XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

mystery wire, ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 01:47 AM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts
Default mystery wire, ?

when doing the wireing on my XJS I came across this wire, it did not seem to be hooked up to anything. I know cars of old had extra wire in the looms because of the other cars they were used in, could this be the case? its on the drivers side fender near the brake booster

Old 12-11-2014, 01:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,087 Likes on 5,351 Posts

Best to be sure it is not connected to anything. if you remove the splash baffle in the wheelarch you can have a proper look.

Congrats on the rotor!
Greg

Old 12-11-2014, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Best to be sure it is not connected to anything. if you remove the splash baffle in the wheelarch you can have a proper look.

Congrats on the rotor!
Greg

I thought of doing that, just thought by chance someone may know, guess I will go your suggested route, Thanks
Do you by change know the thickness of the felt oil pad for the distributor, mine is missing and can't seem to find what thickness it should be

Last edited by daverb; 12-11-2014 at 03:30 AM. Reason: add a question
Old 12-11-2014, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,087 Likes on 5,351 Posts

Originally Posted by daverb
I thought of doing that, just thought by chance someone may know, guess I will go your suggested route, Thanks
Do you by change know the thickness of the felt oil pad for the distributor, mine is missing and can't seem to find what thickness it should be
Which model do you have? Not a bad idea to put it into your signature. If you mean for the machined round hole on the top of the LUCAS HE dizzy spindle, none were fitted OEM. Not a bad idea to put one in though, a little rolled up piece of shirt material cotton will do, just keep it a tiny bit lower than the spindle top, and nicely jammed in, then a few drops if oil.

Concerning the mystery wires, I took a look at my car, and I have the same wires. I think they are connected to the blue relay-like thing on the wing loom nearby (actually a diode pack) and if so, may well be part of either the aux fan system or the headlamp wiper system. As far as I can see, I am not sure they do come out behind the baffle. I think they might run forward to the front of the chassis rail they disappear into. My rebuild pics do not show them emerging into the space behind the wheel. Sorry I cannot be more help
Greg

Old 12-12-2014, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Which model do you have? Not a bad idea to put it into your signature. If you mean for the machined round hole on the top of the LUCAS HE dizzy spindle, none were fitted OEM. Not a bad idea to put one in though, a little rolled up piece of shirt material cotton will do, just keep it a tiny bit lower than the spindle top, and nicely jammed in, then a few drops if oil.

Concerning the mystery wires, I took a look at my car, and I have the same wires. I think they are connected to the blue relay-like thing on the wing loom nearby (actually a diode pack) and if so, may well be part of either the aux fan system or the headlamp wiper system. As far as I can see, I am not sure they do come out behind the baffle. I think they might run forward to the front of the chassis rail they disappear into. My rebuild pics do not show them emerging into the space behind the wheel. Sorry I cannot be more help
Greg

Hey, thanks, you have been a big help, thanks for your suggestions. Mine is a 84 XJS HE