Looking for V12 Head Puller / Removal Tool

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 09:58 AM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts
Default Looking for V12 Head Puller / Removal Tool

Name:  headtool1.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  76.3 KB

I planned to build my own head removal tool but I thought I would check with you guys first to see if any of you have one for sale.

If you do please shoot me a PM and let me know how much you are asking and shipping cost to 80227.

Thanks!

Mark

Old 11-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

what do they look like?

Old 11-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

Someone on the forum has one. Wait and they will come along. I think he rents it with a deposit. Not sure.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jonathan-W
what do they look like?
There are a few different styles but the single plate is the most common.

Take a look at this video and you can see how it works;

Old 11-12-2014, 07:14 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hmmm...doesn't look hard to make a head popper from that video. From the video, the board seems to be made of thick wood with red lacquer on it. The board appears to then be connected to the head via those bolts and nuts running down the center in two rows, with eye-hole bolts at two places in the middle for lifting the head off AFTER it's been popped off.

Here's what I'm unsure of. The actual separation is achieved via the bolts along the outside of the board being turned down against the head studs themselves. What I can't tell is how these outer bolts on the board are kept on the board and be ratcheted so they push down on the studs. My best guess is that nuts were possibly used on the underside of the board. These bolts also have the thread on the bolt-head side, which makes me wonder if the board is made of metal with threaded holes.

Still, looks like a doable piece you might be able to make with some modifications if need be. After all, making your own tools just so you can do your own repairs are part of the joy of being a proud Jaguar owner, right?

Old 11-12-2014, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Eskr
Hmmm...doesn't look hard to make a head popper from that video. From the video, the board seems to be made of thick wood with red lacquer on it. The board appears to then be connected to the head via those bolts and nuts running down the center in two rows, with eye-hole bolts at two places in the middle for lifting the head off AFTER it's been popped off.

Here's what I'm unsure of. The actual separation is achieved via the bolts along the outside of the board being turned down against the head studs themselves. What I can't tell is how these outer bolts on the board are kept on the board and be ratcheted so they push down on the studs. My best guess is that nuts were possibly used on the underside of the board. These bolts also have the thread on the bolt-head side, which makes me wonder if the board is made of metal with threaded holes.

Still, looks like a doable piece you might be able to make with some modifications if need be. After all, making your own tools just so you can do your own repairs are part of the joy of being a proud Jaguar owner, right?

I dont think it is wood. All of them I have seen are 1/2" to 1" steel plate.

The outer holes in the plate are threaded and the screws push against the head studs. The inner holes are not threaded. The cam studs come up through those holes and the plate is attached with the cam stud nuts.

The plate is not too difficult to make but it would would probably take me half a day of cutting, drilling and tapping. Just thought I could save some time if I could buy one already made.