XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

More alternator issues and Quest?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 06:56 PM
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Default More alternator issues and Quest?

My meter is reading 11 volts after start up. Then after 1 or 2 miles of driving I get a loud clicking or clanking noise and the meter jumps up to 14. Then everything is usually ok, around 13 or 14 for rest of drive.

What do you guys think, just replace/rebuild the alternator? I've never had a car that made this kind of sound from the alternator. It can be heard above the Radio. Anyone know the cause?

Thanks...Jimmy

Old 03-07-2017, 11:14 PM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

Even tho it is a rebuilt one, could be the bearings, or something else inside, sometimes a bad one makes it thru the rebuild process. I have one I put on a while back, and same thing on start up, 13V and when I rev up the engine/motor it jumps to 14V, I need to check mine, another thing is the connections are lose, or it could be the wrong amperage. But the loud clicking does not sound right. Hopefully one of the more experienced members will hop on and give their input

Old 03-08-2017, 07:15 AM

I don't think it's rebuilt, it looks original. I just don't know what on an alternator can make a sound like that. The noise only happens one time and from then on it works fine.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:20 AM
Received 10,292 Likes on 6,811 Posts

Stab in the dark, and its very late here.

The nut on the front is not tight, so the fan and pulley are slipping around.

The rubber dampened V pulley of the crankshaft has delaminated, and rattling around, and eventually it finds its "spot" and shuts up. This is the rear most V, and only drives the alternator.

Inside that front crank pulley is a tapered cone, they break, and 2 Woodruff keys, they shear, and they will/can make a terrible noise, but its generally a deep "thonk" type noise.

Told ya its late. I will dream about it and see what gives in the morning.

The following users liked this post:
JayCee (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Four thoughts.

1. I think Grant is on to a definite possible.

2. Remove the drive belt. Fire it up. Same noise? If so, not the alternator.

3. Now still with the belt off and the engine not running. Turn the alternator by hand.
Anything short of a free smooth spin denotes internal mechanical issues.

4. But, not always!! Way back, circa 1968, wifey decided she wanted to drive. Try as hard as shew could, the four on the floor Corvair Monza was beyond her. We went shopping and found a really nice 65 Monza on the used lot of the local GM dealer.
But, as it developed, odd things kept popping up. The drive train and ancillaries were far more experienced than the rest of the car!!! The alternator just quit. I removed it and because of innate curiousity, took it apart. Wear everywhere. Way beyond anything I'd ever seen. Swapped for a rebuild. That part OK. but many more issues followed !!

Carl

JayCee (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 02:20 PM

Thanks....guys I will check the pulley. What bothers me is that it only does it once and then the alternator starts working fine. It is definitely the alternator, and only the pulley or something associated with the pulley could make that loud a sound.

I'll keep looking...Jimmy

Old 03-08-2017, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

As it was late when Grant posted, I noticed your car is a 6.0L

This car will have a ribbed belt for the Alternator and Jaguar did away with the cone and dual woodruff keys on the damper and went to a Chevy style push on.

With the car cold loosen the alternator belt enough to slip it off then spin the alternator pulley by hand to see if there is any binding or sideways movement.

The following 2 users liked this post by warrjon:
Grant Francis (03-18-2017), JayCee (03-09-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by warrjon
As it was late when Grant posted, I noticed your car is a 6.0L

This car will have a ribbed belt for the Alternator and Jaguar did away with the cone and dual woodruff keys on the damper and went to a Chevy style push on.

With the car cold loosen the alternator belt enough to slip it off then spin the alternator pulley by hand to see if there is any binding or sideways movement.
I read in Kirby that the tension from the ribbed belt can cause the damper to break up? Do you know if the push on style was used as soon as the ribbed pulley or could it have come slightly later (after problems arose)

Thanks...Jim

Last edited by JayCee; 03-14-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:38 AM

I did a little further research and found that the ribbed pulley can break loose from the damper. Not uncommon evidently!

According to Kirby it usually will cause a squeal, that sounds like a loose belt. I don't see how this could make the "mechanical" noise that I am hearing. I will start by marking the pulleys and then see if they have slipped after a drive.

The alternator would be easier and cheaper...Oh Well!

Cheers...Jimmy

Old 03-14-2017, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

Jaguar went to the ribbed belt with the change to 110amp alternator, my 89 has the ribbed belt.

My car has 260000km on it and the damper pulley has never been off and if it were loose the timing would be all over the place with the Marelli ignition. All 5.3L engines had the cone setup for the damper. The snout was changed on the 6.0L and is larger in diameter for the slip on damper.

Over tightening of the belt is probably the largest cause of the pulley breaking away, ribbed belts have less stretch than V belts.

Before you replace anything remove the belt from the alternator and spin the alternator pulley by hand to see if there is any binding, if the belt has been over tightened then this could damage the alternator bearings.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:28 PM
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

[QUOTE=Grant Francis;1634669]Stab in the dark, and its very late here.

Inside that front crank pulley is a tapered cone, they break, and 2 Woodruff keys, they shear, and they will/can make a terrible noise, but its generally a deep "thonk" type noise.

The 6.0 liter did not use a tapered cone. It used a straight walled ( for want of a better term) bushing. If you are R and R the pulley, you will find the stock bolt is too short. I bought a longer one at the hardware store and used it to push the pulley down enough to use the stock bolt.

JayCee (03-19-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 07:05 PM

Actually the 94 has a 120 Bosch alternator and the tapered cone was no longer used. Also the timing was no longer effected by a loose pulley.

I just took a drive after marking the pulleys with some white paint. The paint is no longer aligned, therefore the pulley is slipping on the damper. So now I have a big repair ahead of me, and have to figure out where to get a good pulley/damper.

Thanks...Jimmy

Old 03-14-2017, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

You're right I just went and looked at my 6.0L damper (sitting on my bench) the timing ring is fixed to the inner part of the damper so it can not move.

It will be the out part of the damper that is loose, the rubber has broken. If I were you I would try and find someone who rebuilds dampers and have yours rebuilt.

JayCee (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 09:13 PM

I found 3 places that rebuild dampers so far.

damperdoctor
damperdudez
HDamper

Anyone have experience with these?

...Jimmy

Old 03-15-2017, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

I've heard good things about Damperdoctor; never used them.

I've used Dale Manufacturing several times with excellent results.

new home page H.B.

Don't be put-off by the unglamorous web page.

Cheers
DD

JayCee (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
I've heard good things about Damperdoctor; never used them.

I've used Dale Manufacturing several times with excellent results.

new home page H.B.

Don't be put-off by the unglamorous web page.

Cheers
DD
Doug....you've used Dale several times? Is that on different cars or have you had issues on same car?

I have to admit that with all the years I have been working on cars, I have never had to replace one. Not looking forward to it. I would love to hear if you have any "tips / tricks".

Thanks...Jimmy

Old 03-15-2017, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by JayCee
Doug....you've used Dale several times? Is that on different cars or have you had issues on same car?

Different cars, one being my X300/XJR

I have to admit that with all the years I have been working on cars, I have never had to replace one. Not looking forward to it. I would love to hear if you have any "tips / tricks".

Thanks...Jimmy
[/quote]

If you can't break the damper bolt free by hand you can use the torque of the starter motor to do so. More on that later

Cheers
DD

JayCee (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

The front damper bolt isn't actuall tight. BUT the damper itself is tightly pressed on. You'll want a puller tool. The AJV8 crank pulley removal tool just fits... Only just I used that.

JayCee (03-15-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 02:25 PM

After removing the alternator belt, the alternator crank pulley can be wiggled by hand. So it is definitely bad and will be sent off for rebuild.

Anyone have suggestions for safely cleaning/degreasing an alternator?

Thanks...Jimmy

Old 03-18-2017, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

Alts are pretty robust, I use Kerosene watered down and with a drop or 2 of liquid soap.

The thing that kills alternators is oil buildup not allowing it keep cool.

JayCee (03-19-2017)