XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Mechanic Pricing advice/Almost Road ready

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 07:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Mechanic Pricing advice/Almost Road ready

Not sure if most are familar with my posts but I've been getting work done at a few different shops year by year as to not make it as costly and to feel out different shops to see who I want taking care of my new baby. haha

After getting fitted with a new ECU last year summer and putting in a new custom exhaust, I just took care of all the suspension and spngy brake issues that were lingering with a new mechanic. So far he communicates very well and seems easy to deal with.

Car is finally ready to drive safely and enjoy as he test drove it yesterday however one issue is still lingering.

This is mainly for folks that have used shops in the NYC area or went to the dealership and know area pricing. I am set to pick the car up tomorrow and test drive it however I wanted some input on pricing.

This is what was done and what I'm being charged for. Each amount includes parts and labor.

$1100 Tune up and fuel injection service
$74.9 Oil and fluids change
$900.00 Complete replacement of both control arm bushings, Ball Joints(Lower and Upper) & Shock absorber bushings
$395 Front brakes and rotors

Everything seems fair there.

Finally when I purchased the car, I knew that the AC was completely broken.

The mechanic charged it last week and while it worked for a week, it stopped working again once he finished the other work and test drove it. He stated that the car needed a new GM Harrison AC compressor that would cost about $400.

The car's cooling will then need to be flushed and recharged with a different type of freeon.

I can't remember which one it is but I remember reading that this is something that would need to be done when replacing an old compressor. He wants $700 for labor on this although he doesn't need to remove the dashboard as the compressor is in the engine compartment.

So far I have about $2600 worth of work done. With the AC work, it will be close to $3700.

From reasearch I've done in the past on what I new the car needed done, the prices seem consistent with what parts and labor should go for.

Anything that sticks out to anyone as being an overcharge from what I listed above? The mechanic seems like an honest one with a nice looking shop however it doesn't hurt to get second opinions. Every penny counts and since I live in Manhattan there is no way I can learn to work on the car myself.

I knew the AC servicing might be expensive but $700 to change a compressor, flush the system and replace the freeon seems a slightly steep.

With the work I new the car needed done I knew I might be looking at a $3K bill but the extra $700 hurts a little. lol

Any help is appreciated!!

Old 06-03-2015, 07:55 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

I guess it all depends on the parts being used.

The oil change sounds right for the 10.5 quarts your engine will need, as well as a new filter. Obviously not using synthetic...not that you necessarily need to. That's a fair price.

I don't know enough about what goes into a tune up, so I'll pass on that.

New OEM ball joints will get you to $400, add another $100 for both control arm bushings. The shock absorber bushings don't cost much at all, maybe $20 for all four, but it would be interesting to know if they changed the lower top shock bushing or not. Basically add 2 hours labor for each side...that's reasonable...assuming they're using OEM parts. Aftermarket and you're getting hosed. You could probably acquire aftermarket ball joints for $100 altogether. Control arm bushings could be had for $40 for both..

Now if he included lower control arm bushings, you are good...actually doing great.

Tough to say on brakes without knowing what parts he gave you.

Again, all depends on quality of parts.

The following users liked this post:
BadKat174 (06-03-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 08:02 PM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

The AC will require a new dryer too. Price isn't too out of line, I don't think. Not cheap, though.
Cheers, RagJag

The following users liked this post:
BadKat174 (06-03-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 10:18 PM

Hey man, thanks for the quick and detailed response. Another reason why I love this site and forum.

When I first spoke to him and brought the car in the shop he did mention that he prefers to use all OEM parts on all repairs and replacements.

He also gives out a pretty good warranty which is a year I believe.

I'll definitely checking out the type of parts he gave me before I decide to give him anymore business on the AC.

Thanks again for the suggestion! Didn't think of asking this when I spoke to him about pricing and the lower control arm bushings.

Originally Posted by Vee
I guess it all depends on the parts being used.

The oil change sounds right for the 10.5 quarts your engine will need, as well as a new filter. Obviously not using synthetic...not that you necessarily need to. That's a fair price.

I don't know enough about what goes into a tune up, so I'll pass on that.

New OEM ball joints will get you to $400, add another $100 for both control arm bushings. The shock absorber bushings don't cost much at all, maybe $20 for all four, but it would be interesting to know if they changed the lower top shock bushing or not. Basically add 2 hours labor for each side...that's reasonable...assuming they're using OEM parts. Aftermarket and you're getting hosed. You could probably acquire aftermarket ball joints for $100 altogether. Control arm bushings could be had for $40 for both..

Now if he included lower control arm bushings, you are good...actually doing great.

Tough to say on brakes without knowing what parts he gave you.

Again, all depends on quality of parts.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:21 PM

Thanks for the heads up about the dryer. I'll def ask about this and research it a bit before I hit the shop tomorrow.

Originally Posted by RagJag
The AC will require a new dryer too. Price isn't too out of line, I don't think. Not cheap, though.
Cheers, RagJag