XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Needle in a Haystack: Hardtop for Jaguar XJ-SC Hess & Eisenhardt Convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 04:29 PM
Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Needle in a Haystack: Hardtop for Jaguar XJ-SC Hess & Eisenhardt Convertible?

Any idea where I can find a hardtop for a Jaguar XJ-SC (actually not Hess & Eisenhardt) Convertible? The plastic window for the soft top is hard to see through.

Last edited by Andreas Schmieg; 11-12-2016 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Learning more about the XJ-SC :-)
Old 11-12-2016, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Andreas,

I assume you mean an H&E convertible rather than an XJS-C (which is a completely different model)?

As you probably know, neither Jaguar nor H&E never made a hardtop for an XJS convertible. AFAIK, the only that ever tried to make a hardtop was Arden. The list price was 6000 euro!! I've never seen one fitted and never seen one for sale in 13 years.

If I was you I would get the window sorted. There are a number of companies who make liquid preparations to polish out the discolouration in plastic windows and can have very good results.

Good luck

Paul

Old 11-12-2016, 06:09 PM

The back of the car I am considering buying says XJ-SC. It is a targa convertible with solid sides. I saw a picture of a hard top for it on Google. I am trying to learn as much about it as I can before buying it. Weird, one website claims the XJ-SC was made by Hess & Eisenhardt, but then it is also available in the United Kingdom and Germany. Was it made by Jaguar directly? Here is a picture of an XJ-SC hardtop: http://www.jaguarclassifieds.org.uk/?page=cars&id=5393

Last edited by Andreas Schmieg; 11-12-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:37 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Not sure about a 1 piece hardtop for a Cabriolet, Arden made a couple of different styles in the past but I believe they were just for XJ-S's. The XJ-SC has a three piece hardtop so to speak. 2 removable panels over the drivers and passengers side seats, and a half shell on the rear, If the XJ-SC you are looking at has all original items, it should come with a removable soft top. In your first post, you mentioned Hess and Eisenhardt. They converted XJ-S's to convertible top just before the XJ-SC's were produced. You did not mention the MY of the Cabriolet, they were produced "86,87,88".
Good Luck
Johnny

Old 11-12-2016, 07:32 PM

Thank you! Now that I learned that the XJ-SC was actually made by Jaguar and not Hess & Eisenhardt, this doubles the likelyhood of me buying the car. Actual Hess & Eisenhardt convertibles get quite mixed reviews (rust, weights, gas smell, RUN!). Time to go to the bank and get this thing! I assume $4500 is reasonable for a running XJ-SC with low miles.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

I had seen a hardtop for the cabriolet listed on LA area CL almost a year ago. It replaces the folding part of the roof behind the targa area. I was looking for a hardtop for my '89 convertible. I wonder if a modern "Carson Top" could be built for a convertible.

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (11-18-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Originally Posted by Andreas Schmieg
Any idea where I can find a hardtop for a Jaguar XJ-SC (actually not Hess & Eisenhardt) Convertible? The plastic window for the soft top is hard to see through.
Hi Andreas

I know someone who may have just what you're looking for!

I'll send you a PM.

Greg in France (11-13-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 04:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

If the XJS Cabriolet (the Jaguar official name for the one you are looking at with the targa tops and the roof brace) is in good shape mechanically and rust-wise, they are a decent buy. Also, all the mechanics, door window mechanisms and glass, doors, fuel tank and system, etc are identical to the XJS HE coupe, so no worries or parts difficulties on that score either. Also, they are just about as rigid as the coupe, so no bod issues either. The hard top (which a someone said earlier, replaces the removable soft top back part), makes the car more usable in the winter, too. Depending upon the price that OB's friend can come up with. here is one on sale in the USA, pricey though, and far from perfect (see bottom RHS):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-XJS...oAAOSw-KFXcvp0

There is too, a site dedicated to the XJS Cabriolet: http://xjs-icr.com/
Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 11-13-2016 at 04:49 AM.
orangeblossom (11-13-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 09:23 AM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Here are a few photos showing the cabriolets hardtop and the soft top laying across the boot lid.

Attached Thumbnails Needle in a Haystack: Hardtop for Jaguar XJ-SC Hess & Eisenhardt Convertible?-dscn1785.jpg   Needle in a Haystack: Hardtop for Jaguar XJ-SC Hess & Eisenhardt Convertible?-dscn1786.jpg   Needle in a Haystack: Hardtop for Jaguar XJ-SC Hess & Eisenhardt Convertible?-dscn1787.jpg   Needle in a Haystack: Hardtop for Jaguar XJ-SC Hess & Eisenhardt Convertible?-dscn1788.jpg  
Old 11-13-2016, 11:28 PM
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Default XJSC Hardtop needed?? I have an extra one.....

I actually have an extra rear hardtop for XJSC cars, and actually have some extra T-tops as well. If you want one of these cars, it's a must to have a hard top for it.

If you are still looking for a top, send me a PM....

I am near San Francisco and this could be shipped....

The following 3 users liked this post by XJsc-guy:
2020mike (05-07-2023), Greg in France (11-14-2016), orangeblossom (11-14-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

Originally Posted by Rivguy
I had seen a hardtop for the cabriolet listed on LA area CL almost a year ago. It replaces the folding part of the roof behind the targa area. I was looking for a hardtop for my '89 convertible. I wonder if a modern "Carson Top" could be built for a convertible.

i really like the CARSON top idea, i have seen them around but many years ago,(like 30/40 years).

most where removable , held on with clamp arraingments!

yes, would look good on my 1978 roadster, they were made from square aluminum tubing frame work, and covered with a heavy cloth, and insulated for heat in or out, and reduced noise!
and two clamps front and two rear, altho 3 might be ok for rear.

it seems that this subject was brought up on JF back couple years, sombody in NY state had a custom done!

Attached Thumbnails Needle in a Haystack: Hardtop for Jaguar XJ-SC Hess & Eisenhardt Convertible?-jag-overhead-002.jpg   Needle in a Haystack: Hardtop for Jaguar XJ-SC Hess & Eisenhardt Convertible?-mazda-jaguar-004.jpg   Needle in a Haystack: Hardtop for Jaguar XJ-SC Hess & Eisenhardt Convertible?-mazda-jaguar-001_copy.jpg  
Old 06-23-2023, 12:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

FRAUD ALART......
Not sure if this was your car, but the pictures are being used by a scammer out in California that goes by the email address of Autos Cars <autoscars381@gmail.com>. I did not fall for their BS....."Just pay me through Zelle.". What a crock.

The accomplice of this fraud was someone here on the forum going by the name of ADAT6.

Not sure if any administrators are seeing this but ADAT6 needs to be banished from the site.

nickr76 (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 05:38 PM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

The Cabriolet (XJSC) (targa style removeable roof panels), the Hess & Eisenhardt (H&E) convertible (86-88) and then the factory convertible (89- onwards) all were attempts to widen the product line to compete with Porche, Mercedes and BMW. As evidences by the sales from those years they were very successful.

The H&E cars were a stop gap measure to get a convertible to market without upsetting the production capacity at Browns lane until a suitable production line and factory engineering could set in place.
Hess and Eisenhardt were well known and experienced coach builders based in Cincinnati OH. They had been making presidential limo's, ambulances, celebrity custom cars, etc... for decades and had an excellent reputation for quality. The partnership was by no means a backyard affair. Jaguar shipped partially built Cabriolet's body shells and all attendant interior components to H&E where the convertible conversion took place followed by final assembly. I suspect mot were built to specific customer orders for paint and interior colors.
By the '89 model year the factory edition was ready for market. The convertible top lines were cleaned up a bit, the second gas tank eliminated and a storage compartment was now included, rear quarter windows were now in place and the convertible top was flatter to the body when in the down position.

I had an H&E a couple years ago that I completely disassembled. I found it in a junk yard in very rough shape. I bought it for the motor and a few other spares which are now in my garage. I sold a fair amount of the car that was common to all XJS's of the era. I still have some unique to the H&E car parts available (cheap) e.g. convertible top frame, to anyone who wants them.

Old 06-23-2023, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Admin,

As mentioned, perhaps worthwhile looking at user "ADAT6" then delete last 3 posts

Paul

Old 06-23-2023, 06:41 PM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

Just noticed that this posting was from 7 years ago. Sorry.