XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

My 'new' XJ-S 1977

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 04:40 AM
Received 264 Likes on 178 Posts
Default My 'new' XJ-S 1977

Hi all

This is my first post on this forum. I will therefore present my cars here.

The XJ6 3.2 (XJ40) 1992 was my first Jaguar, bought in 2005 and still running pretty strong after having done 90.000 miles in my ownership and ODO 170.000 miles. Lovely classy and smooth ride.

The Citroën 2CV6 1975 is my first car, bought in 1984 !
Extremely basic and very rudimentary, but as simple as a bicycle and therefore it's possible to keep it running forever with DYI maintenance.

Then there is our daily drive. Currently a small Alfa Romeo Mito QV, but that is about to change into something more basic. The Alfa requires too much attention and repairs...

We found the XJ-S 1977, that we have just bought, in October last year. It drove very well, good power, good handling.
Wife didn't like the amount of patina and especially detoriated external rubber and worn out seats, but a price reduction from the seller last week made us take the leap into V12 ownership.
The car had a thorough rebuild in 1989 including a transplant of engine, gearbox and diff from an HE, but the rest of the car is kept preHE. Owned by same family 19897-2012 !

The reason for choosing a car this old is mainly the tax scheme in Denmark. Road tax and insurance is reduced to around 25% for cars 35+ years old. We of course also like the look and feel of an oldie like this

The to-do list currently contains the following points:

No heat. The fault finding has started. Heater valve works, but I suspect my MkI servo unit is failing. LO speed fan also fails. A/C works though !
Cracked fan. It will just get a new black one along with belts and hub.
Ignition advance system inspection. It just might be seized...
Right rear wheel arch has a rusty section at the front. Not bad, but on the other hand it needs some new steel before it's OK
Seats needs rebuild of cushions. New diaphragm and paddings. I will avoid changing the complete cushion as a new piece of seating would look odd along with the patina on the rest.
Rubber seals at rear ligths must be changed as they are flapping around.
Bumpers need some work to look good, but I'm not sure if I will have to change a lot.
Car came on Wolfrace wheels, but the Kent alloys are there as well. I want them on the car

Old 05-04-2016, 07:12 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

Welcome.

Well done on that XJ-S.

Now seriously, that 2CV, maaaaaaaate, that is sooooo special, it should be the pride of the fleet behind the Jag of course.

My cousin has one. He stole it in 1971 for $400, NO idea what year it is, and it still carts him anywhere in Australia he feels the need to go. He is an artist, so strange wanderings are the norm. He likes the fact there is no water pump, radiator, etc to go wrong, it just chugs away and keeps on keeping on.

When time permits, please do an intro in the "New members area".

Post any questions etc in the XJ-S section, and ALWAYS remember to state it has the HE engine. Just helps us oldies a tad.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Some people like to crap on the 2CV but I find it incredibly interesting and endearing, maybe this is how people feel when they like vw beetles?

Early XJSs are always really interesting but I imagine sometimes a pain to keep up with inconsistencies in parts used.

Did you feel the hoses of your heater? After all this time, perhaps the heater core is simply clogged.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:53 PM

Hi Grant and Sidescrollin

Thanks for your welcome

I have put the HE/GM400 in my signature. I understand it's quite important to mention, and I will try to remember it in my posts as well, when it matters for my question.

Regarding the heater: Hoses at the heater valve get warm pretty fast, so I believe there is flow. The LO setting not working must be a blown resistor pack like in any car fan only working at max.

The Kents are arrived today, and at least the one I unwrapped looks fine

Funny how the 2CV also gets attention online. I use it a lot, and it's always collecting smiles. Just like the Jags by the way

I could use input on seat restauration. As I understand it I most likely needs a new rubber diaphragm and for sure new foam padding. Any ideas how to source a diaphragm, that can be used ? The foam must be easy to find in generic shapes.

I have ordered the Big Green Book from Brooklands and hope to find detailed descriptions there. Haynes came with the car, but is as always a help, but again not really a help...

Old 05-05-2016, 02:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Originally Posted by leo_denmark
I could use input on seat restauration. As I understand it I most likely needs a new rubber diaphragm and for sure new foam padding. Any ideas how to source a diaphragm, that can be used ? The foam must be easy to find in generic shapes.
Welcome Leo. great purchase, have fun fixing it and then driving it. Fix everything, steadily working though it all, (rad clean, new hoses, suspension overhaul, shocks if needed, brake overhaul, clean all the chassis earths, get all the heater and aircon working, new plugs and leads and distributor cap maybe, distributor lube lubrication etc , and then you will have a superb car.
If you do not already know about it, download the Kirbert Palm book from Jaglovers and read it all carefully before you start.
http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/
Seats: You will need the seat diaphragms and the foam. The seats you have are the early ones, so you need this type of diaphragm (though the later ones can be made to fit, I have done it.
JAGUAR XJS SEAT DIAPHRAGM - EARLY | eBay
I think they may have foams as well, but again, it is the earlier sort you need. The diaphragms are very hard to get, so I would buy them, if funds allow, as soon as you can.

If Shogun do not have the foams, then these people "Black Country Jaguar" have loads of genuine jaguar XJS seats and stuff (the link is just an example) so it is worth contacting them to ask if they have a seat bottom, you would have to buy the whole thing, leather and all, ready to fit; but then you can easily dye the leather to the colour you need.
Jaguar XJS RH Frt seat Squab Assemblys All Colours BCC3014 | eBay
The seat must be removed from the car (four bolts one each end of the runners, move the seat forward and back to get access to the. The nuts the bolts go into are NOT captive, so ensure you get them out, and the have to be held in place with a finger to reattach the seatbolt!

Then unclip the leather edges from the seat bottom and the leather can be CAREFULLY pulled off the old foam, allowing you to change the diaphragm and the foam. The leather can tear easily, so soaping it up with a reconditioner before you start is a good plan.

Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 05-05-2016 at 02:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
leo_denmark (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 06:15 AM

Thanks Greg

I have downloaded Kirby's book, read the first 300 pages on iPad and now printed it.

Thanks a lot for both the general advice and the specific on seats