XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

My "final" two projects, any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My "final" two projects, any advice?

My beautiful 1987 XJS has two "final" issues (obviously, the job never 'ends').

I'm wondering if has anyone any tips for:

ONE: I need a new gas tank. I tried to repair mine, and it's been too much work. It still reeks of gasoline, and sometimes the stuff I used to fix it clogs the fuel system.

So, any places that will refurbish a tank on the cheap? Or better yet, sell me a new one cheap too? I'm not interested in dropping $1000 on tank when I got the car for $700. Also, any ideas, things I might not be thinking of? Like a different type of tank? Any alternatives?

TWO: I need to put in a new TH400. Mine refuses to reverse anymore. This I need more advice on. I know you need to remove the casing and put the guts of the trans into to make a switch, has anyone have tips on this? Advice? And again, anywhere that I could get one cheaper? Some run on Craigslist pretty cheap, but again, I might not be thinking of something, like a junkyard hunt down?

Basically: Any tips for a gas tank and trans swap?

Thanks, Sledge.

Also, this-

Old 03-17-2013, 07:18 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Where is quakertown? I have an 88 that I will be scrapping soon that has a great tank and TH400 in Huntsville AL.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,747 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Sledgehorn

So, any places that will refurbish a tank on the cheap?

Radiator shops often do gas tank repairs as well. Might be worth a couple calls.

How/where is the tank leaking?

Looks like Oddrods has a good tank for sale. That'd be easy :-)

TWO: I need to put in a new TH400. Mine refuses to reverse anymore. This I need more advice on. I know you need to remove the casing and put the guts of the trans into to make a switch, has anyone have tips on this? Advice?

I don't understand what you've said. Are you talking about taking the guts out of an ordinary TH400 and putting them into your Jaguar TH400?

Labor wise, that amounts to the same thing as a transmission overhaul.....but with used parts instead of new parts. That wouldn't make sense.

And again, anywhere that I could get one cheaper? Some run on Craigslist pretty cheap, but again, I might not be thinking of something, like a junkyard hunt down?

A Jaguar TH400 may not be that easy to find (unless you buy Oddrod's) plus, with *any* used transmission, there's the risk of getting one that's no better than what you have and/or on its last legs.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

I have fantastic TH400 at my warehouse, it just came off my XJS and to make way to 5-speed manual, so no stories here, $300 + shipping.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Oddrods
Where is quakertown? I have an 88 that I will be scrapping soon that has a great tank and TH400 in Huntsville AL.
Unfortunately, Quakertown is in Pennsylvania, were a solid dual digit hour drive apart on I-95 ... and I'm not really quite sure how shipping a transmission and gas tank even works.

---

And to clear up the "guts" statement, I read somewhere that you can't just take a TH400 trans from another car and just bolt it to your Jaguar. You need to remove the Jaguars TH400, open up the casing, take whats inside out, and then put the other TH400's insides in the case ... You know, just to be difficult I suppose.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:50 PM

And in regard as to where and how it is leaking, it's pretty much leaking towards the back from what I can tell.

It always reeks of gasoline, we tried to patch it with sheet metal, covered the inside with a special coating, and even an extra layer of a special epoxy on the outside. It's gotten to the point where it's just too much a liability to continue to mess with honestly.