XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

need input 1994 XJS

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need input 1994 XJS

I have three areas that input from those more experienced than I would be helpful:
1) where can one find new plastic headlight lens for a '94 XJS? Mine are cloudy and I'm not sure that they are cleanable (or are they?).
2) my radio quit after I jumped the battery to start the car...there is a 2 amp in-line fuse somewhere that I have reason to believe has 'popped'...I can't find it...can someone tell me where it is located? Hopefully I don't have to take the radio out to locate.
3) I have persistent hard starting issues when the engine is cold (even here in Florida)...it always takes two or more cranks to start, unless the engine is warm.
Any thoughts to help a novice...?
Thank you
Whit

Old 01-05-2014, 11:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the head light lens I can tell you you'll have to "hunt and peck" as I understand they are "supposed" to be a solid state unit and expensive. 550.00. I had they same problem and ended up finding a set on eBay they weren't cheap either about 300 for the set. Don't buy the glass ones they don't fit.

The fuse for the radio is 5amp and is located on drivers side cover. You have to pull it down and will expose a fuse box I "think" it was location 5. It just happened to me a few weeks ago.

Hard starting I can't help with sorry!

Old 01-05-2014, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by whitmcfarlin
I have three areas that input from those more experienced than I would be helpful:
1) where can one find new plastic headlight lens for a '94 XJS? Mine are cloudy and I'm not sure that they are cleanable (or are they?).
The headlamps are a single unit so you can change the bulb but not just the lens. When you say the lens is cloudy, is that on the inside or the outside? These headlamps are notorious for developing cracks that can let moisture in and condensate on the inside of the lens. Using your lights to dry them out helps and if you can find the crack you might be able to fill it.

If the cloudiness is on the outside which definitely happens with age, go to your local auto parts store and get a headlamp refurbishing kit. Usually it's some kind of polish/compound and a foam polishing ball that fits on a drill. These work very well and will improve the lighting capability of your lights considerably.

2) my radio quit after I jumped the battery to start the car...there is a 2 amp in-line fuse somewhere that I have reason to believe has 'popped'...I can't find it...can someone tell me where it is located? Hopefully I don't have to take the radio out to locate.
As Windcaper says the fuse for the radio is under the drivers side dash but it should be a 10A not 5A fuse, it is fuse number 5.

3) I have persistent hard starting issues when the engine is cold (even here in Florida)...it always takes two or more cranks to start, unless the engine is warm.
Any thoughts to help a novice...?
It could be a number of things, though 2 or 3 cranks is not unusual. Normally it is because the fuel rail has lost a little bit of pressure if the car has been parked for a while and it takes the fuel pump a few seconds to get things up to par. One thing you can try is to switch the ignition to position 2 for a few seconds (don't start the car), then back off. cycle it this way 2 or 3 times and then crank the engine. If it starts right away, the fuel pressure was probably the issue. Not a huge problem, but might indicate one of the check valves is leaking slightly.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:10 PM

Thanks to both Allan G and windcaper for the input...I'll check it out tomorrow.
I'm surprised that I can't just buy the plastic headlight covers and replace them without buying the whole headlight module.
whit

Old 01-05-2014, 07:06 PM
Received 142 Likes on 105 Posts

On my Chevy Tahoe, I had good results on the plastic headlights by first wet sanding them with 600 grit paper, then using a buffing wheel with turtle wax red buffing compound, followed by the white polishing compound, then Novus plastic polish, finally a coat of turtle wax. Prior to this the headlights were pretty useless, now work quite well. All the materials from the cabinet in my garage, total cost $0.
My 78 XJ-S has the sealed beams, I have not tried this on the Jag headlights.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:18 PM
Received 297 Likes on 189 Posts

Your in-line radio fuse is likely under the center console, just as it is in older models. You'll have to remove the top panel of your console to get at it.

Last edited by JagZilla; 01-05-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by Dleit53
On my Chevy Tahoe, I had good results on the plastic headlights by first wet sanding them with 600 grit paper, then using a buffing wheel with turtle wax red buffing compound, followed by the white polishing compound, then Novus plastic polish, finally a coat of turtle wax. Prior to this the headlights were pretty useless, now work quite well. All the materials from the cabinet in my garage, total cost $0.
My 78 XJ-S has the sealed beams, I have not tried this on the Jag headlights.
And I wouldn't because they are GLASS not plastic.

Also 2 cranks is not unusual for the V12. Mine always takes 4-5 seconds to fire when cold. I find if I turn the key and let the fuel pump stop then start it always fires quicker, it's a Jaguar it's supposed to be a little temperamental.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:17 AM

Agai9n...thanks to all...I will try the advice today and report back.
Whit