XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

New home for an '89 XJS :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 02:59 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default New home for an '89 XJS :)

Hello all,

Just bought a new to me '89 Jaguar XJS V12 yesterday, and wanted to share my delight. The XJS is my favorite model of Jaguar, and I still cannot believe I finally own one.

I have only driven it once so far, and that was the short test drive I took when first buying it. There seems to be an issue with the car accelerating very slowly until the trans warms up, so I left it on the trailer to take to my mechanic friend who will check it out.

It is black which is my favorite color, with a gray leather interior, and has the lattice wheels which I like, but know will take forever to touch up all the nooks and crannies.

It has some other issues as well, like the mirrors not responding to the control knobs, and the AC has no refrigerant. I am also told it needs a left front wheel bearing, and the brakes are borderline. Oh, and the trans needs a fluid/filter change, and a mount.

Since I am new to Jaguars (I bought the XJ6 less than 2 weeks ago) and new to V12's I can see this is going to be a learning experience for me. I do hope I did not bite off more than I can chew with this one though considering the amount of problems it has. Still, it ran fine once the trans was warm, and it tracked straight. There are no leaks anywhere, and the body is relatively straight, with only one area of the right rear fender where it looks like the PO side swiped a small object.

I can't wait to get it back from my mechanic after he changes all the fluids, and the trans mount, and replaces the wheel bearing so I can drive it. Although, due to my disability (my right knee does not bend more than 40 degrees), I may have to sell it because it is very uncomfortable to drive it, and get out of it. The door is not wide enough for easy egress, and the seat does not go back far enough to allow me to put my foot on the gas pedal comfortably. In the XJ6 I can raise the seat and angle it back to let me operate the gas pedal easier. Not in the XJS as it is a manual seat, and has no adjustments for raising it or tilting it that I can see.

Still, I want to enjoy it for as long as I can. I only paid $1,950 for it, and knew about the trans issue before buying it. Oh, and one plus is that it came with a service manual for it, a DMV printout, and a inspection sheet from a local mechanic, listing all trouble spots,

Jim

Attached Thumbnails New home for an '89 XJS :)-xjs0001.jpg   New home for an '89 XJS :)-xjs0005.jpg   New home for an '89 XJS :)-xjs0007.jpg   New home for an '89 XJS :)-xjs0009.jpg   New home for an '89 XJS :)-xjs0008.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (10-03-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 03:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Hi Jim,
Looks good. A serious amount of detailing required on the body and those lattice wheels (my favourite) will look outstanding once polished.

When it is done it will stop people in the street and not just turn heads.

Enjoy!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by jimbov8:
Nighteyez (10-01-2013), Stuart Beattie (10-03-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Enjoy it - I don't see many of the coupes at all so you'll have a real head turner when she's done!

The following 2 users liked this post by gkazimir:
Nighteyez (10-01-2013), Stuart Beattie (10-03-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 12:14 AM

Thanks guys,

I have a feeling I'll be keeping this one instead of the XJ6. Even if I have to put a rebuilt transmission in it. I don't see any of these on the road around here, but I do see XJ6's. Will have to do something about the seat though to make it more comfortable for me to drive.

Jim

Old 10-01-2013, 06:12 AM
Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts

Looks really nice, you'll have a ball with it!
Regarding the seat; Check out Kirby's book which can be found through links in the stickys. Just going from memory here but I seem to recall there is something easy that can be done to make the seat go back a bit further. Something about taking the rails out and turning them around.

Bill

The following 3 users liked this post by Bill C:
JimC64 (10-02-2013), Nighteyez (10-01-2013), Stuart Beattie (10-03-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 08:38 AM

Thanks for the info on the seat, will have to check it out. First thing I bought for it was the leaper on eBay. Have to have that on the hood or it is not a Jaguar.

Jim

Old 10-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Nighteyez
Thanks guys,

I have a feeling I'll be keeping this one instead of the XJ6. Even if I have to put a rebuilt transmission in it. I don't see any of these on the road around here, but I do see XJ6's.

"Unusualness" (is that a word?) of the XJS is certainly part of the appeal. Congrats on your new toy. I had an XJS for several years. The driving experience/enjoyment is well worth the effort needed to sort one out. Great cars.

Cheers
DD

Old 10-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Nighteyez
Thanks for the info on the seat, will have to check it out. First thing I bought for it was the leaper on eBay. Have to have that on the hood or it is not a Jaguar.

Jim

As you wish, but if you haven't yet done so, you might wanna look at some pics of XJSs with leapers installed before you drill any holes

Cheers
DD

Old 10-02-2013, 12:52 AM

No need to drill holes, there are already two holes in the hood where the previous leaper was installed.

Yes indeed, the unusualness is one of the reasons I like the XJS. Of course this one being black is another reason. However, the main reason is that 12 cylinder engine under the hood.

Jim

Old 10-02-2013, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 432 Likes on 376 Posts

I have the small leaper on my XJS. It uses the holes left where l took the flat badge off. I find that the smaller one looks in keeping with the car, the larger one is out of proportion....My tupence worth.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:32 AM

Didn't know they had different sizes. Will have to double check my eBay purchase to see which one I have.

Jim

Old 10-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought a leaper designed for the XJS, but decided against using it on the car. I have some gorgeous walnut bases from my grandfather and am simply going to mount it for a desk sculpture - I love the leaper, but the XJS doesn't look right with it IMO. The original design really did have its reasons.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Congrats on the new ride and welcome aboard

Nighteyez (10-03-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 10:39 AM

Interesting, I just assumed the leaper came on the front of the car. Didn't know it was a badge. I saw the two holes, and figured someone had removed the leaper. Oh well, it is already bought and paid for on eBay so I am just waiting for it to arrive.

On a happier note, the engine problem which the PO thought was a transmission problem is really only a distributor and cap issue. They have been ordered and should arrive either Friday or Monday. I was thinking the worst when I bought it, that it might need a trans rebuild. Then my mechanic tells me it is an engine problem, he checked the compression and it was good, but only one bank was getting combustion. After doing a Google search he found it is an issue with the cap and rotor.

Jim

Old 10-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Hi Jim,

It's great to see you being so busy and flaunting your rekindled passion, that's what it's all about!

I just wish I lived a wee tad nearer so could pop around in person to admire your new acquisitions!

Well done Jim and thanks for sharing your vision and taste! (Superb!)

Best regards, Stu

Nighteyez (10-03-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 11:22 PM

Like a kid waiting for Santa to deliver, I am waiting for my mechanic to deliver it back to me so I can enjoy it. With any luck it will be Tuesday of next week.

Jim

Stuart Beattie (10-08-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 01:54 PM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

The small leaper looks quite chick on these cars. Not so much the large one.
RagJag

Old 10-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My two cents. The growler looks right on the XJS. The leaper, not so much.

It's probably a stroke of luck that the car did not catch fire with that Marelli issue rearing it's head.

When I bought my car it was intended to be a project to be fixed and sold. But once I had it halfway sorted I realized that it will be a very hard car to part with. Just the nature of the beast I guess.

I am sure you will enjoy it once the issues are properly addressed.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:01 AM

Well, I have decided against putting the leaper on there, and bought the round Jaguar face emblem (growler?) Already bought one off eBay. I too am afraid that I will like the car so much I will not be able to part with it, which means the XJ6 will have to be sold instead. I bought this one to fix and sell for a profit, but if I keep it, I still need to recoup my losses, so the other Jag will have to go. However, right now, that is the one I like best because it is in better shape, and I can get in and out of it a lot easier.

If switching the seat rails makes it easier for me to operate the gas pedal then I will fix the AC, replace the torn up wood on the center console, and then do the oil and filter change as well as the air filters. I am told the brakes have about 25% of pad left, so I will take care of that as well. Maybe even buy a spare distributor cap and rotor to keep in the trunk should this issue rear its ugly head again.

Jim

Old 10-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

You think you will be able to make a profit on this car?

It has 159,000 miles?

I hope the transmission problem is an easy fix, as well as the other issues, including the A/C.

I also hope you don't find any new problems with the car.

Please keep us posted on how you make out. I don't see a lot of room in your budget to fix up this car and sell it for a profit.

Quick Reply: New home for an '89 XJS :)