XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Lucas single coil conversion - tech bulletin?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 10:39 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Lucas single coil conversion - tech bulletin?

I'm trying to get my '85 XJS smogged so I can register it in California. Finding anyone that will even test it has been quite a chore... long story.

At my last attempt, the tech told me that he couldn't test it because the ignition had been modified. I have replaced the original dual coil setup with the single coil setup. It is an aftermarket version of the DAC6093 which is what I understand is the recommended "stock" replacement.

If I have to go back to the dual coil setup I will, but I'd rather stick with what I have. It works fine and I'm not at all excited about dumping more money in to this thing... I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever get past the smog techs.

Anyway, I haven't seen or found a tech bulletin that puts Jaguar's stamp of approval on the change. If I can support the change as official then I might be able to get it to pass. If not... I suppose I'll buy two more coils. Glad I kept the wiring between them.

Also glad I didn't move the ignition amp to the front as many have done.

I'm also getting a lot of flak for my rebuilt ignition harness - the wiring is clearly not stock since I did it myself - but that's another issue... I digress.

So... is it an official mod or simply something that works well and makes sense?

Old 05-25-2014, 11:06 AM
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

California smog?
Ya, hate it to death! But we ARE lucky compared to the family who have to have a MOT and such! Counting my blessings!
I found 1 "one", shop in my area that would test mine. I was lucky enough to find him, as he "fiddled" with things to make it pass. He loves Jags.
Call around and ask questions. Your mod is common sence, but illegal by the book. If you tape a leaky vaccume line, you will fail!
Its nucking futs here, but we live here and "have to follow the rules", CARB can kiss my b*^£t!
Like I said, just glad we dont have vehicle inspections like others on this forum! Id go postal!

Old 05-25-2014, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

I *think* I have a Jag bulletin showing the change. It'll take some time to find it. I'll see what I can do. I have a couple CDs with tons of bulletins....but they're not categorized or indexed....

Not sure if it would help but some of the parts vendors show the change but I'm not sure if that will be 'official' enough

Cheers
DD

Old 05-25-2014, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Jaguar Classic Parts shows the DAC6093 as being correct and applicable here:

Ignition Coils and Amplifier - Parts For XJS from (V)139052 to (V)179736 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Cheers
DD

Old 05-25-2014, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Click on item #1 and drill down

Cheers
DD

Old 05-25-2014, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,906 Likes on 1,661 Posts

I don't understand this by the book nonsense regarding smog testing.
Surely the whole point of the exercise is to limit the amount of noxious crud that comes out of your tail pipes, according to local requirements; what difference does it make how you achieve it?
If you can reduce your smog emissions to zero by installing a washing machine, fridge freezer and a bucket of dilithium cyrstals then who the hell can say that is the wrong way to do it?
My Subaru passed its emissions test with flying colours despite missing a catalyst.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Received 91 Likes on 66 Posts

I went to speedy oil in Folsom off of Folsom blvd.
the older guy worked on jags years ago and passed 86xjs didn't even notice the missing air rails and it even blew a coolant hose wher I was there lol. take it there.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Steve M
I don't understand this by the book nonsense regarding smog testing.
Surely the whole point of the exercise is to limit the amount of noxious crud that comes out of your tail pipes, according to local requirements; what difference does it make how you achieve it?
If you can reduce your smog emissions to zero by installing a washing machine, fridge freezer and a bucket of dilithium cyrstals then who the hell can say that is the wrong way to do it?
My Subaru passed its emissions test with flying colours despite missing a catalyst.

I agree. It should 'tailpipe test' only....and in some areas that's how they do it. Who cares what equipment is/is not in place if the car passes?

Here in the USA emissions testing procedures and requirements vary a great deal from state-to-state and even county-to-county within the states. In some cases it is highly politicized and highly commercialized. Some areas (mine, for one) don't have any testing at all. None.

California has always been ...um....er.....a special case regarding emissions issues. I lived there 29 years and was happy to put it all behind me when I moved away!

Cheers
DD

Old 05-25-2014, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member

'California has always been ...um....er.....a special case regarding emissions issues. I lived there 29 years and was happy to put it all behind me when I moved away!'

Very diplomatically put, are you a politician? Presumably the 'it all' that was behind you when you left was a large cloud of exhaust smoke.
What is it about California anyway, there have been a few negative comments on these forums? Over here in Damp Land the perception is of sunny skies, scantily clad pretty girls on roller skates with little doggies everywhere, large oily men on the beach waving their pecs at you, everybody driving convertibles: is this not the case? I think we should be told.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

California has all those things, and more. And don't forget that nobody there has to work....they just sit around the pool all day long, under palm trees, eating oranges and listening to old Beach Boys tunes

It really IS a fabulous place to live in many respects. But it has problems and bad things as well, like any other state. It isn't all a giant bowl of cherries.

Some of the negative remarks probably stem from California's notorious love affair with legislation. I used to joke that California had a law for everything, even covering when you can blow your nose. I'm more on the left-ish side of the political spectrum, mind you, and even I had to shake my head !

I'll leave it at that, as political talk has a way of ruining everyone's fun. Ive surely said too much already

Cheers
DD

Old 05-25-2014, 08:05 PM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

The guy at the smog shop I always use told me he can no longer smog and register your car, give you your sticker, because the state said he wasn't failing enough vehicles............figure that one out.

I like living in sunny CA, but they make it tough.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chrisjbell
Anyway, I haven't seen or found a tech bulletin that puts Jaguar's stamp of approval on the change. If I can support the change as official then I might be able to get it to pass. If not... I suppose I'll buy two more coils. Glad I kept the wiring between them.

"May 1989
Ref JD 07/89

Item 18

A new single solid state igntion col and king lead assembly with improved high load performance characteristics have been progressively introduced on S. III V12 models from engine number 7P 62208 SA."

Blah blah blah

It doesn't actually say anything about retro-fitting nor does it mention "XJS".

If you think it'll help I'll send you a copy. PM me with address. My scanner hasn't worked in years so I'd have to snail mail.

The previous info from the JHDT Part Catalog might be more useful. Or, both documents together might be good, too.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-25-2014, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,935 Likes on 5,285 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry

[...]the state said he wasn't failing enough vehicles........[...]

Oh so now they have a quota!!
That explains quite a lot actually!

If it wasn't for the lousy weather, the terrible roads, the desperate economy, the dearth of services, the isolation and a few other things, I might consider going back to Montana!

Naa. I would Never get to drive my Jaguar if I did that.
(';')

Old 05-26-2014, 07:15 AM
Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Firstly, you must be joking with the laws, what the hell is changing the coil got to do with emission control, We strive to make our cars better and more efficient, which means less emissions in the end. Sorry don,t understand their logic.
I too have read somewhere about the replacement part number for the coil, jaguar recommends the use of the single low impedance coil, but where did I read it? I have in inclining that it maybe either on Jaglovers or in Kirby's book but I distinctly recall reading partxxxx has been replaced with partxxxx.
I too have done this mod and I keep recommending it, much better than the old twin coil.
Good Luck

Old 05-26-2014, 10:56 AM

Its about politics, money and control. Frosts my butt!
If you have a blown, alcohol carbed 500cc motor on nitrous, and it sniffs well, why not! Thats the goal right?
Evidently not!
California is great!
The money grabbing political crap is NOT! We are driving bussnesses out every day!
Like I said, it makes me nucking futs!
Im with Doug, if I diddnt own my house oughtright, and have a great job, Id bail!
O.K., I feel better. Off my soap box now.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Katoh
Firstly, you must be joking with the laws, what the hell is changing the coil got to do with emission control, We strive to make our cars better and more efficient, which means less emissions in the end. Sorry don,t understand their logic.

Remove the politics (and associated emotions, extremism, ballyhooing, money, special interests, etc) and I'm quite sure they could come up with some sensible, logical legislation that everyone could live with! I could spend a few hours on this subject but, being the merciful type, I'll refrain

I too have read somewhere about the replacement part number for the coil, jaguar recommends the use of the single low impedance coil, but where did I read it? I have in inclining that it maybe either on Jaglovers or in Kirby's book but I distinctly recall reading partxxxx has been replaced with partxxxx.

Yeah, everyone knows that it's an acceptable change. It's a matter of producing some sort of documentation that looks official enough to satisfy the inspector.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-26-2014, 11:45 AM

Gotta admire your restraint Doug! Its nuts now! Cant have plastic bags anymore, and a non elected official created a "carbon" tax, because "we need to feel the pain". Not my words.
I consider myself scolded!

Old 05-26-2014, 02:14 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, that's pretty much what I found. Doug, pm sent, thanks.

Yes, the way the smog stuff is implemented in CA is nutty. The rules say that you can't change *anything* that may impact smog and they even go so far as to legislate that on an engine rebuild that you have to use stock or EO (executive order - state approved) parts including pistons. For real, pistons are specifically mentioned.

The weather and the natural wonders in CA are the big draws. I don't have a problem with making a car run cleanly but the way they implement the rules... I bet the new car makers love it, dealers love it since you either have to buy new vehicles or at least stock parts to bring / keep a car in compliance.

I'm confident my car will pass the actual test. The trick will be getting to that point. I may head over to Folsom - it's a bit of a trot but I've already tried a bunch of places. I'm doing the pre-test in every case so I don't get tagged as a GP (gross polluter - look it up, it's painful).

If only they'd just stick it on a sniffer and have done with it. That they don't just do that tells me there's a lot more going on than simple concern for the environment.

Thanks for all the input. I'll update the thread when I have more news. Might be a bit before I get to it. Fortunately, this isn't my daily driver... if it was I'd be forced to get rid of it. Stay tuned...

Old 05-26-2014, 03:12 PM

Pistons?
Thats new to me!
What next?
They gonna check my rectum for **** hygiene violations?
Sorry, couldn't resist!

Old 05-26-2014, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

Ah yes, the fart test; just hope that you don't suffer from blow-by.

Quick Reply: Lucas single coil conversion - tech bulletin?