he he
Although the pre HEs used in The Return of the Saint had no growler you may notice that one of the (3) cars used had a leaper fitted. Watch the episode in the small Italian village and in one scene you will see a small leaper fitted at the back of the bonnet in front on the wiper grille.
Regards
David

The following 2 users liked this post by jag_sticker:
orangeblossom (11-05-2014), paulyling (11-05-2014)

Quick Reply: Leaping Jaguar Hood Ornament aftermarket on XJS?